Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2008 Orlando Magic discussion thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 30

#15 : October 19, 2008, 01:33:09 PM

My thoughts...

Signing Mickael Pietrus was a very smart move. I have liked this guy a lot for the past 2 years. He has enough size to defend any SG in the league (somethign we desperately needed), and he is a great tahlete with some offensive potential.

I have a feeling Courtney Lee will be the first magic draft pick that has mattered since 2004. Another guard with size, and athleticism but more offensive IQ than Pietrus.

Tony Battie is back, and will make a bigger impact than any new player on the roster. We missed his interior presence badly last year. Battie is vastly underrated and in our lineup could start 82 games and give us solid production on both ends of the court in tandem with Howard

JJ Red**CENSORED** just might log some real NBA minutes this year. Losing 3-4 guards in the offseason has helped his cause

Dont know why we let Keyon Dooling and Maurice Evans go. I mean I never liked the Ariza for Cook/Evans trade in the first place, but why even pull the trigger if you dont plan to keep Evans? Cook couldnt get out of Phil Jacksons doghouse, and appears to be stuck in Stan Van Gundy's as well. LA couldnt have been happier to get Cook off the books, and now all we have left from that trade from nnot even a year ago is Brian Cook sitting at the end of the bench or not even dressing most of the time. Otis Smith had the best GM job in basketball when he took over in 2004 and sometimes I wonder how we arent better than we are right now. The guy took over a team with the #1 pick in teh draft, and 2 max contracts coming off the books. We drafted Howard and Nelson (cant blame him for Nelson, that was a good value pick that hasnt really worked out), and we had T Mac and Grant Hills max contracts come off the books the same offseason and didnt do much but sign Lewis. Lots of questionable draft picks, trades, roster decisions, and cap allocation.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 19, 2008, 05:09:51 PM

My thoughts...

Signing Mickael Pietrus was a very smart move. I have liked this guy a lot for the past 2 years. He has enough size to defend any SG in the league (somethign we desperately needed), and he is a great tahlete with some offensive potential.

I have a feeling Courtney Lee will be the first magic draft pick that has mattered since 2004. Another guard with size, and athleticism but more offensive IQ than Pietrus.

Tony Battie is back, and will make a bigger impact than any new player on the roster. We missed his interior presence badly last year. Battie is vastly underrated and in our lineup could start 82 games and give us solid production on both ends of the court in tandem with Howard

JJ Red**CENSORED** just might log some real NBA minutes this year. Losing 3-4 guards in the offseason has helped his cause

Dont know why we let Keyon Dooling and Maurice Evans go. I mean I never liked the Ariza for Cook/Evans trade in the first place, but why even pull the trigger if you dont plan to keep Evans? Cook couldnt get out of Phil Jacksons doghouse, and appears to be stuck in Stan Van Gundy's as well. LA couldnt have been happier to get Cook off the books, and now all we have left from that trade from nnot even a year ago is Brian Cook sitting at the end of the bench or not even dressing most of the time. Otis Smith had the best GM job in basketball when he took over in 2004 and sometimes I wonder how we arent better than we are right now. The guy took over a team with the #1 pick in teh draft, and 2 max contracts coming off the books. We drafted Howard and Nelson (cant blame him for Nelson, that was a good value pick that hasnt really worked out), and we had T Mac and Grant Hills max contracts come off the books the same offseason and didnt do much but sign Lewis. Lots of questionable draft picks, trades, roster decisions, and cap allocation.

I agree, its sad how little this team has done in upgrading its roster.  Even the max contract to Lewis is questionable.  It was a good thing Turk turned it on big time last year.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

#17 : October 20, 2008, 05:53:26 AM

If I was really into basketball, I'd prolly be a Magic fan, but I just root for Sheed. :D Good luck Magic fans.

-Chase

Our fans suck!

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 20, 2008, 09:41:16 AM

what's an NBA?

yeah, that is what I was wondering too...

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 20, 2008, 05:19:40 PM

If I was really into basketball, I'd prolly be a Magic fan, but I just root for Sheed. :D Good luck Magic fans.

Sheed is an idiot... and hates white people. I used to hang out with one of his assistants.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 20, 2008, 05:56:56 PM

I used to think Rasheed Wallace is everything wrong with the world...

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 20, 2008, 06:28:50 PM

I used to think Rasheed Wallace is everything wrong with the world...

dont get me wrong, he does to a lot for charities and most of it isnt covered by the media. But when Id hang out with his assistant it wasnt with Sheed around Ill tell you that.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 21, 2008, 07:33:46 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-OrlandoPreview0809

Dime's Magic preview for the upcoming season. I have to say, the division is yours to lose.

#23 : October 23, 2008, 03:34:28 AM

Out of 10 ESPN basketball experts every single one of them thinks the Magic will do worse this year. Amazing. The best big man in the game, and a solid collection of talenti around him and none of them think we can do better than 4th in the eeast?

I hate when people say that their team is always overlooked, but the Magic are always overlooked. We could have the best defense in the east and 3 guys who will average 20 ppg, along with MUCH needed playoff experience the last 2 years. It will be a fun year.

THANK GOD we solved our SG issues FINALLY. Pietrus will be exactly the type of roll player we have needed at the position

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

#24 : October 23, 2008, 07:52:55 AM

Sheed is an idiot... and hates white people. I used to hang out with one of his assistants.
I don't like watching him for his people skills. ;)

-Chase

Our fans suck!

MBF

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 28, 2008, 02:44:26 PM

Orlando Magic vs. Portland Trail Blazers
Greg Oden may possess the defensive chops to fill the role of Bill Russell, but Dwight Howard may lack the free-wheeling lifestyle to follow in the footsteps of Wilt Chamberlain.

NBA's best possible Finals Matchups

That would be fascinating series, the trash talking between OBF and Magic fans would be great too. :D

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 28, 2008, 02:59:35 PM

Orlando Magic vs. Portland Trail Blazers
Greg Oden may possess the defensive chops to fill the role of Bill Russell, but Dwight Howard may lack the free-wheeling lifestyle to follow in the footsteps of Wilt Chamberlain.

NBA's best possible Finals Matchups

That would be fascinating series, the trash talking between OBF and Magic fans would be great too. :D

Id love it, cause the Magic are one team I like. Blazers would win in 4 hahahaha. But it wont happen.

We'll see how good Portland is the first 20 games... brutal schedule basically all playoff teams on the road. Tonight it starts @ LA where I think this rivalry will be heated all over again Bynum vs Oden, Roy vs Kobe. Its gonna be fun.

I expect Portland to contend with Utah for the division championship, and be a 4-8 seed

MBF

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 28, 2008, 03:05:35 PM

The Oden-Bynum duel is the matchup I'm looking forward to seeing, that could be the rivalry of the West for the next few years.

#28 : October 28, 2008, 03:07:04 PM

I root for Portland, because I saw them in a similar situation as Orlando a few years ago, only I think Portland made more "right" decisions. Both franchises were in position to really rebuild the right way, and I think both have done that but Orlando has stumbled a lilttle more along the way. I really don't know about Otis SMith as GM, it feels like we are being run by Isiah Thomas at times and really there are a lot of similarities there.

#29 : October 28, 2008, 03:09:56 PM

hey MBF when is Atlanta going to rise up? Aside from the fact that they kept drafting guys who did the same things, they really have been putting together some nice young talent. Childress went overseas right? Thats kind of dissapointing. That was supposed to be a big draft for you guys, and you take Childress out of high school and 3-4 years later he just leaves on you. I really like how Atlanta is finally 'starting' to put together some depth. Mo Evans off the bench is a relaly nice addition to that athlete driven team
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 30
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2008 Orlando Magic discussion thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools