Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bama lands Saban!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

Runole

Hall of Famer
#30 : May 28, 2007, 09:46:50 PM

First of all I have always thought College football was about seeking competition.  Who cares what the makeup of fans are at a particular game? Bottom line a UF vs UM or UM vs FSU or UF vs FSU are going to be watched by the entire nation.  Do you as a gator fan really care if Western Carolina brings 250 to 500 fans to Ben Hill Griffin?  What kind of conflicted logic worries about how much UM makes from a UF vs Miami game??

What possible satisfaction can be obtained from a 62- 0 drubbing in place of a far more desirable matchup against UM?  I dislike Miami as much as most but they are still recognized and continue to be recognized as one of CFB's more storied programs.  UF avoiding them annually is a total travesty.

Sorry but the $$ excuse is never going to cut it.    UF is by far one of the wealthiest programs in the nation. They won't lose money by playing Miami away every other year!!

A Nationally broadcast game with Miami every year home and away most surely is worth more than the non- televised game against yet another "little sisters of the poor".  Remember there is now a 4th out of conference game each year available. UF is one of the wealthiest programs in the Nation and they can't afford to play Miami???   Bull Crap!

UF before the 4th game was added was playing what amounts  to 6 1/2 home  games  every season with the GA vs UF game being a split gate.  Now they need 7 and 1/2 home games every season??   Pulease!!!   Peddle that nonsense somewhere else..   I notice that both Miami and FSU are playing out of conference games outside the state of Florida against Colorado and Oklahoma. How come UF can't??    Sorry John, that dog won't hunt.  UF avoids Miami annually and refuses to play any Out of Conference game outside the state of Florida for ONE REASON!!  THEY ARE AFRAID OF A LOSS

UF needs to stop ducking top competition Out of Conference.  If UM and FSU can play other BCS teams why can't UF?
 Even other SEC teams will play Out of conference games outside their home state.  Why can't UF?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#31 : May 28, 2007, 10:16:09 PM

UF doesnt NEED to play any more OOC games.  year in and year out the SEC is loaded.  ducking competition?  ha. 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

bbs

Rookie

#32 : May 29, 2007, 06:36:59 AM

Florida afraid of losing to Thug U? That is stupid! UF doesn't play any more ooc or out of state because it doesn't have to! Period! Give it up, Runole.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 29, 2007, 11:24:03 AM

Hmmm? Funny all other SEC teams seem to be able to play other BCS schools outside their states.  I never hear SEC schools make such cowardly excuses for not playing decent Out of Conference games outside their states..  Must be that  gator "yeller belly" thing!!

Oh and Free Bird even in the limited engagements with Miami when was the last time UF actually beat Miami?  Wasn't Ronald Reagan president?

You are correct!! UF can play any "lil sister of the Poor" it wants to at Benny Hill in place of Miami, and a Nation of College Football fans most  certainly  can ridicule them for it!! Deal with it!

At least the state of Florida has 4 teams not afraid of competition...  Ie  FSU,  UCF, USF, AND MIAMI!! Shame on the gators!!

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#34 : May 29, 2007, 02:04:16 PM

what other SEC schools consistently play 2 top10 out of conference teams?  (and yes, im including fsu in that category).

and if you want to ridicule the National Champions for not playing a 7-6 team, you might want to re-evaluate things.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#35 : May 29, 2007, 02:51:03 PM

LOL @ Runole. Same crap again and again.

UF plays the toughest schedule of ANY SEC team on a consistent basis.  UF plays FSU who is one of the top programs of the last 20 years EVERY year.  No other SEC team can boast that.  SO forgive me Mr. Runole while I LAUGH at your notion that "other SEC teams do it."  UF's schedule most always stacks up near the top in terms of competition.  That is a fact that cannot be disputed.  Where they get their competition is irrelevant.  UF annually plays Georgia, UT, LSU, and FSU, each of who are almost always ranked and ranked high in recent years.  I challenge you to find many teams who play those caliber of teams on an annual basis. Factor in Bama and Auburn each twice every 5 years, plus a renewed game with Miami 4 times now in 7 years, and I'd say Florida plays good competition.  Anyone who argues different is just an idiot or jealous.  Seeing that your ridicule is coming from garnett and gold glasses, I'd be inclined to say it's......nevermind.

You can ridicule all you want but fact is UF isn't  playing a WVU like schedule every year.  They play top teams.  Maybe not as many as you like, but they do.  It's not like even FSU plays these top OC games every year.  Yes, this year they have Colorado (what, 2-9?) and Alabama, but who did they play last year?  UF is adding teams in coming years, playing Miami again and giving up and coming USF a game (did FSU do that?)  Just because FSU had a free pass in conference all those years and had to add teams OC to make a tough schedule, doesn't mean UF does too.  We get our tough competition in the SEC and with FSU.  That's as much or more than 95% of the teams every year.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#36 : May 29, 2007, 03:51:10 PM

Ok Ray show us UF's TOUGH schedule for next season?? ROFLMAO!!   And Why does UF refuse to play any BCS teams out of conference out of state during the regular season??

Please post the so tough schedule UF plays???   

Miami was UF's third oldest rival and a very strong program why drop them from the annual play list?

One reason!! CHICKEN!! BAWK BAWK BAWK!!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#37 : May 29, 2007, 04:49:49 PM

No one truly knows how tough one's schedule is until the end of a season. Rarely do you have seasons like last year where on paper UF's schedule looked to be the toughest before the year and ended up being #1 by most accounts by seasons end.

Take FSU for instance.  Certainly it appears tough with names like Colorado, Alabama, Florida, Miami, and Virginia Tech.  But Colorado is coming off a what, 2 or 3 win season?  Miami barely went .500, Bama was under, VT was usual, beat poor teams lose to good, and only UF had a top team but lost an entire defense and a few key offensive leaders.  Now one or more of those teams could rebound, or one ore more could drop. No one knows.

But I'll stack LSU (top 5-10), Auburn (top 20), Georgia (top 25), Tenn. (top 20), FSU (top 25?), SC (top 25) up against ANY schedule in the country.  There are easily 6 potential top 25 teams on UF's schedule. Sorry, why go outside the conference when your schedule looks like that?  No reason to, other than the FSU game we can get enough top competition within.

ROFLMAO at that son.  While your down there see if you can find yourself a life.

Tell me what you find so funny about UF playing those teams.  Surely you aren't  dumb enough to imply that those are not worth competitors. I'll chalk this up to your ignorance with regards to UF's schedule and leave it at that.  Because anyone who knew who UF was playing wouldn't claim it was something to ROFLMAO about.  No one can be that stupid.  Although with an FSU fan you can never be too certain......

Runole

Hall of Famer
#38 : May 29, 2007, 05:05:34 PM

You can't control your conference schedule!, but you can control your out of conference, and that is why UF will always be considered "PURE YELLER BELLY". The last time UF traveled out of state to play a BCS opponent?   1991 ROFLMAO!! against Syracuse Hmmm? who won? AND NOW WE KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY ON WHY?? UF IS PURE YELLER BELLY!!

Tell me again how Western Kentucky, Troy and Florida Atlantic compare to Colorado ,Alabama, and UAB or with Miami's OC of Oklahoma, Marshall, +Texas A &M and of course FIU in place of what should be Florida!!

I can understand you demeaning BCS schools like Colorado Oklahoma Texas A& M after all you never play them in the regular season.  How about Alabama  are they not worthy??

My life is fine!!  How is yours??  BAWK BAWK BAWK!!

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#39 : May 29, 2007, 05:07:44 PM

Didn't FSU play Troy last year?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : May 29, 2007, 05:20:04 PM

why go out of conference to play good teams when you can play them IN your conference every week? 

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#41 : May 29, 2007, 06:28:05 PM

Runole, you do run on...and on...and on....and on.....but you're still not saying anything worthwhile.  Hmmmmmm

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 29, 2007, 07:25:39 PM

First of all I have always thought College football was about seeking competition. Who cares what the makeup of fans are at a particular game? Bottom line a UF vs UM or UM vs FSU or UF vs FSU are going to be watched by the entire nation. Do you as a gator fan really care if Western Carolina brings 250 to 500 fans to Ben Hill Griffin? What kind of conflicted logic worries about how much UM makes from a UF vs Miami game??

Money is never conflicted logic (unless you don't have any)
The difference is W. Carolina or Troy etc is a home sellout every year.  UM would be a home sellout every other year.

"Sorry but the $$ excuse is never going to cut it.    UF is by far one of the wealthiest programs in the nation. They won't lose money by playing Miami away every other year!! "

One of the reasons they are one of the wealthiest programs, is they don't make foolish decisions.

" UF avoids Miami annually and refuses to play any Out of Conference game outside the state of Florida for ONE REASON!!  THEY ARE AFRAID OF A LOSS"

If that were true then UF would drop out of the SEC and Join the ACC!

I would like to see UM on the schedulel.  Many Gator fans have asked for it. What I posted were the reasons given by the AD and President, and it all revolved around money. 

Your "UF is rich" arguement is like saying Microsoft should give Vista away for free because they are already so rich.  The world doesn't work that way.  It's all about the money, always has been always will be.

The idea that UF or any program "is afraid'' of competition is just ludicrous.

Now the idea of fans being afraid to go to the Orange Bowl, that's different.  It's called "I don't want my car stolen".

#43 : May 29, 2007, 08:54:31 PM

Yellow =/= yeller.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#44 : May 30, 2007, 11:12:42 AM

Didn't FSU play Troy last year?

Yes they did but that was due to the expansion of the league with BC VT and UM. When expansion occurs there often will be last minute teams put on the schedule.  However, proof that it was not by design is this years out of conference schedule with Colorado and Alabama added.

Understand I have no problem with one easy game a year for a bit of  a breather but dropping your 3rd oldest rival for a breather is most cowardly and that is what UF did.  When the NCAA approved the additional 12 th game, UF had an excellent opportunity to step up to the pump to quiet the detractors. In typical gator fashion they again showed their sheer cowardice in avoiding competition by not renewing the rivalry on an annual basis.

Now UF not only has 3 breathers almost every season but additionally has such SEC powerhouse's Vandy and Kentucky on the annual play list.   While Spurrier is making South Carolina better they have never really accomplished anything special in the SEC.   This season UF has Ole Miss on for the next 2 years which I am sure will follow with awesome Miss St??  So UF has pretty much guaranteed 7 win season with little effort. 

Sorry, but that is not impressive.  Of course UF is not alone in this salting the mine every year to make won/loss records look attractive as SEC teams have made a living padding their schedules to make won/ loss records look better by avoiding tough Out of conference competition.  That is so fans like Ray can point to voter rankings and claim how every SEC team is ready to face the NFL!! LOL... Of course with just a little objectivity one can see through the sham!!   One day it is my hope that UF will actually have the ethics and integrity to seek out competition rather than avoid it.

The dropping of Miami remains the biggest travesty in the history of college football in the state of Florida.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bama lands Saban!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools