Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Comments from Kiper on Raiders and Browns... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

: January 02, 2007, 12:15:05 PM

Thought this was interesting. I def think that the Browns go Peterson, no question IMHO he fits their mold and Droughns, well, he is Droughns, plods along, nothing special, no threat...

If the Raiders decide to go after a quarterback via free agency instead of drafting one, where would they go with the No. 1 overall pick? -- John, Cameron Park, Calif.

Kiper: I would say the Raiders would have to figure out the wide receiver position. They have receivers who don't run very good routes and they drop a lot of balls. You'd have to look at Calvin Johnson of Georgia Tech (if he comes out) because he's a hard worker and team oriented. They could also go with Wisconsin left tackle Joe Thomas, another high-character athlete. No matter who it picks, Oakland has to address its issues on offense. Rob Ryan is one of best defensive coordinators in the NFL and he has developing stars on that side of the ball. The route they should go is quarterback, something I said they should have done last year.

The Raiders are in need of a franchise quarterback. They had the chance to take a QB in the first round of the 2006 NFL draft (Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler) and passed. Now that the Raiders have locked up the No. 1 pick in the '07 draft, Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn should be a lock to land in Oakland. Their offense is one of the worst I have ever seen and they cannot afford to pass on Quinn. There's also LSU junior QB JaMarcus Russell. He has not declared for the draft, but if he does, we could have a scenario similar to 1998 when the Colts had the No. 1 pick and had to decide between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf.

The Browns will have either the third or fourth pick in the draft. Who would be the best selection? -- Andrew, Bellbrook, Ohio

Kiper: Their needs are at offensive line, running back, defensive line and cornerback. They need players who can move defenders off the line of scrimmage and pass protect. They also don't have a big-time running back, so they could go with Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson if he comes out; left tackle Joe Thomas; defensive linemen Alan Branch or Glen Dorsey if either one of them declares; or Michigan CB Leon Hall.

Baghead #2

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 02, 2007, 12:18:02 PM

Kiper's the biggest clown on TV next to Stuart Scott. He's NEVER right, ever.

#2 : January 02, 2007, 12:19:01 PM

I remember he's had Winston Justice and Aaron Rodgers for us the last two years.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 02, 2007, 12:36:38 PM

KOB, I normally agree with you on most subjects.   But I think Kiper is the best of all the prognosticators out there.   He ranks those players quite well.    It's not an easy thing to do, but I think he does it about as good as it can be done.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 02, 2007, 12:40:43 PM

Its is undoubtidly a tough task. Kiper did say that he didnt like Ryan Leaf and thought Manning was the choice. Its just information, that is all. He can rank them and he basis a lot of picks soley on the need of the team, which as we know sometimes isn't the pick made by teams.

Baghead #2

zed

Pro Bowler

#5 : January 02, 2007, 12:46:52 PM

No way it seems that Oakland will try to go the FA route again this offseason to try to find a quarterback.  They should just get their franchise QB and let him grow.  They'll take Brady Quinn for sure, unless they take Calvin Johnson and a QB in the second round.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 02, 2007, 12:49:21 PM

I agree. There are too many young QB's that have come in and done well from Phillip Rivers and Ben Rothelisberger to Vince Young, Jay Cutler and Matt Leinart. For them to pass yet again on another supposedly franchise QB would be a mistake once you factor in their ineptitude on offense and the quartback play in particular. Just think they could have had Leinart or Cutler last year and been primed for Calvin Johnson this year, bad mistake.

Baghead #2

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 02, 2007, 01:04:23 PM

If the Raiders took Russell first overall they are out of their minds. I don't see why so many people are enamoured with Russell...his numbers at LSU aren't that great.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 02, 2007, 01:06:05 PM

I haven't seen much from LSU in general but I'm not a big JR fan either. I'm looking fwd to seeing them play tomorrow night.

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 02, 2007, 01:32:05 PM

There's really nothing shocking, Quinn, Thomas, Calvin and Peterson. That's a pretty good guess of the folks to be taken at the top of the drat, yeppers.

Kiper looks like a clown but he's no better nor any worse than most of those guys and that includes the 32 NFL GM's.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#10 : January 02, 2007, 01:39:00 PM

I'm starting to warm to CJ a bit more and you wouldn't hear a complaint out of me if we drafted him. But all of us know that any benefit he would bring over another player would pale in comparison to hearing the following statement:

"With the second overall selection in the 2007 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select... Calvin Johnson, wide receiver, Georgia Tech."

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 02, 2007, 01:41:17 PM

I'm starting to warm to CJ a bit more and you wouldn't hear a complaint out of me if we drafted him. But all of us know that any benefit he would bring over another player would pale in comparison to hearing the following statement:

"With the second overall selection in the 2007 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select... Calvin Johnson, wide receiver, Georgia Tech."

Followed closely by this

"Detroit is in flames"

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 02, 2007, 01:44:15 PM

If we pick CJ I sincerely hope we get good trade value for Clayton and/or Galloway

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 02, 2007, 01:44:27 PM

KOB, I normally agree with you on most subjects. But I think Kiper is the best of all the prognosticators out there. He ranks those players quite well. It's not an easy thing to do, but I think he does it about as good as it can be done.

It has to be the hair then. I just can't stand to listen to someone who's never been a scout or sniffed consulting in 1 draft for an NFL team.

Chris Landry is the man. He's been there and done that which gives his opinion much more weight. IMO.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 02, 2007, 02:13:34 PM

KOB, I normally agree with you on most subjects. But I think Kiper is the best of all the prognosticators out there. He ranks those players quite well. It's not an easy thing to do, but I think he does it about as good as it can be done.

It has to be the hair then. I just can't stand to listen to someone who's never been a scout or sniffed consulting in 1 draft for an NFL team.

Chris Landry is the man. He's been there and done that which gives his opinion much more weight. IMO.

From my understanding, he's actually turned down several scouting jobs from NFL teams. 
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Comments from Kiper on Raiders and Browns... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools