Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Here is the info about derrick strait and new york « previous next »
Page: 1 2

veritas

Practice Squad

: October 11, 2006, 10:28:12 PM

He did not have any problems picking up the defense, he played right and left cornerback, strong and free safety and nickleback. He had to learn each position and that is probably an indication that he did not have problems picking up the defense. He was running second team cornerback and then hen he started at safety two of the last three games. But Poteat is a Mangini guy and he wanted poteat more than strait. Strait's days were numbered after he was traded and then was traded back to the jets. He has not made the impact that you would expect the thorpe award winner to make. However, the best thing about the Bucs is that they run a cover 2 defense and that's the type of defense he ran during his four years at OU. The rumors in New YOrk are that five-seven teams placed claims on him, including the lions, texans, ravens, browns, eagles and the saints, but the Bucs had the worst record of the teams claiming him so they were awarded the rights to him.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 11, 2006, 10:32:42 PM

good info ... great 1st post

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 11, 2006, 10:31:12 PM

Thanks for passing along the info.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#3 : October 11, 2006, 10:35:06 PM

Wow thanks for digging that up. It seems as though he is a quite promising claim.

Rarely do these types of moves work out, but here is to hoping this one does.

veritas

Practice Squad

#4 : October 11, 2006, 10:39:56 PM

Strait has good speed, but he operates much better in a cover 2 zone defense. Rhonde Barber was a similar type of player, he is a much better player because he is in a cover 2. I think Strait will excel in the defense, not saying he will take over at CB or safety, but he will be able to contribute immediately because he knows the defense. Donte Nicholson and Lynn Mcgruder both have said in the past that the transition was easier to the Bucs defense since they were comfortable with the scheme. Although, neither one of those guys made it, Strait was a better prospect than both of those players.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 11, 2006, 10:42:05 PM

Right now, I think they should just try anything. I'm about ready to see if my 8-year-old can try out.  ;) He's small, but he's fast!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 11, 2006, 10:47:32 PM

Strait has good speed, but he operates much better in a cover 2 zone defense. Rhonde Barber was a similar type of player, he is a much better player because he is in a cover 2. I think Strait will excel in the defense, not saying he will take over at CB or safety, but he will be able to contribute immediately because he knows the defense. Donte Nicholson and Lynn Mcgruder both have said in the past that the transition was easier to the Bucs defense since they were comfortable with the scheme. Although, neither one of those guys made it, Strait was a better prospect than both of those players.

Zemaitis has the same understanding of the Cover 2 that Strait has as well.  Studied it intensley at Penn St, was even a Bucs fan.  Hopefully wit hthese two guys being as young as they are, and having the knowledge of the cover 2 they do, they can pick up as many tips as they can from Barber and BK before their time comes.  I like the pickup, but he is another arm tackler, and the Bucs do need better tackling amongst other things.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 11, 2006, 10:50:15 PM

Derek Strait.  Wasn't he the guy the Jets traded Suggs for originally?  And the trrade fell through because Suggs failed his physical?

I think he was the guy.  Not sure though.

veritas

Practice Squad

#8 : October 11, 2006, 10:53:13 PM

Respectfully disagree about being an arm tackler. He was a solid tackler on the jets team, that is why he was able to move to safety. A safety has to be a better tackler than a corner. All players tend tackle with their arms at one point, but i will eat my words if he is an arm tackler while at tampa

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 11, 2006, 10:57:35 PM

Respectfully disagree about being an arm tackler. He was one of the best tacklers on the jets team, that is why he was able to move to safety. A safety has to be a better tackler than a corner. All players tend tackle with their arms at one point, but i will eat my words if he is a arm tackler while at tampsa

Cool.

It says he is a team first guy, so he must be aware of his flaws, and probably works very hard at improving his self.

It is still odd to see him bounced around so much.  He may not be a guy whop has lived up to potential, and a second team CB/S, but why couldn't he be kept as a backup?  Most teams like to have depth, and it would seem he would add it to the Jets, irregardless of Poteat...

Just sayin' is all.

IMO, he is a wise p/u by the Bucs because they are hurting at the safety spot right now.  But he sounds like a project to me...and a 190 pound safety is kind of small, isn't it?

veritas

Practice Squad

#10 : October 11, 2006, 11:01:54 PM

as you can tell, I am a fan, so i acknowledge being a little biased. He was traded to cleveland for suggs, then the jets had to take him back. I think it was an uncomfortable position for the jets and for strait. He is too small for safety, he weighs around 197, which is decent, but not great. Eugene wilson is a similar player with the patriots, about the same size, etc. I think the bucs are bringing him into play corner, but he can provide depth at safety in case he needs to fill in there. Just my humble opinion

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#11 : October 11, 2006, 11:06:03 PM

Sweet info, I'm excited about this Cat.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 11, 2006, 11:10:09 PM

Veritas=Truth.

LOL!  Let us all hope he works out.  At least he was a cheap pickup.  Low risk/high reward is the way around Tampa Bay these days.  Unfortunately, those projects usually wind up failing, but we can all hope.

gonzalez

Rookie

#13 : October 11, 2006, 11:24:48 PM

lets try this guy out at safety

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#14 : October 11, 2006, 11:57:09 PM

I hope you're right about him not being an arm tackler. From many of his bios, that seems to be the knock on him.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Here is the info about derrick strait and new york « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools