Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My theory on why the offense struggles « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: October 28, 2008, 12:35:11 PM

The reason for lack of scoring and offensive production comes down to three things.

1. The willingness of Gruden to throw the football even when the passing game stinks, rated at or near the bottom in every passing category in the NFL. Along with quarterbacks that refuse to pull the trigger for fear of losing there job to the next guy.

2. Grudens theory that the passing game is better then the running game, you drafted big physical offensive lineman to maul opposing defenses, but as Gruden says we pass the football here until he is willing to concede that passing the football here is not working the trend will continue.

3. In game adjustments something that he rarely does, if he comes up with a gameplan he sticks with it even though there is little to no success with it, he refuses to change or adjust to what another team takes away from his offense. 

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 28, 2008, 12:38:31 PM

Gruden, Gruden and Gruden...got it!

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 28, 2008, 12:44:51 PM

we've got a mauling OL.  we've got big physical receivers.  we've got a speedster, a surehands, and a do it all receiver.  we've got big fast TE's.  we have a workhorse, a shiftyspeed guy, and a burner in the backfield.  we have 3 completely different types of QB to choose from.

ive got no real theory on why the offense struggles, besides the philosophy.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 28, 2008, 12:46:56 PM

Sammy - who is in charge of the offense? is it not Gruden? is Gruden the guy in charge of making adjustment in game and at halftime? Is Gruden not the play caller? Is it not Grudens offense? seems to me that he brings in new players and quarterbacks at will but doesnt change coaches and since there is no offensive coordinator on this team other then a guy with the title, by letting players continue to play and not hit open receivers and throw interceptions it falls on him.

#4 : October 28, 2008, 12:48:29 PM

in the 20 or so Bucs games Ive attended in person..  ive never seen them adjust an offensive game plan. 

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 28, 2008, 12:48:53 PM

cc,

#3.  You mean like constantly running when we are doing nothing when trying it?

Supposedly the OL is best at run blocking. I just haven't seen it in recent weeks. Our RB are doing nothing. Maybe when Askew comes back it will change.

Even the play action can't work if you can't run.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 28, 2008, 12:49:25 PM

we've got a mauling OL.  we've got big physical receivers.  we've got a speedster, a surehands, and a do it all receiver.  we've got big fast TE's.  we have a workhorse, a shiftyspeed guy, and a burner in the backfield.  we have 3 completely different types of QB to choose from.

ive got no real theory on why the offense struggles, besides the philosophy.

I agree with your assessment.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 28, 2008, 12:51:05 PM

So if it is philosophy then who's philosophy is it? would it not be Grudens?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 28, 2008, 12:54:16 PM

This has been discussed numerous times. Gruden gives the QB 3 plays at the LOS, it is the QB's choice based on look as to what to call. This is a staple of his offense and will never change, to say he feels the passing game is better is nothing more than an assumption based on the plays ran. Should he only give Garcia 1 play? Maybe, but that goes against hiw entire offensive MO.

The offense struggles only because of the QB, that's all. Put Jim Sorgie in place of Peyton Manning and see how that offense operates.

The mis-match, or we thought, was the Dallas secondary, not their interior D.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 28, 2008, 12:55:45 PM

in the 20 or so Bucs games Ive attended in person.. ive never seen them adjust an offensive game plan.

I take it you're on the sideline and in the lockerroom during halftime? To say this becasue you sit in the stands is retarded, you have no clue as to what adjustments are made throughout the game.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 28, 2008, 12:57:55 PM

Sammy - who is in charge of the offense? is it not Gruden? is Gruden the guy in charge of making adjustment in game and at halftime? Is Gruden not the play caller? Is it not Grudens offense? seems to me that he brings in new players and quarterbacks at will but doesnt change coaches and since there is no offensive coordinator on this team other then a guy with the title, by letting players continue to play and not hit open receivers and throw interceptions it falls on him.

Well, let me give you some examples of negative plays Sunday:

1st quarter:

3rd and 1 at DAL 18 (11:44) E.Graham right guard to DAL 18 for no gain (T.Johnson).

1st and 10 at DAL 14 (2:20) W.Dunn up the middle to DAL 14 for no gain (D.Ware).

2nd quarter:

1st and 10 at TB 25 (9:23) E.Graham right end to TB 23 for -2 yards (M.Spears). Quick pitch; Graham slips on the cut.

2nd and 3 at DAL 25 (4:27) E.Graham up the middle to DAL 25 for no gain (C.Canty; K.Hamlin).    
 Â PENALTY on TB-J.Faine, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at DAL 25 - No Play.

3rd quarter:

1st and 10 at TB 9 (11:01) E.Graham left guard to TB 9 for no gain (D.Ware).

1st and 10 at DAL 21 (2:13) E.Graham right tackle to DAL 22 for -1 yards (K.Davis; D.Ware).

These are drive-killers and I hope you're not going to blame Gruden for bad play-calling or bad philosophy here...

What is Gruden doing wrong here?

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#11 : October 28, 2008, 12:59:20 PM

I agree that the team should run the ball more, but I think the passing game falls on the QB. I have no problem with alot of the play calls from that game. If you look at alot of the replays we had guys open and Garcia didnt hit them. Garcia had been playing well but he didnt play well last week. The color commentary was all pro cowboys and were loving the way Garcia was missing guys all over the field. I dont know if we have to pull Garcia and put in McCown or Griese again, but Garcia should def look at the tape and see where he missed guys. We should run the ball more though like the original poster said. I have been saying that all year since our Oline is best at run blocking. We may not have run the ball well these last couple weeks but the more they get the ball the better runs they make. Gruden has to start calling more running plays. You also have to take in that Gruden may call alot of running plays but Garcia also changes alot of calls too at the line of scrimmage based on what the defense is showing them. So its not all on Gruden here guys. I think the blame goes out on the QB and the coach. Also guys need to stop dropping catches too. See Clayton and Stevens.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 28, 2008, 01:01:21 PM

This has been discussed numerous times.

...and apparently will continue to be discussed after a loss...

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#13 : October 28, 2008, 01:07:04 PM

Thank You Keeponbucn for replying to the comment regarding sitting in the stands and not seeing the offensive adjustment..enough said there.

As far as the offensive struggles go...Yes, it was Gruden missing open WR, it was Gruden throwing short passes, it was Gruden throwing passes behind the players...Run some laps Gruden, you owe me that for your poor passing and bad decisions.

simmstheanswer

Starter

#14 : October 28, 2008, 01:07:58 PM

who cares who's in charge of the offense, it's who's executing it that matters. Gruden's play calling v Dallas was perfect. i was at the game, and there are 6 or 7 sure TD passes that were never thrown. the right plays were called, the QB simply didn't/can't/won't execute at the level we need him to.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My theory on why the offense struggles « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools