Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looking ahead to the 2009 draft at quarterbacks and receivers « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

k_bassuka

Starter

#30 : October 31, 2008, 10:39:11 AM

If we draft 3 WR, this means that Galloway, Ike, Bryant and Clayton are gone next year and if that the case I hope we sign experienced receivers instead of having a lineup of untested ones
Stovall
Dextra
Clark
Maclin
Mitchell
Tate

I don't like it, can't coach them, can't win with them, CAN'T DO IT. ;D

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#31 : October 31, 2008, 11:36:57 AM

If the team did draft 3 receivers it would mean players like Stovall, Ike and Jackson would have to step up or move out a player like Bryant might be resigned as well as Clayton it is about forcing competition and players stepping up

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#32 : October 31, 2008, 11:45:36 AM

Give me a WR please.

I love our LT situation so I feel absolutely no need to add a LT in the first round. In reality this is the perfect draft to see who falls at OT to the mid rounds, if we can pick up a good one we could have the same situation we had with Zuttah this year, drafting a versatile backup.

Out of these WR's I think Bey will end up being a great playmaker. He is a great mismatch and he can run anywhere on the field. He needs to work on concentration and the little things like running routes and making easy catches every time, but he has "it". Crabtree will end up being good but is overvalued for what he is IMO. Maclin is going to be a stud IMO, but I think he will end up going higher than Crabtree.

And like everyone else has said, these QB's are not impressive. Unless we can land Stafford or Bradford, we might as well not even bother with a QB in the 1st three rounds or so. I think Josh Johnson is still a very nice option for the future, we just need to work on getting someone in FA who can be a filler for another year, unless JJ is ready to go earlier than most expect.

k_bassuka

Starter

#33 : October 31, 2008, 01:16:39 PM

yucc
I understand your point about creating competition, but with that many players (Galloway, Stovall, Ike, Bryant, Ms Jackson, Clayton, Maclin, Mitchell, Tate) there’s not going to be enough reps for each one to really find out which players are worth keeping, we might end up releasing good players just because we have too many and that’s the worst thing it can happen to a team wasting draft picks, yes you could trade some of them but if I was the other team GM I wouldn't trade for a player that I know its going to be released.

The beautiful thing for us on this draft is that I believe we are going to pick the best available player (I hope we get a really good one), we need QB, WR, OL, DL, and DB help but we do have working pieces there, so we don’t have to overvalue players just because.

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#34 : October 31, 2008, 01:55:27 PM

Nice job yucc. I like Bradford and Nicks. I am not sure if Bradford will come out early though. I trust Bruce and Jon will not give up on D.Jackson just yet. It also remains to be seen as to who we will resign and if Bruce will actually spend some of league leading cap room or keep holding onto it. We always need playmakers but so does the rest of the league and they are only so many to go around. To be able to get atleast 2 of the players you have posted so far would be great. It just seems to me that we always hit or miss on one of the first 2 rounders we draft each year. Each draft it seems like we add just 3 good solid players and the rest is cannon fodder and in free agency we just kind of fill in a blank or two. Where are the Tiger Woods types Bruce promised? It has to eventually add up to greatness right? Oh well it is nice to hope anyway.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 31, 2008, 01:56:45 PM

I'm not digging any of those QBs.

Didn't Colt already say he was going to stay, not that it really means anything?

At this point I'm sticking with Raji!   BC Represent!

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#36 : October 31, 2008, 02:07:34 PM

Yes I do belive McCoy said he was coming back about 2 or 3 weeks ago I heard the interview with Dan Patrick. It was after the Oklahoma game. I still would not want him because I feel like Texas qb's are cursed or something. They are great in college and turn into to crap in the pros. Maybe it is in the water down there. Lol.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#37 : October 31, 2008, 02:11:01 PM

I doubt Sam Young will leave ND early. I would love to have Oher, but there's no way we'll have a shot at him.

The DT from Ol Miss, Jerry, would be nice, and he could well be there.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 31, 2008, 02:11:23 PM

It's hard to project a lot of these guys into the NFL if they're busy running spread and read options.  

You almost just want to look at if they can stand in the pocket and take a hit, and if they're head is on straight.  This is of course after you've eliminated eveyone who can't pass the ball.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#39 : October 31, 2008, 02:20:19 PM

I think arm strength is overrated. It is what kind guy they are above the shoulders that matters. That being said who doesn't want a guy with the smarts and a rocket arm. It just seems they are usually only 1 or maybe 2 per draft. Good luck in getting one. I can already seeing the Lions drafting one next year.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 31, 2008, 02:32:31 PM

I think arm strength is overrated. It is what kind guy they are above the shoulders that matters. That being said who doesn't want a guy with the smarts and a rocket arm. It just seems they are usually only 1 or maybe 2 per draft. Good luck in getting one. I can already seeing the Lions drafting one next year.

You got to have enough of an arm.  There are some minimum standards.  But the biggest cannon in the world is useless when you can't figure out where to aim it.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#41 : October 31, 2008, 02:38:00 PM

You got to have enough of an arm. There are some minimum standards. But the biggest cannon in the world is useless when you can't figure out where to aim it.
See Byron Leftwich.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 31, 2008, 02:48:11 PM

Oh man, I was hopeful for that guy as well. Part of his issue was also how long it took to load the cannon so to speak.

That all said, I'm think I"m in full agreement with jsumn, sorting out what's in QB prospects' heads seems to be the most important thing.   College you can get away with just having great measurables. You can hid a lot of short comings in college, no so much in the pros. 

As with any high draft pick, you have to worry about what the money might do to them.  It's a tough job no doubt.  You have to take some risks.

The thing I see fans making a mistake on all the time is the ablility of a QB to run for yards.  That I'd say is the most common issue.  Second, is they see some highlights or just remember the highlights when it's really about consistency. That guy doesn't need to be able to make the big pass once, he needs to make all the smaller ones consistently, then be able to pop the cork ever so often.

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#43 : October 31, 2008, 02:49:46 PM

Amen Rowdie.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#44 : October 31, 2008, 02:56:26 PM

Well, outside of Bradford and maybe even Stafford, this QB class is very lackluster.

I would rather add Alex Smith and work with him or even try out Losman. You get guys that were 1st round talents, don't waste the pick, and get them cheaper. Ofcourse they do have their flaws, though I don't think anyone could win with that SF team that Alex has had.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looking ahead to the 2009 draft at quarterbacks and receivers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools