Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alan Branch « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 02, 2007, 12:25:25 PM

Anybody see a lot of Tank Tyler to make the comparison with Branch?

Yeah I have seen Tyler play a few times and he is the penetrating DT that can rush the passer (that we need) and stop the run. He had an absolute monster game against FSU and has played well all year long. Tank Tyler would be a great DT in our scheme. The guys that you have to keep your eyes on IMHO are these guys in this order that can help us ON the field (marcus thomas)...

1. Amobe Okoye
2. Marcus Thomas
3. Tank Tyler
4. Glenn Dorsey

All 4 of these guys would be great in our scheme and would love to have any one of the 4. Haven't seen too much of Dorsey so I have him 4th, but I'm looking fwd to seeing him in action, heard is a stud.

Branch is nothing more than a run clogging DT. He lacks explosion and suddeness to rush the passer. I have seen him play a few times and IMHO I think he is highly overrated. Scouts has him at #3 overall which is a complete mess. If you are looking for a big guy inside that can play the run, he is tough. He has 2 sacks on the season....

Baghead #2

zed

Pro Bowler

#16 : January 02, 2007, 12:39:26 PM

I like Okoye's potential as well.  I can't avoid it but I see a Dwight Howard in him, because of his youth and power.  Marcus Thomas has first round talent, it's the character issues that will make him available at least in the second round maybe up to the fourth.  Knowing Cincinnati, they'll probably take him in the 2nd.  I don't know much about Tank Tyler except that he has really come on this year, being overshadowed by three first rounders last year.  Glenn Dorsey was being compared to Booger McFarland.  If he's anything like Booger, I'd rather pass on him.

I agree that Branch is not the penetrating pass-rushing DT that we need, neither is Pit**CENSORED**, but those four are better bets.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 02, 2007, 12:43:37 PM

Yeah I live here in Louisville and seen Okoye play. No, I'm not a UL fan but Okoye would be a perfect fit here in our scheme. We just are not sitting in a real good spot to select him, that is the problem. My safety valve is Marcus Thomas in the 2nd. We need a good DT that can play some ball inside and Thomas can. I know he has issues but if he interviews well and only has a weed smoking problem (as reported) I think that he could work that out, similar to what Sapp did, similar circumstances.

Baghead #2

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 02, 2007, 12:57:17 PM

Calvin Johnson had a good game vs. the #49 defense in the country, and he's a good WR, but Jarrett had his big game against the #9 defense in the country, and he always comes up big in big games.

I'd rather we draft Thomas (the LT) or one of the defensive lineman out there, but if we get a WR, I won't shed a tear if it's DJ, because the guy just makes plays..

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 02, 2007, 12:56:04 PM

Isn't Branch a two-gap tackle? I'd be stunned if the Bucs even gave a thought to him. I've seen UM play a few times, and frankly, haven't been real impressed with any of their top defensive guys - Woodley, Hall, or Branch. I'm also not totally sold on Long, who says he's staying in anycase.

I had my eyeballs glued to Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas yesterday, and have to say that as impressive as Johnson is (and I've seen him on several occassions), Thomas is the pick for me. He gave up a sack, but only because he threw his man to the ground, and didn't realize that his QB had been flushed into that spot. He took his man to the ground on several occassions, and simply covered him up. They didn't run well (or often), but he consistently hit his man and turned and took shots at somebody else. I've read elsewhere that some Wisconsin fans think he was better before the knee injury. that doesn't surprise, me as those injuries take time - but if this is Thomas at 90% than look out.

Maybe it's because I've seen so much of Johnson that I'm starting to look for tiny cracks in the armor, but the one thing I worry about is that he's such a good athlete I worry that he doesn't have the precision in his game on things like routes.  Heck, precise routes would almost be a problem with the Qbs' he's had to work with.  Maybe that's just me nit-picking.  

Does anybody know his rep on routes? Sometimes it's hard to tell from the tv shots.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 02, 2007, 12:57:35 PM

If Thomas and Adamas are off the board when we pick, I wouldn't mind someone offering us a sweet trade package for CJ.

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 02, 2007, 01:04:02 PM

After watching Joe Thomas today, I'm sold. With the difficulty of getting a franchise LT in this league, I don't even think trading down and getting another 2nd round pick is worth passing him up for.

I'm with you!  He is absolutely amazing, and would make our OL one of the best in the league imho!

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 02, 2007, 01:05:10 PM

Booker Reese, yeah Branch just doesn't fit the bill at UT, he just cannot rush the passer that well. 2 sacks on the season should tell you something about that part of his game, especially with Woodley on the outside.

DJ is tough as nails but Calvin Johnson is a much better prospect IMHO. If he played for USC, my god, it would off the charts.

JT, loved the way he played against Arkansas. I have seen him several times and every single game its the samething, he just shuts down that side. I think if we can get a DE via FA Joe Thomas would be a dream come true.

If Thomas and Adams are off the board I pray to god they take Calvin Johson...unless a bradentonian said, someone offered us a sweet trade. It had better be sweet as hell because Johnson is the real deal.

Baghead #2

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 02, 2007, 01:28:16 PM

DJ is tough as nails but Calvin Johnson is a much better prospect IMHO. If he played for USC, my god, it would off the charts.

That's a good point, USC's QB position has been among the nations elite for the last 4 years, and with Jarrett or even Steve Smith on the opposite side, CJ would've seen alot more single coverage.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 02, 2007, 02:35:41 PM

Calvin Johnson had a good game vs. the #49 defense in the country, and he's a good WR, but Jarrett had his big game against the #9 defense in the country, and he always comes up big in big games.

I'd rather we draft Thomas (the LT) or one of the defensive lineman out there, but if we get a WR, I won't shed a tear if it's DJ, because the guy just makes plays..

A lot of Jarrett's yards came on that play where the safety blew his coverage.  CJ was double covered all day long and was bailing his QB the entire game.  How many wounded ducks did CJ just go up and grab in traffic?  His QB couldn't hit a barn in stride and CJ still dominated.  Jarret made some nice plays but nothing that made you just say "wow."  CJ did that all day.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 02, 2007, 02:44:38 PM

A lot of Jarrett's yards came on that play where the safety blew his coverage. CJ was double covered all day long and was bailing his QB the entire game. How many wounded ducks did CJ just go up and grab in traffic? His QB couldn't hit a barn in stride and CJ still dominated. Jarret made some nice plays but nothing that made you just say "wow." CJ did that all day.

Jarrett split the double coverage on that play, the safety just wasn't fast enough to cover him. Booty did make a perfect throw though. But that still doesn't account for the other 10 catches, 143 yards and the other TD, on All-American cornerback Leon Hall.

And Jarrett makes plays in every big game USC has. He may not have Johnson's speed, but he's plenty fast and, well, playmakers are playmakers..

Not slighting CJ, just saying Jarrett is no slouch.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 02, 2007, 02:45:01 PM

Calvin Johnson is superior to Jarret in practically every facet.

Baghead #2

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 02, 2007, 02:47:41 PM

A lot of Jarrett's yards came on that play where the safety blew his coverage. CJ was double covered all day long and was bailing his QB the entire game. How many wounded ducks did CJ just go up and grab in traffic? His QB couldn't hit a barn in stride and CJ still dominated. Jarret made some nice plays but nothing that made you just say "wow." CJ did that all day.

Jarrett split the double coverage on that play, the safety just wasn't fast enough to cover him. Booty did make a perfect throw though. But that still doesn't account for the other 10 catches, 143 yards and the other TD, on All-American cornerback Leon Hall.

And Jarrett makes plays in every big game USC has. He may not have Johnson's speed, but he's plenty fast and, well, playmakers are playmakers..

Not slighting CJ, just saying Jarrett is no slouch.

Nothing against Jarrett, but in big games Leon Hall has proven himself to be very overrated.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 02, 2007, 02:49:49 PM

Nothing against Jarrett, but in big games Leon Hall has proven himself to be very overrated.

That's kind of a blanket statement you can apply to UM football in general.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 02, 2007, 02:50:39 PM

That's kind of a blanket statement you can apply to UM football in general.

I won't argue with that.  Their Defense didn't live up to the hype vs. USC.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alan Branch « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools