Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Palin Met With Boos at Flyers’ Opener « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 10 11 12

Snake Pliskin

Hall of Famer

#165 : October 15, 2008, 06:06:04 PM

Why can't a soldiers wife get off her "arse" and work? And pay her rent? Instead of asking us to do it?

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#166 : October 15, 2008, 06:11:00 PM

Why can't a soldiers wife get off her "arse" and work? And pay her rent? Instead of asking us to do it?

So we are comparing soldiers and their families to those that do nothing but cash a check....just wanted to be on the same wavelength.

Snake Pliskin

Hall of Famer

#167 : October 15, 2008, 06:11:54 PM

What if someone IS working and can't make ends meet?

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

Snake Pliskin

Hall of Famer

#168 : October 15, 2008, 06:12:59 PM

I'll give you that there are those who abuse the system and I think they are scum. But not every case is as cut and dried as that.

kmitchell

Starter

#169 : October 15, 2008, 06:14:48 PM

What about the people who works for minimum wage and have a child? Do we just let them starve?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#170 : October 15, 2008, 06:15:10 PM

That's different.

That's the problem with the welfare system as it stands today.  It's damn-near impossible to tell the people who actually need it and the ones who are abusing the system.

But to somehow compare welfare to the military is faulty logic, IMO.

Snake Pliskin

Hall of Famer

#171 : October 15, 2008, 06:15:43 PM

Agree to disagree then.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#172 : October 15, 2008, 06:16:37 PM

What about the people who works for minimum wage and have a child? Do we just let them starve?

Charities, Soup Kitchens, Food Pantries, etc..  There are plenty of groups out there that help people in those situations.

You know, some people have more than one job...

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#173 : October 15, 2008, 06:24:02 PM

That's different.

That's the problem with the welfare system as it stands today.  It's damn-near impossible to tell the people who actually need it and the ones who are abusing the system.

But to somehow compare welfare to the military is faulty logic, IMO.

It's faulty because of the way one looks at it. Whether you're in the military or not, if you don't make enough to make ends meet you don't make enough to make ends meet. This is a fundamental difference between liberals and conservatives. Liberals want to make sure that everyone that actually NEEDS help gets it. Conservatives are more concerned with making sure that those who DON'T need it, don't get it.... and if that means some needy do without, so be it ..... the tone of the posts on this thread bear that out.... IMO.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#174 : October 15, 2008, 06:32:23 PM

It's faulty because of the way one looks at it. Whether you're in the military or not, if you don't make enough to make ends meet you don't make enough to make ends meet.

People that are in the military are doing something to earn what they are given.  That most definitely cannot be said of most welfare recipients.

This is a fundamental difference between liberals and conservatives. Liberals want to make sure that everyone that actually NEEDS help gets it. Conservatives are more concerned with making sure that those who DON'T need it, don't get it.... and if that means some needy do without, so be it ..... the tone of the posts on this thread bear that out.... IMO.

I would love to know what post you gathered that Conservative stance.  I don't know any person, Conservative or Liberal, who doesn't want people that NEED help to get it.  The question at hand is how much should the gov't provide?  How long does the gov't provide it?  Should we make the welfare recipients comfy enough to where they do want to get out of that welfare-cycle?

But no one wants those that NEED the help to not get that help.

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#175 : October 15, 2008, 07:13:16 PM

big difference of opinion - you think people are owed or entitled to help, i think i should be allowed to help when i can and not be forced to.  and if it is inconvenient for me to help because i am tending to personal issues, then my efforts to deliver on those issues takes precedence over someone else's immediate need that they should be working on addressing.

i don't think this country owes anyone a thing, not a dime, nothing.  if anyone that is here believe they do deserve something that's where we agree to disagree.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#176 : October 15, 2008, 07:22:09 PM

I would love to know what post you gathered that Conservative stance.  I don't know any person, Conservative or Liberal, who doesn't want people that NEED help to get it.  The question at hand is how much should the gov't provide?  How long does the gov't provide it?  Should we make the welfare recipients comfy enough to where they do want to get out of that welfare-cycle?

But no one wants those that NEED the help to not get that help.

Sadly, I think some people do feel NO ONE should get help from the government -- no matter what their situation is.

But the rest of your post is dead on -- who gets the help and for how long is the big problem.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#177 : October 15, 2008, 07:48:10 PM

Sadly, I think some people do feel NO ONE should get help from the government -- no matter what their situation is.

Probably so, but I think "from the government" is the key phrase.  I would like to think that all would like to see those in need receive that need, but receive it from charities, food pantries, etc..  People have the fear, and rightfully so, when government gets involved it usually doesn't end well.

Page: 1 ... 10 11 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Palin Met With Boos at Flyers’ Opener « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools