Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Standings « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#45 : October 21, 2008, 02:15:29 PM

Softball game? .... kickball game?  What the hell has this board become?

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#46 : October 21, 2008, 02:29:47 PM

Haha  - we have a blast, man.  Its basically a drunkfest and we play kickball in the middle.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

Snook

Hall of Famer
#47 : October 21, 2008, 02:55:00 PM

Its a way to still hold onto competitive sports at age 31, I guess.

We have a pretty good team and the games are a lot of fun.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#48 : October 21, 2008, 03:21:27 PM

The problem is that most of the AP voters are stubborn and won't change their minds - even in the face of reality - because doing so would prove they're wrong and hurt their ego.  Without polls from the entire season, they could've more accurately voted.

And there it is.

No matter if Auburn was a solid third at the beginning of the season, USC and Oklahoma never lost for the voters to make Auburn leapfrog one of them.  That has been my point the entire time.  No matter when the polls would have come out, Auburn still would have been ranked third.

You're aren't getting an argument from me that the process isn't flawed, because it is.  But to rant and rave over the BCS standings coming out in the middle of season, and chastise people for talking about them is a little asinine.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#49 : October 21, 2008, 05:08:10 PM

No matter if Auburn was a solid third at the beginning of the season, USC and Oklahoma never lost for the voters to make Auburn leapfrog one of them.  That has been my point the entire time.  No matter when the polls would have come out, Auburn still would have been ranked third.

You're aren't getting an argument from me that the process isn't flawed, because it is.  But to rant and rave over the BCS standings coming out in the middle of season, and chastise people for talking about them is a little asinine.

YOU just proved MY point -- without polls all season, there nothing to change.  Without pre-season polls, there's no such thing as "leapfrogging".  Do ONE poll at the end of the regular season.  That way, no voter has to change his vote.  If its his FIRST vote, there's nothing to change.  Judge the teams on their complete SEASON, not by how they did in comparison to a national pre-season poll, which is exactly what happens now.

So, in conclusion, its the mid season polls that are "asinine" -- not the "chastising".

Funny how you agree the system is flawed but defend it at the same time...

Just think how meaningless the numerous mid-season NFL "Power Rankings" are...  They're absolutely MEANINGLESS.  And somehow, without official "polls", the NFL still has "upsets".  Amazing, huh?

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#50 : October 21, 2008, 05:16:08 PM

...And somehow, without official "polls", the NFL still has "upsets". Amazing, huh?

Not when you consider pointspreads..   :)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#51 : October 21, 2008, 05:24:49 PM

YOU just proved MY point -- without polls all season, there nothing to change.  Without pre-season polls, there's no such thing as "leapfrogging".  Do ONE poll at the end of the regular season.  That way, no voter has to change his vote.  If its his FIRST vote, there's nothing to change.  Judge the teams on their complete SEASON, not by how they did in comparison to a national pre-season poll, which is exactly what happens now.

I think you've been drinking again.

So, in conclusion, its the mid season polls that are "asinine" -- not the "chastising".

No, the chastising for talking about college football and how the teams are measured is pretty asinine.

Funny how you agree the system is flawed but defend it at the same time...

So, because the system is flawed, no one should discuss that flawed system...gotcha.

Just think how meaningless the numerous mid-season NFL "Power Rankings" are...  They're absolutely MEANINGLESS.  And somehow, without official "polls", the NFL still has "upsets".  Amazing, huh?

Are you comparing the NCAA with over 100 teams the NFL again?

In the NCAA, playoffs or no playoffs, the polls will always matter.

Since you are so tired of the meaningless polls and the discussion involving them, you should probably not open the thread entitled "BCS Standings."

Snook

Hall of Famer
#52 : October 21, 2008, 07:10:43 PM

No, the chastising for talking about college football and how the teams are measured is pretty asinine.

How is it "asinine" for chastising it if you ALSO agree the system is flawed?  If something is flawed, why SHOULDN'T talk about it?

In fact, its not chastised enough.  That's why we're still stuck with this moronic system.

So, because the system is flawed, no one should discuss that flawed system...gotcha.

Umm... isn't that what you just told me above?

Are you comparing the NCAA with over 100 teams the NFL again?

In the NCAA, playoffs or no playoffs, the polls will always matter.

Since you are so tired of the meaningless polls and the discussion involving them, you should probably not open the thread entitled "BCS Standings."

Crazy how the rest of the college football divisions do it... do the polls really matter there?  Nope.  Not at all.  They're for fan discussion -- that's it.  Just like NFL Power Rankings.  Completely meaningless.

And I had no idea I couldn't express my opinion anywhere I wanted...   Didn't see that in the forum rules.  Link, please?

Remember, you started this by saying its a "necessity" to follow the BCS.   Not really... unless you're #1 or #2, what's the difference?  And as you said earlier, unless the teams at #1 and #2 lose, they don't drop, right?  So you don't really need to follow the BCS.  Just check and see if Texas or Alabama loses.  What's the use of knowing who the #11 team is?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#53 : October 22, 2008, 09:42:29 AM

Polls matter.  They factor into the BCS.  The BCS is the system that is in place right now.  That is why people still "follow this crap."  If you don't want to "follow this crap," don't open the thread.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#54 : October 22, 2008, 10:02:07 AM

Polls matter.  They factor into the BCS.  The BCS is the system that is in place right now.  That is why people still "follow this crap."  If you don't want to "follow this crap," don't open the thread.

I'll post wherever I want to and insert my opinion wherever I want to.

Sorry I hurt your feelings about the BCS -- I'm sure you feel the same way deep down but just can't admit it.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#55 : October 22, 2008, 10:15:28 AM

Easy fellas.  I love college football, just hate the system to determine the championship.  A playoff system will happen down the road at some point, and there will still be speculation.  At least then the speculation will be who is #15 or #16, versus #1.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#56 : October 22, 2008, 10:36:07 AM

I'll post wherever I want to and insert my opinion wherever I want to.

lol...ok, tough guy.

Sorry I hurt your feelings about the BCS -- I'm sure you feel the same way deep down but just can't admit it.

What the hell are you talking about?

You chimed in with "people still follow this crap" when the BCS Standings were being discussed, which, in case you don't know is how the National Champion is decided.  "This crap" is worth discussing.  If you don't think so, don't open the thread.  It's pretty simple.

Or, you can keep being a whiny baby with the "I'll post what I want when I want" nonsense.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#57 : October 22, 2008, 10:53:37 AM

But you're the guy who thinks he can tell people what to do on a message board...  Good one, Biggs.  Who's the tough guy, again?

I didn't see a warning in your original post that BCS haters can't post.  Maybe you should be more clear next time. 

And as always, you never get it.  You can follow the BCS all you want.  I'm just saying there's no point in it right now.

You're right (for once).  I did say "people still follow this crap?"  And you stated its a "necessity" to follow it.  Not really. 

Without looking at the BCS, I can tell you who the top 3 teams are -- THE UNDEFEATED ONES.  And until they lose, that won't change.  So what do I need the BCS in October for?  I need biased sportswriters, coaches who can't watch the games and a computer to tell me who's #9?  So I know who the meaningless #13 team is?  Talk about worthless...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#58 : October 22, 2008, 11:23:15 AM

You've sold me.  BCS is pointless.  They are just like Power Rankings in the NFL.  How many teams have played in the championship game because of the Power Rankings in the NFL?  How many teams have played in the championship game because of the BCS rankings in College Football?

Nobody is arguing the flaw in the system, but it is the present system, so it's worth discussion.  If you don't want to because they are "worthless," then don't.  Simple and grown-up solution.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#59 : October 22, 2008, 11:54:39 AM

You've sold me.  BCS is pointless.  They are just like Power Rankings in the NFL.  How many teams have played in the championship game because of the Power Rankings in the NFL?  How many teams have played in the championship game because of the BCS rankings in College Football?

Nobody is arguing the flaw in the system, but it is the present system, so it's worth discussion.  If you don't want to because they are "worthless," then don't.  Simple and grown-up solution.

YET again, you miss the point. 

I never said the "BCS is pointless."  Just following the rankings in October is pointless.  Geez...

I understand that the BCS standings are used to select the two championship teams.  But they use the LAST one to do that -- not the ones from October or November.  The next rankings that come out render the previous one meaningless.  And that continues until we get the one that actually MATTERS -- the LAST one.

How many teams have played in the "title" game based on BCS rankings from October?

And let's keep in mind, Biggs, that when I stated "people still follow this crap?", you didn't HAVE to respond.  I was actually just merely making a joke with my original post.  I'm truly sorry it bothered you so much.

You could've ignored me -- but you didn't -- you engaged ME.  Don't act like I dragged you into this conversation and then try to act like the "grown-up".

As for the current system being worth discussion -- not really -- only discussion that surrounds it is how flawed it is.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Standings « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools