Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zeitgeist: Addendum « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucNative

Starter

#15 : October 18, 2008, 09:05:20 AM

OK I haven't watched the movies yet.  I'm gonna have to do that, but I did just look up the Venus Project website and I have to say.  Why the hell does this guy design everything from houses to cars to look like they are for space cadets?  And why is every damn thing white or some boring neutral color? 

This kind of stuff will never happen because nobody wants to live in a world where everything that surrounds you is that cold and uninviting.  They need to do this stuff but still have people be able to choose how their house looks or give them a choice of vehicles and so on and so forth.  I know it seems like a simpleton rebuttal to the whole idea, but its a practical reality of how people look to create their environments that they exist in.  I mean seriously look at the guys house,  would you want to live in that thing?

Anyway, I'll comment on the Zeitgeist movies when I'm done watching them, but the wife just gave me a job to do so I won't get to it for awhile.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 18, 2008, 10:30:10 AM

You're really missing the point if you're complaining about the way things look.

That's the least of our concerns.

That's one guy's ideas, designed to get us thinking.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 18, 2008, 10:30:21 AM

i just watched all 2 hours of it.

so much interesting things.  the venus project will never happen though.  and its sad that it wont.  i dont know what will happen after our monetary system fails, but it wont be the venus project, even though it should.  getting all those different countries to agree to that system will never happen.  power trumps all.

this zeitgeist and the first are both "must watches"

im just sad that i wont live to see us overcome these problems due to ignorance in todays society.  

this dream is too far away while we have the monetary system.  and it will be the downfall of the US.  corruption is life.

i remember in high school learning about different kinds of governments.  we learned about basically communist and Federal Republic.  the differences were not that much.  my friend spoke out and said, whats so wrong with a communist type government?  the teacher and students immediately ostracized him.  but its amazing how close to communism the US is.  and how uneducated people do not even understand how close we are related.

its also interesting to see how much people thing Chavez is a bad person, when in fact he is a great person.  he is standing up for his people, and for Latin countries alike.  The US painted him this way because we could not corrupt him into selling us his oil for cheap.  instead he wanted his oil for his people.  which is great for them.

so much interesting things in there that i have thought of, but i have trouble voicing myself correctly.  i think and think and think about these things, and then the puzzle of my thinking is put together when i watched these movies.  Any person with enough sense and partial education can see what is going on.  and any educated person can see how to solve these problems.

i think the greatest point made which may have been overlooked, is the prison part.
people go to prison mostly because of the monetary system.  These people had problems growing up, and are mostly poor and had no good parenting.  and instead of getting to the root of the problem and solving it from there, we put them in jail and turn our heads, as if they are not even human.  when instead, these people needed parents, they needed money, they needed education.  if we can solve those problems, then the amount of people in jail would decrease immensely.

i am a proud american.  but i am dissapointed in our government.  I am dissapointed in the people and myself for letting these things happen.  I am dissapointed that the human race can not see past our differences to realize that we are all do come from the same place, that we are all related and that there are solutions to problems.  There will never be so much of a change like the venus project, not with the companies of the world running the world.  

we will never reach our full potential as a race in the monetary system, and never be fully moral in this system.

Nice Post..OBD

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 18, 2008, 10:33:38 AM

You're really missing the point if you're complaining about the way things look.

That's the least of our concerns.

That's one guy's ideas, designed to get us thinking.

Thats what I got out of it Joe...OBD

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 18, 2008, 10:42:31 AM

But it's even more than that.

People are going to have to give up something if they want to live in a resource based economy.
It's about the group/community. It's great to be able to live wherever you want and build whatever
house you want. But then we're right back to where we are now with the haves and the have nots.

I'd say the majority of people do not want to make this type of change. They worked hard to be where
they are and they do no want to give up what they have. I understand that. But, IMO, our future as
a species is limited unless we make some major changes and stop raping the planet of her resources.
And start thinking about the whole instead of just "me."

Now that I think about it, SBF is right: It's hard to imagine enough people coming together to do this. It's
going to begin on a small scale. It's already happened on a less technological level with the communes
and hippies. They had some of the ideas right. Just need to tweak them.

BucNative

Starter

#20 : October 18, 2008, 08:38:17 PM

Now that I think about it, SBF is right: It's hard to imagine enough people coming together to do this.

Exactly.  It will never happen.  Not to mention it ignores the reality of the human condition.  I mean really when you think about it, its communism without the monetary system.  While better in some ways perhaps, it won't work because just like communism, it ignores the human condition, which is inherently self centered.

And Joe I'm not missing the point at all.  I understand the overall principal of what he is talking about, but how does one expect this kind of thing to come about?  I'm simply talking about the simple little realities of what people are made of and what goes through peoples minds when their buying a house or car or whatever.  Like I said, I realize it seems like a simple minded rebuttal, but the realities of why people buy the houses or cars they do is not that deep.  Its a matter of what they want to come home to everyday, or what car they think exemplifies their personality, etc. 

If you want to go further than that, there are plenty of other realities of the world we live in that would contradict the idea of anything like what this guy is proposing being able to actually be achieved.  Sure as a utopian ideal it sounds great, but then again, so does communism, and we've all seen how that social experiment worked out.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 18, 2008, 11:40:38 PM

cool conversation...

although i dont think the venus project on earth would work unless our minds are cultivated to not know the monetary system...  joe said it could work small scale..  i disagree.  because even small scale things with what the guy is talking about, is all technology.  and technology costs money these days.  you cant start a non money system with buying all the materials needed.  lol.

the right things would have to fall in place for this venus project to happen.

1. major human extinction world wide.
2. a small amount of survivors.
3. the right people survive whatever caused the mass extinction.
4. technology must be advanced rapidly, while pulling resources from around the world.  (metal.. food .. water...ect..)
5.  a way for few people to somehow collect these resources, while remember... mass extinction... no transport...
6. help from other planets.

lol.

i dont see it happening while we are in the monetary mind state.  they are two separate mind sets, that conflict with every thought.

i would love for it to happen... but i dont see it happening unless the right circumstances are met

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 19, 2008, 01:26:41 AM

My wife and I just listened to a great (for the most part) "debate" on this with Alex Jones and the Zeitgeist
creator/producer, Peter Joseph.

Alex Jones acted like a buffoon every now and then but I think you'll really enjoy this...

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 19, 2008, 02:00:32 AM

I find it interesting that everyone of you here who is saying you liked that movie are planning to vote for Obama.  LOL!   

Personally, I didn't think there was anything in that movie that most people didn't already know.   There were truths in that movie - And there were also many parts where they stretched the truth.    Was it a good movie?   I would recommend it to a teenager or young adult who doesn't know much about the world yet.   But it won't have any new information for anyone over the age of 30.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 19, 2008, 02:18:43 AM

I didn't have a choice.   A hot little 24 year old venezuelan girl told me it was the best movie ever.  She had downloaded it from utorrent and forced me to watch it with her.   She's a little hippie chick with a good heart and she's out to change the world.   I love her enthusiasm and i'd marry her if I had any sense.  But I don't, so I likely won't.    There wasn't anything new in the movie as far as I was concerned.   But it was an eye opening experience for her.    We discussed what I thought was true and what I thought was false after the movie.   She's fun to discuss things with because she's so naive.   I always have a good time discussing politics or social issues with her.   :)   My favorite is when we discuss gays and what we'd do if we had a gay child as a son.   That was a discussion I'll always treasure.   An absolute riot.   LOL!     

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 19, 2008, 09:29:02 AM

Your gay child would flourish in Jacques Utopian-like world...

Snake Pliskin

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 19, 2008, 09:31:25 AM

lol joe

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 19, 2008, 03:53:16 PM

You thought that was funny?   sad.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 19, 2008, 04:05:51 PM

Jacques Fresco is 92 years old. His wife, Roxanne, who is also featured in ZA, is 59.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 20, 2008, 12:17:01 AM

I find it interesting that everyone of you here who is saying you liked that movie are planning to vote for Obama.  LOL!   

Personally, I didn't think there was anything in that movie that most people didn't already know.   There were truths in that movie - And there were also many parts where they stretched the truth.    Was it a good movie?   I would recommend it to a teenager or young adult who doesn't know much about the world yet.   But it won't have any new information for anyone over the age of 30.

F obama.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zeitgeist: Addendum « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools