Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Standings « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11

Snook

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 20, 2008, 03:10:44 PM

whatever.  the BCS sucks.  Here is to hoping UF wins out and beats whatever scrub team they put in the big game.

Texas will get beat.

I'd like to see Texas in the title game -- against whoever comes out of the SEC.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 20, 2008, 03:43:08 PM

Why not?  At least they wouldn't be altered by the meaningless rankings from August, September and October...

What would be the problem with the first polls/standings coming out in mid-November?

What's the problem with the BCS coming out in mid-October, halfway through the season.  The Pre-Season polls are ridiculous, but the BCS halfway through the year is fine.

What would be the problem with ranking all of the teams when all the regular season games are over?

No upsets, No 1 vs. 2 or 3 or 4 match-ups, etc..

Oh, that's right - it might actually be somewhat accurate.

They are fairly accurate to the date.  They will change next week, the week after that, and the week after that....that's how it works and has always worked.

Exactly.  Thanks for pointing out YET another flaw in the BCS system -- penalizing teams because of where they ranked in August.

So your argument against my argument that the rankings now do matter in the end is that they do matter?

This is the reason Auburn got screwed out of playing USC (instead of OU) in 2004.  Keep in mind, Auburn went UNDEFEATED... in the SEC.  Who's done that recently?   And they don't get to play for the title because USC and OU didn't move from #1/#2 all year?

Do you think that would have changed if there were no rankings throughout the year?  Obviously if the USC and OU were 1 and 2 in the voters minds in the beginning of the year, nothing happened during the year to change that stance.

Don't get me wrong, Auburn got royally screwed, but the rankings coming out if the beginning, middle, or end of the year had nothing to do with it.

Great system!!

I'm not a fan of the non-playoff system, but the rankings would be involved either way.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#17 : October 20, 2008, 03:58:02 PM

So you couldn't have upsets without rankings?  Interesting.  I wonder how every other sport does it...  oh yeah... by RECORDS.  Amazing.

Its a good think they have rankings in college football because without them, we wouldn't know when upsets happen...   ::)

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 20, 2008, 03:56:18 PM

IMO (which I know is always welcome) Auburn came off better by NOT playing in that game.  NO college team could have touched USC that year.  

I know I know, thats why they play the game...we'll never know...etc...but seriously.  Those guys were flippin' good.  

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

Snook

Hall of Famer
#19 : October 20, 2008, 03:55:04 PM

Don't get me wrong, Auburn got royally screwed, but the rankings coming out if the beginning, middle, or end of the year had nothing to do with it.

Rankings had nothing to do with it?  Good one.

Then what exactly was the reason they got screwed?

Snook

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 20, 2008, 03:59:12 PM

IMO (which I know is always welcome) Auburn came off better by NOT playing in that game.  NO college team could have touched USC that year.  

I know I know, thats why they play the game...we'll never know...etc...but seriously.  Those guys were flippin' good.  

And college football is the only sport that prevents us from finding out.  That speaks volumes...

Undefeated in the SEC.  No title game.  Really!?!?!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#21 : October 20, 2008, 04:10:30 PM

Rankings had nothing to do with it?  Good one.

Then what exactly was the reason they got screwed?

You think that if the rankings had come out first and foremost in December that Auburn would have magically moved up in the voter's minds?  Come on....

So you couldn't have upsets without rankings?� Interesting.� I wonder how every other sport does it...� oh yeah... by RECORDS.� Amazing.

Its a good think they have rankings in college football because without them, we wouldn't know when upsets happen...�  ::)

You aren't seriously comparing college sports and pro sports are you?

Texas and Oklahoma were both undefeated....was that an upset when Oklahoma lost?  USC and Ohio State were undefeated, was that an upset when Ohio State lost?

What exactly is your argument here?  You don't think any rankings should come out between hundreds of teams until after all of the games have been played?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#22 : October 20, 2008, 04:26:11 PM

Biggs,
you can't seriously believe that Auburn didn't deserve a shot in the title game that year, can you?  They went UNDEFEATED in the SEC bro. 

This is why the system is flawed.  Without a playoff, there is no TRUE national champ.  Of course, university presidents and the media shun at the thought of a real playoff system.  If basketball can have a playoff, then there is no reason under the sun that football can't.  I get tired of the excuse the players would miss class time.  Are you kidding me??!!  Basketball players play a lot longer schedule and playoff format than football. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 20, 2008, 04:42:51 PM

Biggs,
you can't seriously believe that Auburn didn't deserve a shot in the title game that year, can you?  They went UNDEFEATED in the SEC bro.

No.  As a matter of fact, I said the exact opposite.

I said that Auburn being ranked third wouldn't have changed if the rankings would have come out later in the season.  The people who thought that USC and OU were 1 and 2 at the beginning of the season would have still thought they were 1 and 2 at the end of the season.  Nothing happened during the season for them to change their minds.

This is why the system is flawed.  Without a playoff, there is no TRUE national champ.  Of course, university presidents and the media shun at the thought of a real playoff system.  If basketball can have a playoff, then there is no reason under the sun that football can't.  I get tired of the excuse the players would miss class time.  Are you kidding me??!!  Basketball players play a lot longer schedule and playoff format than football. 

I agree that the system is flawed.

But, there is no problem with the timing of the rankings being released, and that is what Snook is arguing for some reason.  The rankings would still have to exist with a playoff system, just like in college basketball.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 20, 2008, 04:59:52 PM

I agree with the ranking existing.  There is no reason that a playoff format can't be done. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 20, 2008, 05:17:20 PM

How does Georgia get ranked behind USC, when USC loses to an unranked and losing record team?? 

This is why college football sucks come January.

OSU doesnt have a losing record. And they may be in the rose bowl. All winnable games left for them.

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

#26 : October 20, 2008, 08:19:31 PM

I dont think anyone is saying the BCS isn't flawed, but it's what we have to work with.

-Chase

Our fans suck!

Snook

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 20, 2008, 09:39:28 PM

You think that if the rankings had come out first and foremost in December that Auburn would have magically moved up in the voter's minds?� Come on....

Without silly national polls, how exactly would the voters even know how other voters felt about Auburn?

You're telling me that Auburn would've still been #3 if the first poll came out after winning the SECCG to finish 12-0? 

Give me a break...

Snook

Hall of Famer
#28 : October 20, 2008, 09:45:33 PM

I said that Auburn being ranked third wouldn't have changed if the rankings would have come out later in the season.  The people who thought that USC and OU were 1 and 2 at the beginning of the season would have still thought they were 1 and 2 at the end of the season.  Nothing happened during the season for them to change their minds.

Nothing happened?!?!?!  Auburn went UNDEFEATED... IN THE SEC.  THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED.  Who saw that coming?    How many teams have gone undefeated in the SEC the last 20 years?  If that doesn't change voters minds, then we need new voters.  Geez...

If voters had known Auburn would go UNDEFEATED, I'm sure they would've had Auburn at #2 instead of OU playing in the weak Big 12.  Cmon, Biggs.  Its like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. 

But, there is no problem with the timing of the rankings being released, and that is what Snook is arguing for some reason.  The rankings would still have to exist with a playoff system, just like in college basketball.

Basketball rankings are even more meaningless.

The tournament is decided by conference winners, conference tournament winners, and at large teams determined by strength of schedule and overall records.

Polls don't weigh too heavy with the selection committee...  Bubble teams aren't in or out just because they're ranked or not.

bucngators15

Starter
#29 : October 20, 2008, 10:08:11 PM

BCS IS LAME AND SUCKS

Whoever Said, " Its not whether you LOSE or WIN that counts.... PROBALY LOST
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Standings « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools