Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BOISE STATE EARNED CO-NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP 13-0! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #30 : January 02, 2007, 05:31:27 PM »

How about this, you have the most pure sport on the planet. Kids, that go to school, play for the schools, each other, not a paycheck or for contracts or endorsements. Its the best sport we have seen and its the only damn one without a freaking tournament to decide the champ...

Baghead #2

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

« #31 : January 02, 2007, 06:08:19 PM »

13-0 is scoreboard. They did their talking on the field. Michigan did their talking to the Media.....

This is the reason they need a playoff and if a 1 loss Florida team beats Ohio... (They Wont) but lets just say the impossible happens and they should beat Ohio State.. Then you will have a BCS team that is 13-0 and you are going to give a BCS team that has 1 loss the Championship??

Heck the way the SEC is losing in Bowl Games a 1 loss Wisconson team should also be considered then.. Who did WI beat?? Oh yeah a SEC TEAM!! Nuff Said

The only thing wrong with that scenario is BSU is not a BCS team they were an at large mid minor-major ranked 9th in the National Standings that were invited to a BCS bid game -- but they have no BCS tie in. And baeting OU by 1 pt in OT will not let them jump, USC, Wisc, and you still have Louisville, LSU, Fla, and OSU left. No way they jump to a #1 co national champ when you have 5 respectively left ahead of them and clearly at least 3 will stay ahead of them winning their bowl games. The best they could finish in the cpu rank is 4th. But it would be interesting to see what AP voters say-- they have always hated the BCS. So they may try to turn the poll upside down but they would be screwing at least three teams in doing so and the pressure for that would likely make them think more than twice when large programs would rain down on them with a fury.

A playoff system needs to be invented for sure -- but even if said playoff system involved the top 8 with the 4 major bowls plus one and then the champ game system that most agree on, BSU finshed #9 and would be on the outside looking in. they finshed #8 in the BCS polls but the BCS would be no longer so the AP and coaches poll would have decided the playoff race and BSU would have been out. The truth of the matter is the mid majors need to get more competitive to even matter and the BCS has given them more of a shot than AP ever has-- it has allowed 2 mid majors in the past 3 years now to play a major BCS game.

On a side note even more impressive with BSU is they have only been a D1 program for 11 seasons now. They need to bid for a spot in a major conference if they want the tie ins and the national respect.

But they deserve alot of credit for their play-- i thought for sure they were done when OU returned the pick for the TD.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #32 : January 02, 2007, 06:15:02 PM »

Boise does not deserve a part of the national championship. 1.) They are 2-8 v.s. ranked opponents since they have moved to Divison 1-A  2.) Last time we had this argument it was in 2004 I believe and when they played a good team in the sugar bowl they got destroyed 3.) They beat a 2 loss team in Oklahoma woooo......it was a great great game....but on the larger scale it meant nothing.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #33 : January 02, 2007, 06:20:44 PM »

Even Oklahoma this year wasn't that good.

If not for that completely bogus call against Oregon, Oklahoma would have had a good case to be in the National Championship game.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #34 : January 02, 2007, 06:21:28 PM »

Boise does not deserve a part of the national championship. 1.) They are 2-8 v.s. ranked opponents since they have moved to Divison 1-A

How does that matter this year?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #35 : January 02, 2007, 06:25:35 PM »

Boise St. had a great year.

Could they beat MIchigan, or Ohio State?

Maybe.  Maybe not.  THat is why a playoff system should be in place.

Of course, there is more money by having these retread "Bowl" games, so it will not change.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #36 : January 02, 2007, 06:42:57 PM »

Boise does not deserve a part of the national championship. 1.) They are 2-8 v.s. ranked opponents since they have moved to Divison 1-A

How does that matter this year?

I guess it doesnt matter so much this year depending on how much credibility you give to recent history but it seems like every year I have this argument with boise state fans and when given the chance they get crushed by ranked teams that actually deserve BCS consideration.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #37 : January 02, 2007, 07:14:48 PM »

don't think so ... whatever

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #38 : January 02, 2007, 07:46:15 PM »

13 -0 is 13-0  Didn't Oregon State beat USC?     It is all about personal opinion over factual wins and losses.   It seems everyone will rationalize every loss for the team or conference they are a fan, and will spend an equal amount of time disparaging every win  a team has in a conference that isn't their fav.

A real playoff would be an OBJECTIVE RESOLVEMENT to Division One rather than the totally subjective ending we have at present.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #39 : January 02, 2007, 08:00:48 PM »

13 -0 is 13-0 Didn't Oregon State beat USC? It is all about personal opinion over factual wins and losses. It seems everyone will rationalize every loss for the team or conference they are a fan, and will spend an equal amount of time disparaging every win a team has in a conference that isn't their fav.

A real playoff would be an OBJECTIVE RESOLVEMENT to Division One rather than the totally subjective ending we have at present.

dont go down the whole "they beat them and that team beat them" road because then technically Kansas would be better then West Virginia.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

« #40 : January 02, 2007, 08:13:57 PM »

Of course, there is more money by having these retread "Bowl" games, so it will not change.

Can you  explain that alittle farther-- I know your argument is for the playoff system but why would the money matter. Couldn't they keep the monies the same for a playoff and use the current bowls as the playoff system and add another national bowl - this would clearly be adding more money for whoever buys the rights to that sponsorship. If you ask me the bowls would earn more money as every game would matter- more television exposure and more NCAA fans watching. Playoffs just make too much sense in the whole scheme of things.

I have also heard that the money is what matters to these program heads-- but doesn't it make more sense with more fans watching and adding another game would bring in more NCAA revenue. Or am i just naive to how the current monies work and this means more money to them now.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #41 : January 02, 2007, 08:33:18 PM »

No the playoff does not bring in more money.  Detracts from all the "other bowls".  Interest can't go higher, but rather lower.  IF colleges thought there was another 5 cents to be made the change would occur today.  There isn't, and that is why there hasn't been a change to a playoff system.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
« #42 : January 02, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »

Jason you may be right but I bet if Florida wins that they do not win it outright. I bet you the Boise State gets a few first place votes!!!

Say what you want but they deserve a few.

Personally I bet that Florida will not get within 21 of Ohio State at the end    42-21 Ohio State!

Don't get me wrong, I hate the BCS with a passion. I, like most rational college football fans, favor a playoff. Hell, If I-AA, II, and III can manage a playoff - why not Division I? I'll tell you why - the Bowls are a racket. Almost as bad as the Oil ty**CENSORED**s. They have the NCAA brainwashed into believing there's no money in a playoff - at least not the kinda of money the bowls bring to schools. (Nevermind the fact that the NCAA Tournament in Basketball is nearly just as lucrative).

You don't have to scrap the bowl system.

You can use the bowls for the playoffs if you want. Top 8 teams selected by a selection committee - BCS if it has to be. #1 vs. #8 in the Fiesta Bowl, #2 v #7 in the Outback Bowl, #3 v. #6 in the Capital One Bowl, #4 v 5 in the Orange Bowl - Final Four - 1/8 vs. 4/5 in the Sugar, 2/7 vs. 3/6 in the Rose Bowl - Championship - Played in the Fiesta Bowl as the true NCAA National Championship Game...

It rotates every year. The top 8 teams in the country get the shot...I think its fair. You can have provisions like "Team must win their conference to participate in the tournament - unless they're an independent - like ND".

As for Florida and OSU...maybe I'm wrong, maybe OSU wipes the floor with the Gators - however - remember this - for 50 days, the Gators have been hearing about how great OSU is. For 50 days, Florida's defensive coordinator Charlie Strong has been in the lab study every weakness (if any) OSU has. For 50 days Urban Meyer has been in the lab dissecting the OSU defense (which, btw, is not elite). Of course, Tressel has been afforded the same opportunity, but for all this time, everyone has gone on about how the Gators don't belong in this game.

Florida has faced and beaten 4 teams in the top 15. Florida's only loss came on the road against one of the top teams in the country and by a disputed call. Florida has played two games since OSU last took the field against Michigan.

Speaking of Michigan - that was the only team OSU faced in the top 15 this year - and they nearly beat OSU IN Columbus.

Michigan's defense is not even close to Florida's in terms of playmakers and team speed.

Not to mention (and bare with me here), Florida beat Florida State on the road, who beat UCLA handidly in their bowl game...UCLA beat USC - who just handed Michigan their ass in the Rose Bowl

Bottom-line, Florida is battle-tested, fresher, has the athletes to compete, and has a big chip on their shoulder. Plus, Urban is a frakking genius, give him 50 days to prepare for ANYONE...

Next Monday, I truly believe Florida shocks the world.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
« #43 : January 02, 2007, 10:26:37 PM »

Boise State did win the State of Idaho title and hell they can be Division 2 Champs if they want but just because they beat an OVERRATED Oklahoma team this does not mean they get Co-National Championship status.  I never expected them to beat Oklahoma but being from Oklahoma it made me laugh as whenever Oklahoma State wins and OU gets beat it is a good day.  Screw Oklahoma and their sorry ex Croc coach.  Boise State could not beat any of the top five schools as Ohio State, LSU, Florida, Michigan and USC would beat them on a consistent basis.  Congrats to Boise State but next year please schedule something more than a high school schedule if you want to hang with the big boys.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #44 : January 02, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »

Can you  explain that alittle farther-- I know your argument is for the playoff system but why would the money matter. Couldn't they keep the monies the same for a playoff and use the current bowls as the playoff system and add another national bowl - this would clearly be adding more money for whoever buys the rights to that sponsorship. If you ask me the bowls would earn more money as every game would matter- more television exposure and more NCAA fans watching. Playoffs just make too much sense in the whole scheme of things.

I have also heard that the money is what matters to these program heads-- but doesn't it make more sense with more fans watching and adding another game would bring in more NCAA revenue. Or am i just naive to how the current monies work and this means more money to them now.
I have listened to enough of these arguments to know that the Bowl games brings in more money, and that is why the inadequate system retains its place.  Money rules, simple as that.

Otherwise, it WOULD be a playoff system.  That is the ultimate, final bottom line.  There is no other reason why.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BOISE STATE EARNED CO-NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP 13-0! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools