Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looking ahead to the 2009 draft at quarterbacks and receivers « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: October 30, 2008, 05:32:26 PM

With the team at the midway point figured it was high time to start taking a look at some college prospects that fit the scheme or met a need based off of the first half of the season.

In no particular order but with the teams current contract status, age and lack of production at a few different positions here is a list of players at each position that I feel could be a need heading into 2009

QB - With both Garcia and McCown being free agents and Griese still looking like he did when he left a pick six winner will this be the year the team decides that talent meets need in the first round and drafts the potential future of the franchise?

1. Sam Bradford Oklahoma 6'3 218 - Bradford a redshirt sophomore that could enter the draft has decent size not to mention eye popping numbers with a 69% completion percentage along with 65 touchdowns to 13 interceptions and 5896 yards through the air could land Bradford as the top quarterback taken should he declare early. 

2. Mathew Stafford Georgia 6'3 236 - Stafford is not much of a runner, but playing in the SEC should have him a head of the curve when it comes to eluding pressure off the edges in the NFL. Decision making still needs a lot of work with 28 interception to just 38 touchdowns in 2 1/2 season as the starter not a polished passer.

3. Colt McCoy Texas 6'3 216 - McCoy is both a passer and runner has great touch and accuracy on his passes and is able to keep plays alive with his feet. in 2 1/2 years as a starter for the longhorns McCoy has gotten better and has done what coaches have asked him to do with 72 touchdowns to 29 interception for 8158 yards with a 70% completion percentage. Will take off when a play breaks down and has the speed to produce long gains in a hurry with 262 rushes for 1455 yards and 13 touchdowns

4. Josh Freeman Kansas State 6'6 248 - Freeman while he looks every bit the part of a pro QB need as alot of work at reading defenses at the next level. Just a 59% completion percentage and 39 touchdowns to 31 interceptions will worry some scouts, but with time to develop at the pro level could turnout to be a good starter

5. Nate Davis Ball State 6'2 218 - 60% completion percentage through 2 1/2 years as a starter and 7700 yards in the air along with 63 touchdowns to 19 interceptions will get Davis some serious looks at the next level

6. Tim Tebow Florida 6'3 238 - Tebow is more of a fullback then he is a quarterback and has a hitch is his deliver that might need a lot of work. with 49 touchdown passes to 9 ints Tebow on the surface seems to be able to read defenses but might need work at reading defenses at the next level.

7. Dan LeFevour Central Michigan 6'3 228  - LeFevour is a poor mans Tim Tebow with better passing ability with 1159 passing attempt and 754 completions in 2 1/2 years as the starter he has amassed 8302 yards through the air with 64 passing touchdowns to just 26 interceptions 65% completion percentage, he has the ability to gain yards on the ground as well with his legs with 2436 yards on 409 carries with an average of 5.95 yards per carry and 29 rushing touchdowns.

Receiver might be the most troubling area the team will have to upgrade with not much going to hit the open market the team might only be able to upgrade through the draft. With Clayton and Bryant being free to explore there options at seasons end and Galloway and Hilliard aging faster should the team decide to look to the draft it could be a receiver rich draft depending on redshirt sophomores and juniors declaring

1. Michael Crabtree 6'3 214 4.46 Texas Tech - Rare size and speed, great hands decent route runner could use some work, is elusive in the open field 194 receptions for 2756 yards and 36 touchdowns

2. Jeremy Maclin 6'1 200 4.37 Missouri -  Decent size, great speed versatile player can return kicks as well  138 receptions for 1855 yards and 16 touchdowns

3. Darrius Heyward Bey 6'2 206 4.48 Maryland - Big receiver with speed, decent hands need sto improve his route running 121 receptions for 1884 yards and 12 touchdowns

4. Percy Harvin 5'11 205 4.49 Florida - Explosive player that could help in a  number of different ways and is a home run threat waiting to happen, decent hands, good balance and vision 119 receptions for 1714 yards and 12 touchdowns while gaining 1451 yards on the ground n 155 carries and 12 touchdowns

5. Hakeem Nicks 6'1 210 4.50 North Carolina - Good route runner, uses body well to shield defenders, breaks tackles good hands 160 receptions for 2400 yards and 16 touchdowns

6. Jauquin Iglesias 6'0 204 4.40 Oklahoma -  Experienced route runner soft hands 172 receptions for 2457 yards with 14 touchdowns, can double as a kickoff return as he averaged 27 yards on 53 returns with one TD

Will break down a few positions every week if anyone cares to read them

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 30, 2008, 05:37:15 PM

Yucc,

IMO, none of the QB you mentioned are worth or may not be available in the first round.

The top 3 WR will be gone by the time we draft. The 4th one I have no interest in-had enough of FL receivers.

So there is nothing there for us.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

MBF

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 30, 2008, 05:41:05 PM

Ugh, not really digging any of the QB's on that list. The WRs on the other hand are all good players, but I just think that the FO will use DJax as the reason why they don't pick a guy like Maclin.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 30, 2008, 05:44:43 PM

Stan - Depending on who comes out early depending on where the Bucs draft a player could drop or it might be time for the Bucs to pony up and move up to get a player they covet rather then standing pat. Should all 13 of these plays declare early based on the chance there could a be a rookie cap put into effect following the 2009 season. that is just 13 which could mean some players will be there when the team is picking. out of the quarterbacks two players intrigue me and that is McCoy and LeFevour the receivers that I like or Maclin and Iglesias  

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

#4 : October 30, 2008, 05:47:58 PM

Any good left tackles by the time we draft?

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 30, 2008, 05:50:07 PM

This years tackle class could be deeper then last years depending on if some underclassman declare

Oliver Goldsmith

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 30, 2008, 05:57:38 PM

Here is a list of tackles that could enter this years draft as well as seniors

1. Michael Oher 6'5 320 Mississippi

2. Eugene Monroe 6'5 315 Virgina

3. Phil Loadholt 6'8 338 Oklahoma

4. Jason Smith 6'5 310 Baylor

5. Jamon Meredith 6'5 307 South Carolina

6. Alex Boone 6'7 312 Ohio State

7. Xavier Fulton  6'4 300 Illinois

8. Andre Smith 6'4 340 Alabama

9. Ciron Black 6'5 328 LSU

10. Sam Young 6'8 330 Notre Dame

All ten of these players could be in this years draft

Oliver Goldsmith

simmstheanswer

Starter

#7 : October 30, 2008, 06:03:10 PM

i doubt McCoy leaves early...

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 30, 2008, 06:11:55 PM

I doubt Sam Young will leave ND early. I would love to have Oher, but there's no way we'll have a shot at him.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 30, 2008, 06:13:18 PM

I like LeFevour as a sleeper QB

I love Crabtree, Harvin, or Maclin

I would love if Andre Smith fell to the Bucs in Round 1.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#10 : October 30, 2008, 06:14:35 PM

i doubt McCoy leaves early...

Doubt or hope? Wishing he doesn't leave, would probably be more like it. From Austin Texas is the give away.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 30, 2008, 06:20:08 PM

Here is the thing about a college player that could leave early for the riches of the NFL, when the owners opted out of the CBA, there has been some much talk of a rookie cap or a slotting system for rookies, should that actually happen considering more money then would go to players already in the NFL alot of these college prospects might fear that they could get far less or at worse get injured or have there stock drop which might cause a mass Exodus 

Oliver Goldsmith

k_bassuka

Starter

#12 : October 30, 2008, 06:49:33 PM

Why do we need to draft an OT in the 1st round for, I think our OL is the last thing we need to worry about this offseason. I don’t think we should trade up for a QB unless is a steal of a trade, if that’s the case I'll prefer trading our 1st for future picks.

I know a lot people want us to trade or sign a #1 receiver but I doubt any good #1 receiver in their prime will want to come here unless we find a good QB first, we have no other choice but to find a reliable one during FA or draft one.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 30, 2008, 06:52:30 PM

draft for D, sign FA for O

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 30, 2008, 06:58:54 PM

Look at who this mock draft has picking 32:

http://www.draft32.com/viewpage.php?page_id=140

Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looking ahead to the 2009 draft at quarterbacks and receivers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools