Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Don Banks on April 28, 2003 said... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #15 : January 03, 2007, 02:07:13 PM »

And of course the article, having been written almost four years ago, doesn't even take into consideration how unspectacular the pick of Coleman and downright sad the use of a 1st and a 2nd on Walker turned out to be. If those two guys could have become anchors for this team, things might have looked a little better for the current state of affairs.

When you have only one pick out of the top 200 guys over four seasons, that top pick can't be as bad a miss as Kenyatta Walker has been.

To be fair, when looking at our current roster you should aknowledge Galloway when reviewing our draft picks over this period, as we traded the picks for KJ who was in turn traded for Joey.  Also, while I'm as mad as anyone about Kenyatta's performance, keep in mind that he was a can't miss pick who everyone thought was going to be top-5 and was considered an absolute steal where we nabbed him at 14.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #16 : January 03, 2007, 02:14:20 PM »

To be fair, when looking at our current roster you should aknowledge Galloway when reviewing our draft picks over this period, as we traded the picks for KJ who was in turn traded for Joey.

True, but that doesn't replace the picks. It's still two young, hopefully strong, contributors that are missing as the veteran is inching closer to the end of his career.

Also, while I'm as mad as anyone about Kenyatta's performance, keep in mind that he was a can't miss pick who everyone thought was going to be top-5 and was considered an absolute steal where we nabbed him at 14.

While Kenyatta was tabbed the second best OT in the draft, taking him at #14 might have been considered a "steal" (at the time) had the Bucs not had to trade their #2 to get him. Of course history shows us that a steal he was not. So again, two picks that were essentially wasted.

But I understand your point in wanting to balance out the argument at least a little bit. The bottom line is that the lack of premium picks and the wasted picks have come back to haunt this team and it was identified by someone who covers the league professionally as a problem the Bucs would eventually have to confront.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

« #17 : January 03, 2007, 02:27:31 PM »

DTG, good find-- I have been saying this the entire season that the mortgage had caught us and blowing 9 top draft picks since 99 would really hurt. The only good that came out of it was the SB win and I was willing at that time to take it and take the lean years that would follow. Being a firm supporter of this team for  20 some odd years paid off when i enjoyed one of the best weeks of my life in SD and capping it off with a huge SB win. Thats something most folks wont see in a lifetime. It was all well worth it.

Now time to rebuild with a damn good HC who has had to fight through alot of adversity with cap and draft woes, but we are now out the woods coming into this offseason. I hope and pull that this franchise gets back on top. It is just refreshing to know now- that with owners like the Glazers that they will try their hardest to get a good product on the field and are willing to spend alot for it.

As I said before DTG- great find and adds alot of perspective to why the Bucs are where they are. Even though alot of us have banged are heads into a wall of haters trying to explain the same thing.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #18 : January 03, 2007, 02:27:59 PM »

To be fair, when looking at our current roster you should acknowledge Galloway when reviewing our draft picks over this period, as we traded the picks for KJ who was in turn traded for Joey.

True, but that doesn't replace the picks. It's still two young, hopefully strong, contributors that are missing as the veteran is inching closer to the end of his career.

Also, while I'm as mad as anyone about Kenyatta's performance, keep in mind that he was a can't miss pick who everyone thought was going to be top-5 and was considered an absolute steal where we nabbed him at 14.

While Kenyatta was tabbed the second best OT in the draft, taking him at #14 might have been considered a "steal" (at the time) had the Bucs not had to trade their #2 to get him. Of course history shows us that a steal he was not. So again, two picks that were essentially wasted.

But I understand your point in wanting to balance out the argument at least a little bit. The bottom line is that the lack of premium picks and the wasted picks have come back to haunt this team and it was identified by someone who covers the league professionally as a problem the Bucs would eventually have to confront.

Just wanted to point out that some of those picks are still on this team, even though they weren't used in the draft (Galloway).  And I agree that the Kenyatta deal really hurt us, but a lot of people hold that strictly as McKay's fault.  At the time, though, he was a can't miss prospect, who unfortunately did miss (like Gallery).
You are right, though, the lack of picks certainly is having a major effect on the team, and it is exacerbated by the fact that the few picks we used were ineffective.  Hopefully we are successful enough in this draft to get all that behind us.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #19 : January 03, 2007, 04:38:38 PM »

What this explains is that Gruden should be fired for taking away 2 more 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for the trade to get him.  This ruined our team after we got our Superbowl.

Signed,
Bucsguru

God told me to fire John Gruden

Excuses, excuses, excuses.  If Jon and the Glazers knew this, why didn't they just post it on the jumbotron at the stadium that for the next however many years, we would suck because without Gruden there is no way in the world we will a Superbowl??
Geeesh, you Grudenista's are worse than the union...

« #20 : January 03, 2007, 04:39:41 PM »

What this explains is that Gruden should be fired for taking away 2 more 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for the trade to get him. This ruined our team after we got our Superbowl.

Signed,
Bucsguru

God told me to fire John Gruden

Excuses, excuses, excuses. If Jon and the Glazers knew this, why didn't they just post it on the jumbotron at the stadium that for the next however many years, we would suck because without Gruden there is no way in the world we will a Superbowl??
Geeesh, you Grudenista's are worse than the union...
Is that you big bad bob?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #21 : January 03, 2007, 05:27:59 PM »

Is that you big bad bob?

No.  It is I, BucsGuru! 
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Don Banks on April 28, 2003 said... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools