Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Here is the info about derrick strait and new york « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Larry Brackins

Starter
#15 : October 12, 2006, 12:51:21 AM

Was Strait the guy that took the kick back for a TD against the Colts?

Can he return kicks?

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

LA BUC

Starter

#16 : October 12, 2006, 12:58:06 AM

Were going to need him this sunday Palmer and Cincy go deep and we need a new cover safety with speed . Put him back there with Allen  NOW!

Huey Freeman

Starter

#17 : October 12, 2006, 02:11:10 AM

I think he will get a look at Safety.  I can't imagine them bringing him in to play CB this year.  Maybe that is where his future is, but this year we need a lot of help in the deep secondary.  I have always liked Strait.  I think he might be able to produce for us.  What do we have to lose at this point???

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 12, 2006, 02:18:47 AM

I think he will get a look at Safety. I can't imagine them bringing him in to play CB this year. Maybe that is where his future is, but this year we need a lot of help in the deep secondary. I have always liked Strait. I think he might be able to produce for us. What do we have to lose at this point???

Why couldn't you see them bringing him in to play corner?  B.K. is questionable again with Turf Toe, and that issue isn't leaving him anytime this year.  It could be a career killer at his age.  WHo knows.  Based on his description, he knows the cover 2, played in it at OU, is coachable, a team first guy, and can flat out run.

Who backs up B.K.?  There isn't a whole lot of depth there.

Pearson, Phillips, and Allen are beginning a rotation of some kind, I am pretty sure based on what I have read, and what we seen on Sunday.  And based on how the Bucs handled their safety issues last year.

Plus Strait is 190 pounds.  I doubt he has the girth to play SS.  Not saying he can, but I highly doubt it.

Huey Freeman

Starter

#19 : October 12, 2006, 06:39:59 AM

I think it is possible that down the road, he might play corner.  But we have 5 CBs on the roster who have been here all off-season and throughout camp.  Bolden, Cox, and Zemaitis I think would get the call over a guy just recently claimed off waivers.  And also, Blue Adams has experience playing corner in our system.  The corner play has been ok, it is the safety play that has been abysmal.  Strait has experience playing both.  If I had to guess, I think Strait would first get a look at Safety.  But, I'm just guessing. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 12, 2006, 07:09:35 AM

I say Strait will be playing corner most likely. 

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 12, 2006, 07:56:52 AM

I say Strait will be playing corner most likely. 

I agree... with Bk having toe issues and Bolden nursing a sore hip, I believe he was pulled in to fill that void. His playing time at safety makes him valuable because he can float to different positions if needed. Anyone know what his special teams skills can bring to the table? Thats an area we desparately need to improve on.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

simms22

Second String

#22 : October 12, 2006, 08:41:40 AM

Why couldn't you see them bringing him in to play corner? B.K. is questionable again with Turf Toe, and that issue isn't leaving him anytime this year. It could be a career killer at his age. WHo knows. Based on his description, he knows the cover 2, played in it at OU, is coachable, a team first guy, and can flat out run.

Who backs up B.K.? There isn't a whole lot of depth there.

Pearson, Phillips, and Allen are beginning a rotation of some kind, I am pretty sure based on what I have read, and what we seen on Sunday. And based on how the Bucs handled their safety issues last year.

Plus Strait is 190 pounds. I doubt he has the girth to play SS. Not saying he can, but I highly doubt it.
I think strait will be a future starter at corner although this year i think he could be used as both a corner and safety. Hes built to play cornerback and has the physical tools to play it, not safety. Hopefully him and zemaitis will develop into the starting corners over time, and we can focus early in the draft on dline or LB.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 12, 2006, 09:30:04 AM

with BK's turf toe pretty much guaranteed to get worse and bolden's injury, this move makes all the sense in the world. i'm betting he'll be active on sunday and get a crack at special teams right away.

until he's more comfortable here, though, he's going to be behind zemaitis and cox on the depth chart at CB

edit: just saw that he had 15 tackles behind the LOS in colllege.  sounds like a tackler to me.

NYJ EcKo151

Rookie

#24 : October 12, 2006, 03:31:28 PM

I noticed Tampa claimed Strait, and as a Jets fan, i'll offer some insight...

Coming out of college, Strait won the Nagurski Award and Jim Thorpe award...He had a bad pro-day so his stock slid from a late-1st possibly 2nd all the way to the Jets 3rd round pick. We were all excited needless to say because at the time, Herm Edwards was running the Cover-2 base. Strait couldn't beat out Terrell Buckley, and injuries hindered him...But he finished the season ok, and did a solid job at Pittsburgh in the AFC Divisional Game in 04'.

He couldn't crack the starting lineup and it was frustrating because we wanted to see what he could do. With Mangini, Strait got moved to Safety after the trade to Cleveland was nullified...He did OK, but fits alot better as a CB in the Cover-2.

In Oklahoma, as most of you know, they ran a Cover-2 style defense...He ran a 4.56 coming out of college, but that doesn't matter a whole lot in the Cover-2, he has very good instincts and knows Zone coverage very well, don't know much about his burst.

Being only 26, with him and Zemaitis learning under Ronde Barber and Monte Kiffin...He could be a pretty solid RCB in this scheme...

TBayJJ

Second String

#25 : October 12, 2006, 05:59:26 PM

good info, didn't know that
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Here is the info about derrick strait and new york « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools