Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone else getting into the stock market lately? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 28, 2008, 10:55:24 PM

stocks I plan to buy within the next few days/weeks

Under Armour
Spirint Phones
smurfitt (kind of a gamble but cheap)
Gannett

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 28, 2008, 10:57:37 PM

I know I am new to the stock market, and have no high expectations with the first $500, but I have always been interested in trying it out, and if I make money, I will stay in it. The $500 I put in is just tip money I had after paying all of my bills for the month. Win or lose, I expect to learn a lot about the system with this. I'm only 21, I have plenty of time to recover any losses.

and you will know if you do well, you dont want guys like Obama as president but that will come after college Im sure

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 28, 2008, 10:58:07 PM

Sin stocks - Alcohol, Cigarettes and Sex. there not going anywhere.

My goal is to choose 3 companies and invest the $500 to see what happens, and Coors is one of the companies I am considering right now. It went up 9.69% today, and I will see what it does for the remainder of the week before I buy.
165 bucks each company, but you have to think about your brokerage fee. What is it at your brokerage?
Times that number by 3.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 28, 2008, 11:03:30 PM

I cant believe after the boom today AMD (which is on my radar) STILL lost today! Wow!

I believe they fix radar: http://www.geeksquad.com/� Give them a call.

LOL.

Yeah, I was curious to see what AMD would do. It came back from down bigger. But still down.

Did you buy any at $3.50?

Yup............(feel for me??) lol! Down a bit.

No, because unless they go under, you'll make money eventually.

kmitchell

Starter

#19 : October 29, 2008, 08:03:37 PM

I am looking into Mariner Energy Inc. (ME) as my first trade. What do you guys think of that company?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 29, 2008, 08:42:36 PM

I put $500 into an Etrade account, and in 4 days I can start trading.

Don't take this personal as it doesn't relate to you, but that is the biggest bunch of bovine feces I have ever heard. G*& D@#^&%#m Etrade!

ARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!

[/rant]

If a full service broker (i.e. a human being, not a machine) opened an account for $500 for a student, to actively trade, the freakin regulators would be on him like white on rice. Used to be Minimum account was $2000 and that was for an IRA. Used to be if your income was under @$50k and/or net worth under $200k it was mutual funds only.

Scottrade has a minimum account of only $500.

Ive been told Bank of America offers a free brokerage account with them if you are one of their customers....with no minimum. ING Direct also requires no minimum.

Missing the point.

Dont be so quick to judge.

I'm not judging kmitchell or anyone else here, I'm judging the hypocrisy and idiocity of the regulators.  If you are a full service broker, you are only allowed to accept clients that make certain levels of income and net worth, even if they make their own picks. If I let a college student open an account for $500-$1000, and even if he picks his own stocks, if he loses money, I get fined, suspended, and probably sued. A licensed broker has a responsibility to protect people from themselves.

But a clerk at one of these Walmart-esque firm has no such rules or responsibilities. An American broker, working on commisions and or performance based fees, is heavily regulated (as it should be) and has several different orgs. watching his moves and restricting his activities. But these "Discount firms" can outsource all contact to Habib in Hyderabad and is exempt from these regs and responsiblities and no one is required to protect investors from themselves.

kmitchell

Starter

#21 : October 29, 2008, 09:04:03 PM

I came into this under the assumption I am on my own, and it is up to me whether I make or lose money. Am I supposed to have someone looking after me? I plan on learning more with this $500 than anything else.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 29, 2008, 09:26:37 PM

I came into this under the assumption I am on my own, and it is up to me whether I make or lose money. Am I supposed to have someone looking after me? I plan on learning more with this $500 than anything else.

JG is just trying to say that the regulators have a double standard and benefit the brokers like E Trade in a HUGE way.

Hell, don't just try to learn. Take that $500 tip money and try to double it. And then double it again! And again!

It's not rent money, right?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone else getting into the stock market lately? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools