Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My theory on why the offense struggles « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

simmstheanswer

Starter

#30 : October 28, 2008, 01:35:03 PM

did you really expect to win the Super Bowl this year?
I didn't, but when will it be time to think that?

when we have a qb that can consistently play just OK. bring in Orton next year!!!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#31 : October 28, 2008, 01:35:56 PM

Sammy - I was only responding to someone else who suggested it was philosophy, as far as expecting them to be in the superbowl thought they were an 8-8 to 9-7 team  and still think the way the offense plays it will be somewhere between 7-9 - 9-7, what I did expect was a better offensive product which after six full season and a hand picked qb in his second year in the offense not to mention one of the better talent wise offensive lines this team has had to be able to score. What happened to all the plays that was coming with a more wide open playbook. the more things change the more the stay the same with this offense

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

#32 : October 28, 2008, 01:37:14 PM

bring in Tim Tebow next year and run the wildcat!

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 28, 2008, 01:37:39 PM

did you really expect to win the Super Bowl this year?
I didn't, but when will it be time to think that?

That's a fair question and a good idea for a thread, but the constant, consistent griping on the same stuff -- after every loss -- of a team that almost everybody believes has met expectations or overachieved at the halfway point of the season -- gets tiresome...

Madman

Hall of Famer
#34 : October 28, 2008, 01:38:14 PM

It takes 2 passes in this offense to even gain a first down.  

Ain't that the painful truth! Sometimes it takes 3 btw.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#35 : October 28, 2008, 01:38:24 PM

I thougt last week. IF and only IF we beat Dallas we had a chance to really make some noise.  
Obviously, that didn't happen.  Do I think we would be better off going in a different direction. Yes, I do, at least, offensively.  

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 28, 2008, 01:53:12 PM

How about developing a qb, Gruden has been here seven years and still no future qb just retreads.

Yeah but that's not part of your theory. Stick to one argument.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 28, 2008, 02:01:45 PM

perhaps it is the players' lack of execution...

You must be accountable for your actions!

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#38 : October 28, 2008, 02:08:10 PM

I personally believe that Gruden has to take responsibility for the offense he is in charge of, and to that end, he does.  However, he cannot be responsible for the decisions and results of the play called, regardless of whether it was an audible or not.  
I whole heartedly agree that Gruden rarely changes his gameplan, regardless of whether the opponent has figured it out or not.  My biggest concern is that we never perform anything "CONSISTENTLY" on offense, since we never run the same basic plays consistently.  The gameplan changes from week to week, and IMO, should not do so as much.  We need basic plays that we know will work.  The exotic plays that are ran by Gruden in this offense are puzzling to me.  Whatever happened to lining up, man on man, and pass and catch?  or run the ball?  I personally believe we have the talent to do great things, yet we are not capitalizing on this.
The Dallas game falls on Garcia, but a lot more have fallen on Gruden.  I said it at the beginning of this season, and I will stand by my statement: We need to go to the playoffs and win a playoff game or else Gruden will be coaching elsewhere in 2009.  These next four games are going to be crucial.  One slip up and we can kiss the division goodbye.  Another slip up and the coach begins to sweat.  Here is to hoping that this doesn't happen, but if so, bring in someone who will breathe new life into this team.  

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 28, 2008, 02:15:00 PM

If the QB is audibling to the wrong plays at the line, it's Gruden's responsibility to correct it

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 28, 2008, 02:17:37 PM

If the QB is audibling to the wrong plays at the line, it's Gruden's responsibility to correct it

since when is Gruden playing QB for the Bucs...last I checked it is his responsibility to put his player's in the best position to succeed...how about the players be held accountable by the fans i.e. Dexter Jackson

You must be accountable for your actions!

GoBucUrself

Rookie

#41 : October 28, 2008, 02:21:14 PM

I guess that I am not watching the same offense that you guys are...

We had 19 carries Sunday for 48 yards... thats 2.5 yards per carry.  I dont know much about Math but I do know that 3 x 2.5 < 10.  So all you geniuses that are calling for running the ball all day need to think about it.  3rd and 5 every down isnt all that great in this league.

We ran the ball 4 times on first down for a grand total of -2 yards gained.... Are we supposed to pound it up the middle on 2nd and 12, after just getting stuffed?...REALLY???

You guys honestly sit here and blame Gruden for not running the ball more?  Hes not ON THE FIELD.  He cannot somehow magically Coach an open hole for EG to run thru.  He also cannot magically conjure a good lead blocker.  I dont know what you guys expect, but consider the facts here:

- The bucs run a power run block game (man on man blocks, no zone)
- Without a Fullback our power run game has been gimped.
- The only way to free up space in the running game in this case is to run out of passing formations with the threat to pass loosening up the D (Singleback)

When we get healthy at FB the running game will improve.  But the real prob with our offense is that neither Griese nor Garcia are capable of executing the passing game vs talented defenses.  Period.  So that means all we can do is hope for the D to bail us out, force turnovers, and try to hang onto the ball on offense as long as we can so the D stays fresh.  That is the way this team has been run for 10 years, and its the way we are built from the ground up.  Either you deal with that or you can stop watching, but don't sit here and call out gruden for not running it more than 20 times when we are avging 2.5 ypc.

JC510

Practice Squad

#42 : October 28, 2008, 02:21:48 PM

We don't attack the defense. We had a 2nd and 1, you can do so many things there. Boy Blunder puts Graham at FB and gives him a quick dive for 2 yards. You're not going to score points that way.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#43 : October 28, 2008, 02:23:16 PM

since when is the Offensive Coordinator not responsible for the Offense that is out on the field?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#44 : October 28, 2008, 02:34:39 PM

Since Gruden was hired to be the head coach / offensive coordinator here in Tampa, if there was an offensive coordinator here ever fan of the Bucs would be calling for his head, since Gruden wheres both hats he should not have to be responsible for the lackluster offense.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My theory on why the offense struggles « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools