Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Now I really feel bad for Simms « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#45 : October 12, 2006, 02:32:37 PM

Too bad all the old posts are gone. You flat out said Bruce wouldn't offer him anymore than a 1 year deal. That the Buccs would wait to see what happened in '06 then offer accordingly. You can throw out all your hypothetical contract figures. They offered him a multi year deal, and you said there was no chance of that.

You memory is failing my friend.  I swear hand on heart over the life of my first born that I said Bruce would try and get him signed to a 2006 cap friendly deal in line with what the tender would cost.

I have said in recent weeks/months that it was reported that Bruce never offered him a deal, which now appears to be false information.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#46 : October 12, 2006, 03:19:44 PM

It may be worthy of debate over who said what, but it doesn't actually matter much in the real world. Either deal, the 5-year or the minimum tender, are both small QB dollars. Simms was right to turn down the 5-year deal because it was worth essentially little more than what he got for the one-year tender.

gone

Hall of Famer
#47 : October 12, 2006, 03:27:09 PM

Chris, you are a dumbass!!!!
But it still was a multi year deal for a lot more money than you ever thought they would offer him. It's OK to admit when you wrong, no one will like you any less for it. Actually people might like you more if you admit when you're wrong. But you're all good in my book. ;D ;D
I'll happily admit I never would have thought they offered him anything like this. Althought I don't think I went on the record, I thought at the time it was a wise decision by the office to ask him to prove himself because he was nothing but potential last year, some flashes. 

#48 : October 12, 2006, 04:11:40 PM

Chris, you are a dumbass!!!!

You can't fault a guy for betting on himself.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#49 : October 12, 2006, 04:15:00 PM

BTW – anyone wanting the best for this franchise should be willing Gradkowski to improve.  He only costs a few dollars on the cap next year and that frees a load of chain up to add a quality FA or two.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#50 : October 13, 2006, 09:06:08 AM

BTW – anyone wanting the best for this franchise should be willing Gradkowski to improve.  He only costs a few dollars on the cap next year and that frees a load of chain up to add a quality FA or two.
If Gradkowski proves to be what a lot of people hope, and what some seem to  expect...then I'm sure his agent will be ringing Bruce's telephone in the offseason. Gradkowski won't be playing for 6th round pick money if he averages 230 yards 1.5 Td's a game and steadies his rating around 90.0

BucsFan1976

Practice Squad
#51 : October 13, 2006, 09:14:03 AM

In most sports it would have been a good idea but this is the NFL where the risk of injury is probably greater.  10 mil is 10 mil, with endorsements on the side, he and his family would have been set for life. I feel bad for him but Im not sure why that wouldnt have been enough considering the risks of declining the offer and having a bad year or getting hurt which both ended up being the case.

#52 : October 13, 2006, 09:57:38 AM

If Gradkowski proves to be what a lot of people hope, and what some seem to  expect...then I'm sure his agent will be ringing Bruce's telephone in the offseason. Gradkowski won't be playing for 6th round pick money if he averages 230 yards 1.5 Td's a game and steadies his rating around 90.0

But still, he wouldn't warrant the bump that Chris was going to get, considering that Grads will have only started 13 games.

#53 : October 13, 2006, 09:58:40 AM

In most sports it would have been a good idea but this is the NFL where the risk of injury is probably greater.  10 mil is 10 mil, with endorsements on the side, he and his family would have been set for life. I feel bad for him but Im not sure why that wouldnt have been enough considering the risks of declining the offer and having a bad year or getting hurt which both ended up being the case.

Next year, he'll still be measuring his income in millions.  I'm not worried.  I'm trying to repay student loans.  :)

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#54 : October 13, 2006, 09:59:05 AM

Can rookies change their contrcat in the first two seasons?  I don't think they can.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#55 : October 13, 2006, 10:02:19 AM

Can rookies change their contrcat in the first two seasons?  I don't think they can.
Didn't Brady get a renegotiation halfway through his second season, first as the starter? Then he got a second renegotiaiton after he won the Superbowl?

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#56 : October 13, 2006, 10:00:34 AM

But still, he wouldn't warrant the bump that Chris was going to get, considering that Grads will have only started 13 games.
I realize that, but that was in response to the notion that he'll "only be a few dollars against the cap next year." If he performs, he gets a raise. How big no one knows, but it won't be for 6th round pick money.

BucsFan1976

Practice Squad
#57 : October 13, 2006, 10:06:01 AM

Next year, he'll still be measuring his income in millions.  I'm not worried.  I'm trying to repay student loans.  :)

I hope so for his case. Honestly dont know if he will be making the same money he would have had he inked the deal. He has alot of work to do.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#58 : October 13, 2006, 10:09:40 AM

Didn't Brady get a renegotiation halfway through his second season, first as the starter? Then he got a second renegotiaiton after he won the Superbowl?

I am sure I read somewhere they can't change the first two years of the rookie deal.  Maybe Brady reworked the 3rd year halfway through his 2nd season?

dukebuc

Practice Squad

#59 : October 13, 2006, 11:02:40 AM

No  big deal.  As posted earlier we should feel sorry for Chris for being "less of a millionaire"?  Please.  The kid will do great if he can stay on the field.  Someone will offer him a nice short-term deal and he'll have the opportunity to earn a really big payday.  No worries for him, frankly.  He'll be starting for Green Bay, Oakland, or Buffalo next year, IMHO.

Bucs will ultimately need to worry about their starting QB....despite all the current man-love for Bruce.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Now I really feel bad for Simms « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools