Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My theory on why the offense struggles « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#120 : October 29, 2008, 05:25:27 PM

Sammy - Alot of games this year even with one back in the back field the splits are so close to the offensive line not just in the Cowboys game. Just think with wider splits by the receivers would allow for a bigger box for the running backs to operate within thus allowing for wider gaps and more openings, not to mention less congestion for the receivers when running all of the shallow routes

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#121 : October 29, 2008, 05:30:13 PM

Sammy - Alot of games this year even with one back in the back field the splits are so close to the offensive line not just in the Cowboys game. Just think with wider splits by the receivers would allow for a bigger box for the running backs to operate within thus allowing for wider gaps and more openings, not to mention less congestion for the receivers when running all of the shallow routes

As far as the congestion for the receivers, seems to me similar to "trips" sets that lots of teams do...

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#122 : October 29, 2008, 05:30:27 PM

Hard to get a ground game going when they are only running the football on average 2.3 times per possession compared to nearly triple passing plays per possession

Also, I take it you're espousing the "momentum" formula of running the football where we keep pounding the rock until the defense wears down in the 4th quarter...

But what about quarters 1-3? Shouldn't we expect some decent gains in the running game in the first 20 carries? If not, it's almost crazy to say "keep pounding that rock" as we're averaging a steady 2.5 yds./carry...

I think the idea is that if you set the expectation with the team and the line that you are going to pound the rock, and then you continue to call a heavy run selection instead of 1/4 plays that you will see the ypc improve.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#123 : October 29, 2008, 05:39:01 PM

Hard to get a ground game going when they are only running the football on average 2.3 times per possession compared to nearly triple passing plays per possession

Also, I take it you're espousing the "momentum" formula of running the football where we keep pounding the rock until the defense wears down in the 4th quarter...

But what about quarters 1-3? Shouldn't we expect some decent gains in the running game in the first 20 carries? If not, it's almost crazy to say "keep pounding that rock" as we're averaging a steady 2.5 yds./carry...

I think the idea is that if you set the expectation with the team and the line that you are going to pound the rock, and then you continue to call a heavy run selection instead of 1/4 plays that you will see the ypc improve.

I'm all for the importance of the mental part of the game as well, but I think you're making that a bit too simple...

We got whipped up front Sunday -- so a big part of it is execution...
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My theory on why the offense struggles « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools