Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official 2008 Tampa Bay Rays Discussion Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 445 446 447

Garv

Hall of Famer
#6690 : October 31, 2008, 10:36:00 AM

would you trade Upton to Boston for Papelbon?

In a heartbeat.

Not if we could sign Upton to along term deal I wouldn't.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6691 : October 31, 2008, 11:57:07 AM

Foley waving in Bartlett.  Unbelievable.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200810313656387

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#6692 : October 31, 2008, 12:00:11 PM

In a heartbeat.

I think I'd at least have to think about whether I wanted to trade away a 5 tool stud for a closer, but I wouldn't laugh and hang up on Theo either.
Completely agree.

I would try to sign Upton long term, if we were way off then I would definitely start listening more and more, however, I think that could end up being a horrible curse for us, because like I have said before, BJ is on the verge of breaking out.

I would bet money that kid is an all star next year, hopefully we have him signed up before then.

Sidenote: Edwin being a reliever loks very good to me now. He looked good for the most part out of the pen against playoff teams, I look for him to flourish in the pen, or so I hope.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6693 : October 31, 2008, 12:04:30 PM

In a heartbeat.

Not if we could sign Upton to along term deal I wouldn't.

I don't see that happening if it hasn't happened already.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6694 : October 31, 2008, 12:09:14 PM

If I'm not mistaken we have BJ under control for 3 more years.  There's no reason to feel pressure to move him or to start shopping him, but if other teams are interested and they want to offer something big in return, then I'd be listening if I was Friedman.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6695 : October 31, 2008, 12:14:10 PM

Exactly.

Hopefully Jackson turns out to be a top-notch closer, but if not, Papelbon is a stud.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#6696 : October 31, 2008, 02:43:12 PM

Exactly.

Hopefully Jackson turns out to be a top-notch closer, but if not, Papelbon is a stud.
That's a lot to ask for out of Edwin, I'm just hoping for a 7th inning guy, and maybe one day a good reliable set up man. I still feel even though I like Edwin, that we need to sign a closer.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6697 : October 31, 2008, 02:55:50 PM

The guy's got the stuff to be a top-notch closer.  We need to find out if he has the mentality.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#6698 : October 31, 2008, 02:57:24 PM

The guy's got the stuff to be a top-notch closer. We need to find out if he has the mentality.
Obviously he has the stuff, I have never heard anyone question that...

His mentality has always been his flaw.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6699 : October 31, 2008, 03:03:38 PM

I think he would be able to focus for an inning at a time.

I've been saying that for a while.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#6700 : October 31, 2008, 03:15:02 PM

I heard nothing...just trying to find a way to bring in a top notch closer and IMO get rid of the only distraction left in the
clubhouse---5 tool or not...
two names I came across on CNNSI as FA...Bobby Abreu and Juan Rivera would they have a price tag that the Rays might consider in RF?

You must be accountable for your actions!

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#6701 : October 31, 2008, 05:46:31 PM

That distraction was the reason we made it to the world series.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6702 : October 31, 2008, 05:47:15 PM

IMO get rid of the only distraction left in the clubhouse---5 tool or not...

He didn't seem to be a distraction this year.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6703 : October 31, 2008, 05:48:11 PM

That distraction was the reason we made it to the world series.

No doubt.  He probably would have been the ALCS MVP if not for the gem that Garza tossed in Game 7.

#6704 : October 31, 2008, 07:27:33 PM

Well the fact that the season has ended has sunk in now, and it's time to look forward to more great things to come. It will never be easy for this team because of the deivision they play in, they cant just "show up" year in and year out and expect to compete. I look forward to the future, and unlike almost any of the previous World Series losers we are sitting in a position  to be a much stronger, truer version of who we really look to be next year. The team surpassed everyones expectations this year. All of us who have followed the daily/weekly goings ons of this team can really appreciate how this organization has completely fulfilled what we as fans forcasted the past 2-3 years, and then some. We have been able to realize every sports fans dream, of sticking by a dead beat team and watching them grow into a well oiled winning machine. We are Division Champs. The best team in the AL. No matter how uninspiring the World Series performance was, the Rays have FINALLY gained the respect of the Red Sox and Yankees. We aren't going to be shown pity anymore. Their fans cant talk down to us anymore just because of a false sense of pride they get when their teams are slaughtering our defenseless Rays. We have arrived and are setup for long-term success against the best this league has to offer.

I'm going to lock this thread out, and begin the offseason thread. Congrats to our team and GO RAYS!
Page: 1 ... 445 446 447
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official 2008 Tampa Bay Rays Discussion Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools