Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: AZ talking to Norm Chow « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bucnut

Hall of Famer
« : January 02, 2007, 11:05:37 AM »

Just heard on cold pizza that the Cards have gotten permission to talk with Chow.  Now that might be a match made in heaven for Leinart to be reunited with his old coach.  Hmmmm.....

NFC South BBS  Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

« #1 : January 02, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »

Well he and Fisher wanted Leinart to be the pick, but the owner overruled them and chose Vince Young so who knows what he would be able to do with 'his guy' after seeing how fast he turned Young into a stud.

bucnut

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 02, 2007, 11:08:53 AM »

Yeah, his work with Young is amazing.  Definitely don't want to see him do the same with Vick, so c'mon Cards, he's your new coach!!!

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #3 : January 02, 2007, 11:10:17 AM »

How about bringing him to Tampa and allowing him to teach Gruden a thing or two!

« #4 : January 02, 2007, 11:16:24 AM »

How about bringing him to Tampa and allowing him to teach Gruden a thing or two!
Did Chucky like....hit on your wife or not respond to your 'YOU'RE MY HERO MR. GRUDEN' fanmail?

BucfaninDC

Starter

« #5 : January 02, 2007, 11:19:14 AM »

Gruden will never hire a full-time OC.  I would love to see him pick up an assistant though.  One that would sit in the booth on gameday and give him a fresh perspective on the play calling.  Gruden is great at matchups, but I think he needs help on gametime adjustments.  If his offense works in the first half, the other team adjusts, and Gruden sometimes looks lost on how to fix it in the second half.  If the O sucks in the first half, I haven't seen him make good adjustments at halftime to beat the defense.  

I think he needs an assistant OC in the booth, that at halftime and even during the game let him know, "hey I saw them run this defense, here is what might work against it."  Somewhere along those lines.  
It doesn't mean Gruden is a bad coach, hell it makes him a better coach for realizing his own weaknesses and making the necessary changes to fix them.  

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #6 : January 02, 2007, 12:10:30 PM »

BucFaninDC, that's pretty much what hackett does....people seem to think he's running this offense in a void, but hackett seems to be a regular sounding board and a huge influence with the QBs (supposedly gruden's exclusive domain).  he also appointed Valero, his RB coach to assistant HC to fill Marinelli's void, so obviously he leans on his offensive staff alot. also, in oakland callahan was central enough to the offensive goings-on to be able to take over after he left. heck, we even hear stories about players giving feedback during the game that he uses (pittman reccomending the rail route for his long TD catch in '05 comes to mind)

i think it's a misconception, just like "gruden only likes over-the-hill guys" that will maybe be dispeled over time. lots of coaches call their own plays on one side of the ball, doesn't mean they're not listening to anybody else.

as for chow, it'd be very impressive to go from college coordinator to NFL HC in 2 years' time.  i wonder if jeff fisher, who is one of my favorite coaches, isn't getting enough credit for this team's revival.  the defense & ST have been full of big plays in Tennessee too

bucnut

Hall of Famer
« #7 : January 02, 2007, 12:12:27 PM »

I agree that Fisher should get the credit for the titans resurgence, but I think Chow is the reason his QB is performing at the level his is.

BucfaninDC

Starter

« #8 : January 02, 2007, 12:20:13 PM »

BucFaninDC, that's pretty much what hackett does....people seem to think he's running this offense in a void, but hackett seems to be a regular sounding board and a huge influence with the QBs (supposedly gruden's exclusive domain). he also appointed Valero, his RB coach to assistant HC to fill Marinelli's void, so obviously he leans on his offensive staff alot.

i think it's a misconception, just like "gruden only likes over-the-hill guys" that will maybe be dispeled over time.

as for chow, it'd be very impressive to go from college coordinator to NFL HC in 2 years' time. i wonder if jeff fisher, who is one of my favorite coaches, isn't getting enough credit for this team's revival. the defense & ST have been full of big plays in Tennessee too

If that's true then he needs to get better assistants.  Because the lack of production and lack of successful gametime adjustments is evident.  Everyone keeps stating he doesn't have personnel on offense, but I really don't think the players they have are as bad as they showed this year.  They may not be a top 10 offense with the current roster, but they also should not have been second to last either.

Hackett was moved to the sideline to focus on the QB solely, and rightfully so as he is the QB coach.  Most of his offensive staff is not focusing on the o as a whole during the game, they are each focusing on their areas, as well they should be.  I'm saying he needs someone to help him with gametime play calling and adjustments.  It worked wonders for Reid in Philly.  I'm not saying Gruden should give it up completely like Reid did, but should have someone in the booth focusing on the offensive/defensive matchups as a whole.   

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #9 : January 02, 2007, 12:27:25 PM »

don't wanna derail the norm chow thread with too much talk about our views on our own offensive staff, but in my mind the lack of production and succesful adjustments has everything to do with the play at the QB position, not the quality of our offensive coaches (except Muir).  we've seen great plays called (even when there's a disproportionate number of pass plays) where the protection has held up, skill players have been in perfect position to make plays, and the ball just doesn't go to the right guy or right place.  even in what's supposed to be a run-driven offense, this is one of the most QB-centric offenses in the league in terms of responsibility in the passing game, handling complex decisions and audibling at the line, and everybody looks bad when the QB does. 

we've gotten away with inferior talent at every other offensive position - OL, RB, WR, TE - for some period of time in the gruden era, but never at the QB position.

« #10 : January 02, 2007, 12:33:15 PM »

If the Falcan'ts get a new offesnive system it'll be another excuse for 2 or 3 years of futility.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
« #11 : January 02, 2007, 12:35:32 PM »

BucFaninDC, that's pretty much what hackett does....people seem to think he's running this offense in a void, but hackett seems to be a regular sounding board and a huge influence with the QBs (supposedly gruden's exclusive domain). he also appointed Valero, his RB coach to assistant HC to fill Marinelli's void, so obviously he leans on his offensive staff alot.

i think it's a misconception, just like "gruden only likes over-the-hill guys" that will maybe be dispeled over time.

as for chow, it'd be very impressive to go from college coordinator to NFL HC in 2 years' time. i wonder if jeff fisher, who is one of my favorite coaches, isn't getting enough credit for this team's revival. the defense & ST have been full of big plays in Tennessee too
Hackett was moved to the sideline to focus on the QB solely, and rightfully so as he is the QB coach.  Most of his offensive staff is not focusing on the o as a whole during the game, they are each focusing on their areas, as well they should be.  I'm saying he needs someone to help him with gametime play calling and adjustments.  It worked wonders for Reid in Philly.  I'm not saying Gruden should give it up completely like Reid did, but should have someone in the booth focusing on the offensive/defensive matchups as a whole.   
Marty calls the plays from the sideline in Philly. I really think that some of the offensive assitants will be changing this offseason.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #12 : January 02, 2007, 12:41:41 PM »

Yeah BucINT20, I'd agree - I think it's hard to really evaluate things like adjustments when the QB play is so poor. I only get to go to a game a season now that I'm out of town, but I was stunned when I was at RJS for the Saints game - on a lot of plays guys running open everywhere, but with the exception of 2 great throws by Grads, nothing out of the QB. If I had watched that game on tv, I'd have said the offense didn't make any adjustments, but I could see with my eyes that Grads was going straight from option one to dumpoff with no recognition of other players.

It says a lot about our QBs that Gruden has managed to squeeze offensive success with Donald Hollas and Bobby Hoying but couldn't get anything out of this season's trio.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #13 : January 02, 2007, 12:42:51 PM »

Mark Maske, who covers the NFL for the Washington Post says Marty Morninwhig is an option for Atlanta and AZ.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
« #14 : January 02, 2007, 12:54:11 PM »

Mark Maske, who covers the NFL for the Washington Post says Marty Morninwhig is an option for Atlanta and AZ.
I really think AZ will go with Chow. I know Morninwhig has done some good things since he has been in Philly...but I believe I'd like to to see a full season of it before I gave him another headcoaching job if I were an owner.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: AZ talking to Norm Chow « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools