Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tidbit on Alstott « previous next »
Page: 1

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

: October 14, 2008, 01:00:33 PM

When I think of Mike Alstott, two things always come to mind. I had the good fortune to cover Alstott's first three seasons with the Bucs when I worked for The Tampa Tribune.

The first thing that struck me was Alstott's power running and physical style. The guy was a moose and his feet may have made him the final fullback to really have much impact as a runner. Fullbacks today just block.

I'll be thinking about Alsott dragging defenders on Sunday when the Bucs honor the recently-retired fullback at halftime of the game with Seattle.

The second thing about Alstott is a lesson I think about every year when the draft comes around and people start talking about 40-yard-dash times, vertical leaping ability and potential.

I was sitting in Tampa Bay general manager Rich McKay's office one day during the 1997 season when Tony Dungy's Bucs were just starting to get good. I was working on a story about how the Bucs had used the draft to build this team. We started to talk about Alstott and McKay made a comment that floored me and, then, made me realize how brilliant it was in its simplicity.

I wasn't able to find the exact McKay quote because it came well before everything got saved forever on the web. But I'm sure it was something close to this.

"When we drafted Mike Alsott, we drafted a guy with absolutely no potential,'' McKay said. "We knew he wasn't going to get any better than he was. But he was already a very good football player and that was good enough for us.''

Moral of the story: Take the guy that's the good football player over the guy who is just an athlete. The football player has produced. The other guy just has potential. Production should be more important than potential.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-4-87/Alstott-s-legacy-on-display-Sunday-night.html

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 14, 2008, 01:04:00 PM

Moral of the story: Take the guy that's the good football player over the guy who is just an athlete. The football player has produced. The other guy just has potential. Production should be more important than potential.

Probably the single most important line for every team to follow. Which is why Dexter Jackson should not have been drafted.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#2 : October 14, 2008, 01:23:11 PM

I wasn't able to find the exact McKay quote because it came well before everything got saved forever on the web. But I'm sure it was something close to this.

"When we drafted Mike Alsott, we drafted a guy with absolutely no potential,'' McKay said. "We knew he wasn't going to get any better than he was. But he was already a very good football player and that was good enough for us.''

Who knows how accurate this quote is, since the writer admits he couldn't find proof of the quote, just something he thinks he remembers from over 10 years ago.   ...I read something by Dungy in which he said that they wanted to pick another player at that spot, but got screwed by the Jets in some agreement they had with them.  They were left scrambling, took a look at their board, and picked Alstott. Tony said they acted like everything was great after the draft, but really were disappointed they didn't get the guy they originally wanted.   Of course it worked out for them in the end

I was sitting in Tampa Bay general manager Rich McKay's office one day during the 1997 season when Tony Dungy's Bucs were just starting to get good.

Lol. Could you imagine Bruce Allen inviting reporters into his office?  Shows more insight into why McKay was so loved by the local media hacks around here, and why Allen is so despised
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tidbit on Alstott « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools