Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2006 Bucs defense one of the worst in the league « previous next »
Page: 1

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: January 03, 2007, 11:51:34 AM

In going over some of the numbers from the 2006 campaign, I was struck by just how awful the Bucs defense was in a category that had once been a strength for them: takeaways. In fact, the Bucs D was so bad in the takeaway category that they were ranked third worst in the NFL with only 20 in total (and that was with 4 INT's against the Brownies).

Without those four picks, the Bucs would have been 31st in the league.

The Bucs were bad, but not quite as bad, giving the ball away, ranking 24th.

The bigger problem with the low number of takeaways is when you extend that figure over to consider the overall turnover margin. The Bucs were at a dismal -12 in the turnover margin stat. Baltimore was tops at +17, while the Raiders were the league embarrassment at a mind-boggling -23. That means that the Bucs were a deficit of nearly 30 away from the league leader.

Last year, the Bucs were +7 in turnover margin. In the championship season, they were +17.

Twelve teams were in the negative on turnover margin, and surprisingly two of those teams are playoff teams (though both are in the NFC and neither look like powerhouses) New Orleans and Seattle.

It appears that neither unit, offense or defense, did their partner any favors during 2006. It is imperative that the Bucs work on limiting the giveaways (Chris Simms and his seven picks in two-and-a-half games really hurt that number, hopefully if he's the starter there won't be a repeat of that in 2007) and significantly improving the takeaways, thus giving more opportunities to the offense.

watson

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 03, 2007, 11:55:02 AM

DTG,
This is why I still believe that defense has to be the priority this off-season.  Even if they bring in some players during FA, they need to spend the bulk of the draft on defense.  The first pick can be any of the top 4 (except I'm not a Quinn fan) and they should be improved.  But after that they need to load up on defense. 

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 03, 2007, 11:55:34 AM

I've got to say, I miss the days of that looooooong streak of games with had with at least one sack and one int that we had for a while there.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 03, 2007, 12:04:34 PM

DTG,
This is why I still believe that defense has to be the priority this off-season.  Even if they bring in some players during FA, they need to spend the bulk of the draft on defense.  The first pick can be any of the top 4 (except I'm not a Quinn fan) and they should be improved.  But after that they need to load up on defense. 

Defense should be a priority, and I believe they intend to focus mainly on FA to fill the holes. I think that some unfortunate draft choices like McFarland, Marcus Jones, Phillips, Cooper, and Nate Webster may have them leaning toward acquiring more proven talent rather than just some kids with potential. Plus, the availability of FA talent is much better on the defensive side of the ball this time out.

watson

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 03, 2007, 12:05:43 PM

DTG,
This is why I still believe that defense has to be the priority this off-season. Even if they bring in some players during FA, they need to spend the bulk of the draft on defense. The first pick can be any of the top 4 (except I'm not a Quinn fan) and they should be improved. But after that they need to load up on defense.
That would make sense.

Defense should be a priority, and I believe they intend to focus mainly on FA to fill the holes. I think that some unfortunate draft choices like McFarland, Marcus Jones, Phillips, Cooper, and Nate Webster may have them leaning toward acquiring more proven talent rather than just some kids with potential. Plus, the availability of FA talent is much better on the defensive side of the ball this time out.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

#5 : January 03, 2007, 12:23:55 PM

A direct result of lack of playmakers. Man, i'd love to see Adalius Thomas in pewter.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 03, 2007, 12:53:28 PM

The biggest key to the turnover battle for the Bucs is reinstating a serious pass-rush threat up the middle.  It's the combination of an edge-rusher forcing the QB to step up in the pocket along with an interior lineman collapsing the pocket in the QBs face that allowed our LBs and DBs to take advantage of poor decisions and rack up INTs.  With all the talk of signing guys like Freeney, Thomas, etc, the D still won't be back to form without someone in the middle to collaps the pocket.

redtab78

Pro Bowler
#7 : January 03, 2007, 01:17:32 PM

I would like to see our first or second pick be........

Amobi-Okai  ??SP?? from Arizona....that guy was a beast last night

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 03, 2007, 01:33:26 PM

The pass rush goes away and everything else falters. No pressure = no pick and frnakly Simeon with that strip move accounted for a lot of forced fumbles. Got to get the pass rush back.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 03, 2007, 05:45:11 PM

When all we've done is address offensive problems through the draft and free agency the last few years, it was inevitable that a neglected defensive unit would go down hill, although no one saw it happening this fast.  In fact, With the Chris Simms debacle the first two games, the defensive collapse sealed the 2006 season.

redtab78

Pro Bowler
#10 : January 03, 2007, 05:48:34 PM

Thats why we need a FRANCHISE QB!!!!!  one for about 6-8 years

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2006 Bucs defense one of the worst in the league « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools