Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: our 2nd rd pick from the colts.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

4bucs

Hall of Famer
: January 02, 2007, 08:07:10 AM

if they lose next week the very first playoff game where will we pick in the 2nd rd.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 02, 2007, 08:15:40 AM

if they lose next week the very first playoff game where will we pick in the 2nd rd.

Good question but it really doesn't matter we have two 2nds so we're going to get two good players or better or draft position in a round by trading it...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#2 : January 02, 2007, 11:44:00 AM

I believe that would be 22nd or 23rd...

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 02, 2007, 11:43:14 AM

they'd be the highest-placed team to lose wildcard weekend, which i believe puts them at 24 or 25....but i'm not sure if playoff finishes matter outside the 2nd round except superbowl winner at 32 and runner-up at 31....if it doesn't, they might be closer to 28 based on their record.

Cheers

Pro Bowler

#4 : January 02, 2007, 11:45:56 AM

Finally a chance to really go shopping.

zed

Pro Bowler

#5 : January 02, 2007, 11:58:36 AM

They are in the 29th position right now.  They will flip flop picks with New England in the second round because they are tied for the record, barring neither make it to the Super bowl.  If Colts get to the Super Bowl but lose (31), if they win (32).  If New England gets to the Super bowl regardless if they win or lose, Colts should be picking 28th in all the rounds.

#6 : January 02, 2007, 12:52:07 PM

They are in the 29th position right now.  They will flip flop picks with New England in the second round because they are tied for the record, barring neither make it to the Super bowl.  If Colts get to the Super Bowl but lose (31), if they win (32).  If New England gets to the Super bowl regardless if they win or lose, Colts should be picking 28th in all the rounds.

Correct Zed, they are fixed at 28th or 29th UNLESS they make the SB.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 02, 2007, 01:21:19 PM

Seriously, how many of you are going to be pissed if we have the say 36th and the 64th pick in the second round giving us 4 day one players?  If picked well all of these guys could be major players next year giving us more youth which probably takes away from your win total, but more upside with some well placed vets on defense...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#8 : January 02, 2007, 02:03:03 PM

Seriously, how many of you are going to be pissed if we have the say 36th and the 64th pick in the second round giving us 4 day one players?  If picked well all of these guys could be major players next year giving us more youth which probably takes away from your win total, but more upside with some well placed vets on defense...

Better still, how about trading down a few spots in the 1st round for an extra 2nd round pick.  Then maybe trading Kelly or Rice for a 2nd or 3rd respectively.  With 5 or 6 day one picks they could do some major retooling.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 02, 2007, 02:11:20 PM

Better still, how about trading down a few spots in the 1st round for an extra 2nd round pick. Then maybe trading Kelly or Rice for a 2nd or 3rd respectively. With 5 or 6 day one picks they could do some major retooling.

I happen to think we need those guys next year...

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 02, 2007, 05:00:41 PM

Yeah, why does everybody want to trade Rice and Kelly?

A) We don't need the cap room at this point.

B) If they are healthy, they are quite useful players. Maybe Rice isn't what he was a few years ago, but you stick a free agent end like Charles Grant or Adalius Thomas on the other side and I think we'll see a bit of resurgance out of Rice.  And I don't think anybody that has seen us play in 2003 and last year doesn't think we are better with BK.

C) If they aren't healthy, we aren't getting a 2 or a 3 for them.

It seems to me, if we are interested in stopping the bleeding on the D, part of the solution is getting those guys back in the lineup.

Ft. Myers Buc Fan

Practice Squad

#11 : January 02, 2007, 05:39:32 PM

I dont think anyone can really be upset where that pick is in the 2nd round because it was a gift.  Allen fleeced the Colts on that deal.  McFarland has been a disaster and we would have flat released him in the offseason if not for the Colts trading for him.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 02, 2007, 05:46:35 PM

agree booker, seems silly to say "we need help at DL and DB" and then in the same breath declare that we have 2 guys at those positions good enough to net us 1st day picks. 

we do need help at DL and DB, but it starts with keeping what works given the lack of a cap squeeze.

and to put in perspective what those trades might be worth if they were made, how many players that we've drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round recently would be worth an outright swap for rice or kelly?  not many, they're more valuable than a typical 2nd or 3rd round at the moment.

to oversimplify it a bit, even with a 6-sack 2007 season, simeon's more disruptive than this year's #1 overall pick, what the heck does a 2nd or 3rd round pick guarantee you that tops sim's track record when healthy?

zed

Pro Bowler

#13 : January 02, 2007, 05:53:50 PM

Well, the reasoning behind that is if we trade Simeon we gain about $9 million more we can use for free agents.  Now tell me that doesn't make sense.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 02, 2007, 06:32:47 PM

Well, the reasoning behind that is if we trade Simeon we gain about $9 million more we can use for free agents.  Now tell me that doesn't make sense.

I believe the FO is considering weighing exactly that.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: our 2nd rd pick from the colts.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools