Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looking ahead to the 2009 draft at quarterbacks and receivers « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#135 : November 11, 2008, 08:45:36 PM

Yeah it seems like every year the draft is weak.

I actually like this draft, outside of the QB position.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#136 : November 12, 2008, 03:11:41 AM

I think the QB position is pretty strong, actually. Or at least, has the potential to be. You've got a shot at Bradford, Stafford, Freeman, McCoy, Davis, Sanchez, and some decent 3rd tier prospects. So likely top end talent and some depth. Probably better "prospects" than the past few years. Sure beats the hell out of the FA options too.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#137 : November 12, 2008, 07:28:19 AM

I think the QB position is pretty strong, actually. Or at least, has the potential to be. You've got a shot at Bradford, Stafford, Freeman, McCoy, Davis, Sanchez, and some decent 3rd tier prospects. So likely top end talent and some depth. Probably better "prospects" than the past few years. Sure beats the hell out of the FA options too.

what gives you the sense that McCoy (Colt) will be a "top end" NFL prospect?  and what QB is Davis, please help?

You must be accountable for your actions!

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#138 : November 12, 2008, 08:51:28 AM

Its gonna be hard for me to think Dexer will do anything. With his size you have to be really good (i.e Steve Smith) you can't be average.

2001: 10 Rec 154 Yards 0 TD's
2002: 54 Rec 872 Yards 3 TD's

Would you think that after the 2001 and 2002 seasons this 3rd round receiver would be an 85 catch, 1100 yard, 9 TD guy?

2001: 34 PR 364 Yards 1 TD; 56 KR 1431 yards 2 td (2nd in the league in AP yards)
2002: 55 PR 470 Yards 2 TD; 26 KR 571 yards 0 td (4th in the league in AP yards)

Normally, I don't put a lot of stock into all-purpose yards, but at least Smith was doing SOMETHING that would suggest that he belonged in the league. His return average were actually pretty underwhelming in 2002, but all-in-all, it's still quite a bit more than the team is getting out of Jackson. I'm not completely ready to write him off. We always knew he was mighty raw. But it's hard to look at what he's shown and have any sort of excitement.

Smith is TOUGH...guy goes and gets the ball wherever it's at...Dexter is more in the Galloway mold...total speed receiver -- hopefully...

If you can, remember BACK to 2001 and tell me what it was that gave you that impression... THEN, not now.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#139 : November 12, 2008, 10:07:29 AM

If you can, remember BACK to 2001 and tell me what it was that gave you that impression... THEN, not now.

Didn't run backwards on punts...didn't do everything possible to avoid contact...etc...

Remember back to four weeks ago and tell me what gives you the impression that Dexter is going to turn out like Steve Smith...

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#140 : November 12, 2008, 10:58:37 AM

Didn't run backwards on punts...didn't do everything possible to avoid contact...etc...

Remember back to four weeks ago and tell me what gives you the impression that Dexter is going to turn out like Steve Smith...

I never said Jackson was going to turn into Smith.  YOU made the reference.  I'm just saying that if the Carolina pulled the trigger on Smith as quickly as you are with Jackson, there's a good chance that Steve Smith is stocking shelves right now instead of a potential H.O.Fer.

John Elway got pulled because he couldn't read defenses, make the right decisions, or hit receivers in stride... things that even BAD QB's can do, and he managed to learn.

(How long before someone thinks I'm saying that Jackson will be one of the greatest WR's of all time? :))

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#141 : November 12, 2008, 11:09:14 AM

I never said Jackson was going to turn into Smith.  YOU made the reference.  I'm just saying that if the Carolina pulled the trigger on Smith as quickly as you are with Jackson, there's a good chance that Steve Smith is stocking shelves right now instead of a potential H.O.Fer.

John Elway got pulled because he couldn't read defenses, make the right decisions, or hit receivers in stride... things that even BAD QB's can do, and he managed to learn.

(How long before someone thinks I'm saying that Jackson will be one of the greatest WR's of all time? :))

Not long...yeah, using Elway and Steve Smith in your Dexter Jackson argument is probably not a good idea...

I'm really not sure what we're talking about now...Smith played with a chip on his shoulder from the moment he got in the league...that's where a lot of his toughness comes from...D. Jackson went from a I-AA school to a 2nd-round pick so he doesn't have that chip -- in fact, unfortunately it seems like he's got the opposite problem -- he was "looking out for his career" the moment he stepped on the field...

Not good...

I'm not giving up on him...but the comparison to Steve Smith is a bad one...and those stats in '02 for Smith were pretty good -- clearly headed in the right direction...
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looking ahead to the 2009 draft at quarterbacks and receivers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools