Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2008 Orlando Magic discussion thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 30

MBF

Hall of Famer

#30 : October 28, 2008, 03:18:33 PM

Ronde, don't worry about your GM. Otis Smith will never, ever make the blunders that Billy Knight made.

As far as this year is concerned, it'll be tougher to get into the playoffs. The starting 5 is good enough to compete with anyone, but the lack of depth is worrying. I'm not too torn up about Childress leaving, it came as a surprise but your favorite player Josh Smith is going to have even more responsibility. ;D If he can really come into his own, then the team won't have to rely so much on Joe Johnson. As you said, Mo Evans is a nice player to have on the bench but besides him I can't really see too many decent contributors. Flip Murray is an enigma, and Acie Law is still pretty raw. Mike Bibby's in a contract year though, so he might have a nice season. We're also banking on Marvin Williams improving on last season too, and the kid from South Florida (Solomon Jones) have shown flashes. Should be an entertaining season one way or another. I'm sure Orlando is going to win the division but Atlanta should push for 2nd place and the 8th seed in the East.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 28, 2008, 03:23:10 PM

I root for Portland, because I saw them in a similar situation as Orlando a few years ago, only I think Portland made more "right" decisions. Both franchises were in position to really rebuild the right way, and I think both have done that but Orlando has stumbled a lilttle more along the way. I really don't know about Otis SMith as GM, it feels like we are being run by Isiah Thomas at times and really there are a lot of similarities there.

Yeah I still laugh at the people who would take Durant over Oden. If Oden just scores 12 points 10 boards 3 blocks its a better pick. His presence in the middle makes a huge difference. You cant find franchise centers but you can find scoring SF every FA. Portland IMO has made pretty much right choices all the way through. Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khyrapa... easy. Brandon Roy for peanuts, Oden luck, Rudy Fernandez for CASH, not Nicolas Batum who we got this year will start at SF and we got him for Darrel Arthur basically. Bayless for Rush and Jack we will have to see, but Bayless looked good in Summer league.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 28, 2008, 03:26:41 PM

^You have to give credit to Portland for not falling in love with Thomas' athleticism and instead making the move that would benefit their franchise. Aldridge and Oden will give you a potentially great frontcourt.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 28, 2008, 03:33:11 PM

^You have to give credit to Portland for not falling in love with Thomas' athleticism and instead making the move that would benefit their franchise. Aldridge and Oden will give you a potentially great frontcourt.

I still think Aldridge will be better then Roy and Oden. But I also think Rudy could as well

#34 : October 28, 2008, 04:13:02 PM

I think Aldridge over Thomas was an easy pick actually. I thought Aldridge was the best player in the draft with the most reachable ceiling. Gay had the potential to be the best, and Roy was the best swingman in the draft, but I thought Aldridge was the best pick

You made a lot of good points about Durant v Oden OBF, another thing about Durant is his game has a lot of holes in it right now. he is only 19-20, but he turns the ball over a lot, shoots for very low %s, and I dont know what type of defensive player he will be. They should both be quality NBA players, but Oden is a nice fit in Portland

MBF

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 28, 2008, 04:46:07 PM

I think Aldridge over Thomas was an easy pick actually.
You never know, some guys (read: Billy Knight) see an athlete and grab him, rather than pick the better basketball player.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 28, 2008, 04:56:59 PM

I think Aldridge over Thomas was an easy pick actually. I thought Aldridge was the best player in the draft with the most reachable ceiling. Gay had the potential to be the best, and Roy was the best swingman in the draft, but I thought Aldridge was the best pick

You made a lot of good points about Durant v Oden OBF, another thing about Durant is his game has a lot of holes in it right now. he is only 19-20, but he turns the ball over a lot, shoots for very low %s, and I dont know what type of defensive player he will be. They should both be quality NBA players, but Oden is a nice fit in Portland

yeah its harder to stop a demoninant center then a SF. Oden will make guys think twice about going inside

MBF

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 29, 2008, 09:47:31 PM

Get ready to start the season 0-1. Hawks own the Magic.
Yep, good game though.

Dwight's a beast btw.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#38 : November 03, 2008, 01:58:56 PM

bump over political thread -

still can't get excited about the season -

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#39 : November 03, 2008, 01:59:49 PM

nice bump, unfortunately it will probably be off the 1st page in a matter of hours. :(

MBF

Hall of Famer

#40 : November 03, 2008, 02:00:27 PM

Aren't you a Spurs fan Morgan?

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#41 : November 03, 2008, 02:07:01 PM

Yep - bad start. Ginobilli is hurt, but I think the Spurs have learned that you can be mediocre for most of the season then turn it on down the stretch (March/April/May) to make the playoffs. I'm not used to them losing off the bat like this. Not sure if its the changing of the guards - hopefully not. They play their arch rival Mavericks tomorrow - always a good game.  They could start off 0-3.

I haven't lived in SA for nearly 4 yrs now - I will move to the TB area next year and probably will adopt the Magic as well as the Rays.

Would like to see a few better players on the Magic -

MBF

Hall of Famer

#42 : November 03, 2008, 03:11:44 PM

Pietrus looks like a decent addition at the 2.

#43 : November 03, 2008, 04:51:51 PM

Dude there is talent all over this team. I admit they arent the most balanced team in the world, but they are very exciting and one of the most explosive offenses in the league.

You will enjoy watching the Magic when you get here Morgan. I think you will be surprised just how good a player like Hedo Turkoglu is.

We also have NCAA legend JJ Re**CENSORED** coming off the bench, thats always exciting. And Courtney Lee was our draft pick thsi year and he is going to be a good one too

btw, dont worry about the Spurs they will be fine. They will be there at the end of teh eyar competing fo rthe west

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#44 : November 03, 2008, 06:49:24 PM

Obviously I don't know enough about the Magic.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 30
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2008 Orlando Magic discussion thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools