Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Contrast from JFK to Sarah Palin « previous next »
Page: 1 2

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 31, 2008, 04:44:51 PM

Obama's experience in politics... 3 years in the Senate, a lawyer, and a community organizer.
Palin's experience in politics...served as Mayor of a city. And governor of a state for 2 years with a 70% approval rating.

Remember that Ronald Reagan, FDR, Teddy Roosevelt, Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush....all were only governors before becoming president and had absolutely no foreign policy experience.

Remember also that Harry Truman never went to college.

So Im not quite sure what you consider to be "qualified" to be the president. The constitution just says that you must be a citizen, over 35 years of age, and have lived in the US for the past 7 years. After that, the founding fathers believed it is up to the people to decide what would be considered qualified. And we've had presidents that never went to college, to military generals, to lawyers, to businessmen...

In the past, you can be confident that the people around the president are the best minds out there for each field. Like the defense secretary would be the most knowledgeable person when it comes to military, defense, and foreign policy. Your secretary of state would be your best diplomacy expery. Your treasury secretary would be the best economist. and etc, etc... The problem is recently such positions have become used as rewards. The newly-elected president puts people in those positions not because they are the best people for the jobs, but those people helped get the president elected.

The biggest difference between Obama and Palin is executive experience. Obama has never run anything other than his political campaign. He's never run a city, a state, or even a business. He's never been directly in charge of anything while Palin has.

That's natural born citizen.

Obama was at the top of his class at Harvard. That is an achievement a person can only get through intelligence and hard work. He earned it just like he has earned everything throughout his life. He beat the odds on his own merit. We've had eight years now with a C student running the country and the world is fed up with it. We need a man who can communicate and has some sense of right and wrong. We need someone who commands respect. Another old white guy is not the way to go. We need to elect an intelligent young black man named Obama to show the world we are not a nation of morons. Bush was a huge mistake. We need to correct it, not prolong it.
BTW, I am an old white guy and I've seen enough BS from OWGs to recognize it on sight. We need a real change. Obama is our only chance.

As for Palin, McCain really blew it when he picked her. The woman didn't even know the job description she's been running for. I suspect Alaska is the only state that would elect her to anything. Her husband wanted Alaska to become an independent nation. What was her position on that? Let's keep Tina Fey on 30 Rock and off SNL. I'm tired of the jokes about our leadership. McCain and Palin are a comedian's dream team. I can remember when America was admired and respected. I want to see that happen again in my lifetime.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Contrast from JFK to Sarah Palin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools