Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How much is Free Agency going to cost us? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

zed

Pro Bowler

: January 01, 2007, 08:04:48 PM

How much do you think the guys we are targeting in Free Agency going to cost us?  We have our opinions of all the guys we want to get, but is it possible to get all of them?  How much money are they going to demand?
For example, Jeff Garcia - $3.5 million?  Lance Briggs - $7 million?  Dwight Freeney - $8 million?  I just threw those numbers out there.  Can someone give me realistic figures we could look at?

#1 : January 01, 2007, 08:13:22 PM

as much as teams are willing to pay.

psymun

Starter
#2 : January 01, 2007, 08:20:07 PM

If Lance Briggs get 7 Mil... it BETTER not come from the bucs... that's retarded!

#3 : January 01, 2007, 08:24:03 PM

there are a lot of teams with a LOT of $$$$ which means there will be bidding wars for the top free agents....  you can't base what guys get this offseason on what guys got in the past. Now is a great time to be a free agent... there will be some sick $$ given away.

zed

Pro Bowler

#4 : January 01, 2007, 08:28:56 PM

With mediocre pitchers from the Major Leagues getting 16 million a year, 7 million is not much.  But then again, this is not the Major Leagues.  I just want to get an idea of what it's going to cost us to shop for the "good clothes".   I'm not advocating overspending by any means, but if we're going to get our hopes up with signing Free agents, it better be realistic because I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

I think Free Agency is the key to next year.  The NFL Draft is second in importance.

#5 : January 01, 2007, 08:32:17 PM

Well let's remember the cap will go up a few million, which will feed a little extra to player contracts.

As far as the MLB, part the inflation is the fact the MLB as a business is booming and at an all time high, hence why the players are getting large deals, they're more than half the product and are reaping the results.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler
#6 : January 01, 2007, 08:46:53 PM

I really doubt we sign more than 1 high priced defensive player.  That said what about white I think we need to resign but at what price

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#7 : January 01, 2007, 08:51:11 PM

The defense is where the team needs a very big overhaul and the FO knows that one draft can't fill all those holes. Obviously, the team's offseason will be defensive heavy and I would think that Allen is gonna make a strong run for the top FA at DE, CB, LB, and S.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 01, 2007, 09:05:41 PM

Be prepared to see some astronomical numbers going to the free agents.  Its supply and demand.

So if you are preparing to rip the Bucs for overspending on free agents, you will get your chance.  But before you start spouting off, think about what your response would be if the Bucs get left by the wayside. 

The Bucs and every other team in the NFL are damned if they do and damned if they don't this year.  So if you are going to rip the Bucs, decide now which one you are going to rip them for, and stick to it. Are you going to rip them if they overspend? Or are you going to rip them if they don't have the stones to pay the huge contracts and get left out? 

Those are the two choices the Bucs will be faced with.  Don't be one of those bashers who will jump on whatever Bucs bashing train happens to be leaving the station this year.  Make up your mind now.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 01, 2007, 09:18:30 PM

Be prepared to see some astronomical numbers going to the free agents.  Its supply and demand.

So if you are preparing to rip the Bucs for overspending on free agents, you will get your chance.  But before you start spouting off, think about what your response would be if the Bucs get left by the wayside.

The Bucs and every other team in the NFL are damned if they do and damned if they don't this year.  So if you are going to rip the Bucs, decide now which one you are going to rip them for, and stick to it. Are you going to rip them if they overspend? Or are you going to rip them if they don't have the stones to pay the huge contracts and get left out?

Those are the two choices the Bucs will be faced with. Don't be one of those bashers who will jump on whatever Bucs bashing train happens to be leaving the station this year. Make up your mind now.

Exactly. Although mentioning this now doesn't really matter, we all know no matter what happens people are going to cry about it. IMO considering the fact that many teams have money to blow this year it would be wise to target two top FA's and two or three mid level FA's. For the people who think we are going to get Briggs, Freeney, Hamlin, and Allen you can forget about it. I say focus on say Freeney and Hamlin as our top tier guys and then grab guys like June and Bennett, then resign White and that will be a successful FA class if you ask me. Add in a possible trade and the draft and we could be looking good going into next season.

#10 : January 01, 2007, 09:28:27 PM

I'm sorry but Jared Allen should not even be an option, the guy is a grade A ass who should be in jail.

gone

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 01, 2007, 09:32:59 PM

I expect us to spend wisely.  By wisely I mean no screwing future cap control.  Whatever we sign guys to we can't go all McKay and dig a hole with one or two players (Booger, Rice) that screws us clearly down the road. (Although not so much Rice)
What I'd like to see is at least one impact player on each side of the ball, and several "upgrades".  Although with the room we'll have, and the ability to free up 9 more in one player, we may be able to get 3-4 impacts in FA.  Even with the inevitable bidding wars, there should be that ability.  We have a bonus compared to some other teams due to the income tax, location is a plus for many people, and coming to a young team with a well - regarded head coach (local drama notwithstanding) will also factor into the equation.  If you're offered 7 mill here or 9 in Oakland?  That's not a given that someone's going to the raiders. 

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 01, 2007, 09:35:43 PM

Caradoc has it right, spend wisely...Get  young studs like Briggs should he be available that can play for the next 5-7 years...

Baghead #2

#13 : January 01, 2007, 09:36:44 PM

what about Grant - Briggs - Hamlin, that seems like a plausible option, upgrades each line of defense.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 01, 2007, 09:47:40 PM

rigo, good points bro. We could def use a Hamlin in our lives...

If we brought in Briggs and Hamlin I would be extatic, however that would but a priority on Gaines Adams for us which isn't a bad thing. I have been a Joe Thomas guy, but my god, Calving Johnson just looks phenomenal and when he tests at the combine people are going to be drooling.

I really want Briggs should he become available and by the reports I'm reading out of the chicago tribune it appears that he wants to ge P.A.I.D. and we have the cash. To get a 26 year old OLB that fits our scheme would be great help.

Baghead #2
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How much is Free Agency going to cost us? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools