Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Standings « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#135 : November 30, 2008, 06:00:46 PM

Updated Today:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas
4. Florida
5. USC
6. Utah
7. Texas Tech
8. Penn State
9. Boise State
10. Ohio State

Texas and Oklahoma switch, Oklahoma plays Missouri in the Big 12 Championship.  If Oklahoma wins, they play the SEC Champion.  If Missouri wins, Texas and USC will be fighting for the #2 spot.

Alabama and Florida are in a playoff for the National Championship game.  Their situation is easy.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#136 : November 30, 2008, 09:45:57 PM

Man I want to see Oregon in a BCS bowl (could happen I believe if USC goes to natl title game), but I already bought my holiday bowl tixs and hotel. My guess is Texas/Florida. This will be interesting... anyone think Boise State goes over TT, and TT is left out?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#137 : November 30, 2008, 09:49:50 PM

Man I want to see Oregon in a BCS bowl (could happen I believe if USC goes to natl title game), but I already bought my holiday bowl tixs and hotel. My guess is Texas/Florida. This will be interesting... anyone think Boise State goes over TT, and TT is left out?

How do you see Texas getting in?  You think Oklahoma is going to lose to Missouri?

Outside of that, only way Texas gets in is if somehow the BCS puts Texas in over Florida should Florida beat Alabama......

Texas tech is likely out, they won't get in over Oklahoma/Texas, and 3 can't make it from one conference.  What will be interesting is if Ohio State gets left out for Boise State.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#138 : November 30, 2008, 09:52:58 PM

Updated Today:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas
4. Florida
5. USC
6. Utah
7. Texas Tech
8. Penn State
9. Boise State
10. Ohio State

Texas and Oklahoma switch, Oklahoma plays Missouri in the Big 12 Championship.  If Oklahoma wins, they play the SEC Champion.  If Missouri wins, Texas and USC will be fighting for the #2 spot.

Alabama and Florida are in a playoff for the National Championship game.  Their situation is easy.

I hope you are right, and I wish I had your confidence.  This is the way it SHOULD be, but the standings today scare me a bit after UF drops to 4 in coaches poll and the way the computers have UF.  You'd think a win over Alabama would vault UF to #1 in both human polls, and computers would give them love but you never know....

I do think if UF wins SEC and gets left out for Texas, Slive should pull out of this BCS and demand a playoff. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#139 : November 30, 2008, 09:59:06 PM

I don't see how they wouldn't jump Texas (who isn't even playing) after beating the undefeated, number 1 team in the country.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#140 : November 30, 2008, 10:16:37 PM

People talking playoffs... it wont happen!

It wont... way too much money involved. Gotta remember football is about more then W and L money is huge. Bowls bring money. Dave Frohmeyer Oregon president whos on the BCS commitee said that it wont happen. Too many schools oppose it, because of the money they get.

bucinkorea

Pro Bowler
#141 : December 01, 2008, 08:25:52 AM

Not sure that the gators are going to make it even if they trounce the Tide. It's not so much the two human polls, but it doesn't appear that they can move any higher than fourth in the computer average - they aren't going to change their formulas. In fact several of the computer polls have Alabama in 4th with the gators 6th. Unless Mizzou beats OU, it looks like a Texas-OU repeat to me.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#142 : December 01, 2008, 08:45:04 AM

This should put to rest for good "the regular season is a playoff" crap argument...

The BCS has proved over and over that head-to-head meetings means nothing. 

How is OU ahead of Texas?    That's absolutely ridiculous.  Just when you though this system couldn't make itself look any worse, it goes ahead and does it.  Under this logic, UF could beat Alabama and still be ranked below them.

And why does the Big 12 leave their division championship up to the BCS standings?  Morons...

JC510

Practice Squad

#143 : December 01, 2008, 09:01:48 AM

And why does the Big 12 leave their division championship up to the BCS standings?  Morons...

Because it gives them the best chance to get a Big 12 team in the BCS game.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#144 : December 01, 2008, 09:15:20 AM

Guess that's true.  If the BCS doesn't determine the true champion, then you might as well not determine the true champion in conferences either...

JC510

Practice Squad

#145 : December 01, 2008, 09:23:04 AM

Guess that's true.  If the BCS doesn't determine the true champion, then you might as well not determine the true champion in conferences either...

Well in fairness to the Big 12 head to head is the first tie breaker but all 3 teams beat eachother.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#146 : December 01, 2008, 09:35:54 AM

Not sure that the gators are going to make it even if they trounce the Tide. It's not so much the two human polls, but it doesn't appear that they can move any higher than fourth in the computer average - they aren't going to change their formulas. In fact several of the computer polls have Alabama in 4th with the gators 6th. Unless Mizzou beats OU, it looks like a Texas-OU repeat to me.

There is no doubt that if the #4 team defeats the #1 team on a neutral field, then that #4 team would leapfrog an idle #3 team that would have one less win and the same amount of losses.

ranman

Pro Bowler
#147 : December 01, 2008, 10:07:07 AM

Careful Biggs, you are using logic to explain the bcs.  Remember this logic also enabled a team to lose in hth and still get to leapfrog over them to get into their Conf Championship game. 
I do expect that winner of Bama/ UF will go, but I also think there will be a loud roar this week coming out of Austin to the writers/ pollsters

Snook

Hall of Famer
#148 : December 01, 2008, 10:16:15 AM

Well in fairness to the Big 12 head to head is the first tie breaker but all 3 teams beat eachother.

In the SEC, a three way division tiebreaker is still determined by the BCS...

BUT...

The 3rd team is thrown out and the division champ is determined from the top 2 by using... (drum roll please)... HEAD-TO-HEAD.

Considering that Texas Tech is out of the national title race, it makes more sense to pick a division champ from either Texas or Oklahoma - not all three.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#149 : December 01, 2008, 11:09:39 AM

Careful Biggs, you are using logic to explain the bcs.  Remember this logic also enabled a team to lose in hth and still get to leapfrog over them to get into their Conf Championship game. 

But that's the same logic:

Oklahoma jumped over Texas this week because they beat a much better Oklahoma State team THIS WEEK.  Those computer numbers change every week based on the opponent played.

I do expect that winner of Bama/ UF will go, but I also think there will be a loud roar this week coming out of Austin to the writers/ pollsters

Texas is getting screwed, no doubt about it.  They are getting penalized for losing later in the season, but that is how it has always worked...even before the BCS.

Page: 1 ... 8 9 10 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Standings « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools