Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Now I really feel bad for Simms « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#30 : October 12, 2006, 09:09:20 AM

The deal wasn't for $10 million, he is saying that was the guaranteed money.  It was probably a $25 million 5 year deal, which is still on the low side compared to recent deals.
But it still was a multi year deal for a lot more money than you ever thought they would offer him. It's OK to admit when you wrong, no one will like you any less for it. Actually people might like you more if you admit when you're wrong. But you're all good in my book. ;D ;D

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 12, 2006, 09:13:52 AM

But it still was a multi year deal for a lot more money than you ever thought they would offer him. It's OK to admit when you wrong, no one will like you any less for it. Actually people might like you more if you admit when you're wrong. But you're all good in my book. ;D ;D

I said Bruce would try and sign him for a deal that didn’t impact the cap much more than the tender, which is exactly what it appears he tried to do.  I also said Simms would turn it down because he was looking for a similar size deal to Alex Smith, which it appears he was/is.  Then I said they would tender him, which they did.

Please highlight which bit I was wrong about. ?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 12, 2006, 09:17:11 AM

I said Bruce would try and sign him for a deal that didn’t impact the cap much more than the tender, which is exactly what it appears he tried to do.  I also said Simms would turn it down because he was looking for a similar size deal to Alex Smith, which it appears he was/is.  Then I said they would tender him, which they did.

Please highlight which bit I was wrong about. ?

I highly doubt Simms and his agent were looking for an Alex Smith type of deal.  Based on his play he was going to be payed as a top ten/ top fifteen QB money.  Alex Smith received top five QB money.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 12, 2006, 09:18:06 AM

I highly doubt Simms and his agent were looking for an Alex Smith type of deal.  Based on his play he was going to be payed as a top ten/ top fifteen QB money.  Alex Smith received top five QB money.

he has the same agent has Pennington and that is the sort of money they were probably looking for.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#34 : October 12, 2006, 09:19:34 AM

Actually a few posters, me included, said Simms would not accept the sort of offer he rejected.   It sounds like they offered him a deal that had practically the same impact on this years cap as the tender.  That deal wasn’t a Big contract for a QB.  It sounds similar to what a 5th or 6th draft pick would get.

Its all moot now, get over it, the blue eyed boy is down the road.  

That's exactly what I was thinking. In terms of NFL contracts for starting QBs, 10 million is not a "big deal". For BIG Qb deals referrence Peyton Manning and Michael Vick, those contract have huge amounts of guaranteed money. It's the type of contract that I thojght the Bucs would offer him, respectable for a young talent but not break the bank as he was still somewhat of a mystery.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 12, 2006, 09:21:39 AM

he has the same agent has Pennington and that is the sort of money they were probably looking for.

I do not thinks so. 

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 12, 2006, 09:30:36 AM

The article is fairly vague but lets say Bruce tabled something like this, which would have been affordable. 

Signing Bonus = $10 million

Year 1 = $700k – cap hit $2.7 million
Year 2 = $1.3 million
Year 3 = $3 million
Year 4 = $4 million
Year 5 = $6 million

Total = $25 million

It was a risk reward type deal for the Bucs, and it hardly represented a huge confidence level that he was/is the long-term answer to run Gruden’s O.  Even if he panned out he would still be a very poorly paid starting QB.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 12, 2006, 11:46:57 AM

I see chris in oahland...the last QB they got stinks.......brooks

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 12, 2006, 12:02:51 PM

I'll chime in and say mjs is correct. Bruce Allen is very good with contract structure. $10 million guaranteed is paltry money for a quality starting QB. There's no doubt in my mind that the deal was structured in such a way that the cap impact this year was not much more than the tender they had to offer in order to keep him as a RFA. A deal like that would have made Simms easy to trade and easy to move to backup if necessary.

Hell, Josh McCown is making $2 million in Detroit this year.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#39 : October 12, 2006, 12:17:29 PM

Well, too bad for Chris great for the Bucs.

I hope he likes dealing with Al Davis next year.

rzillger

Rookie

#40 : October 12, 2006, 12:29:15 PM

Probably better than dealing with Jon Gruden. I actually think he may end up in  Detroit.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : October 12, 2006, 01:17:48 PM

Twenty five for five years, ten guaranteed, I realize what Vick, Manning and others make - but that would have been a good deal for kid that hadn't proven he could lead a team over a full season.  He should of taken it, and recognized if all went well he would do well, and if it went poorly he could be traded to another team.  Silly choice. 

And I'll chime in and say mjs gave a good eval of the offer, but clearly the bucs were ready to commit to Simms this past offseason for reasonably good money.  In that respect mjs might have been wron..., inaccu.... incorre... er might not have been completely correct.  LOL

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 12, 2006, 01:34:00 PM

Twenty five for five years, ten guaranteed, I realize what Vick, Manning and others make - but that would have been a good deal for kid that hadn't proven he could lead a team over a full season.  He should of taken it, and recognized if all went well he would do well, and if it went poorly he could be traded to another team.  Silly choice. 

And I'll chime in and say mjs gave a good eval of the offer, but clearly the bucs were ready to commit to Simms this past offseason for reasonably good money.  In that respect mjs might have been wron..., inaccu.... incorre... er might not have been completely correct.  LOL

With hindsight it appears he was silly to turn it down, but the kid listened to advisers and he believes in his abilities so you can't knock him for his decision.   We will never know the exact terms and timing of the "offer", so it is all speculation now.  If is was similar to what I wrote earlier the "offer" is no real indication of anything.  It basically guaranteed the Bucs owned him for 5 years with a huge financial commitment.

It is the type of offer than many Simms fans were screaming for a few months ago because they were scared we wouldn't be able to afford Chris if he played well this year.  It is very obvious that Chev amongst others were quite correct when they said Simms wouldn't sign such a small contract. 

BTW - Jay Cutler received a $48 million contract with $11 million of guaranteed money straight out of college drafted at 11th this year.

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
#43 : October 12, 2006, 02:05:18 PM

Well, too bad for Chris great for the Bucs.

I hope he likes dealing with Al Davis next year.

Actually, Miami might be a better fit for Simms. The Dolphins QB situation is not good.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#44 : October 12, 2006, 02:25:48 PM

Too bad all the old posts are gone. You flat out said Bruce wouldn't offer him anymore than a 1 year deal. That the Buccs would wait to see what happened in '06 then offer accordingly. You can throw out all your hypothetical contract figures. They offered him a multi year deal, and you said there was no chance of that.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Now I really feel bad for Simms « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools