Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official Tampa Bay Rays Offseason Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 64

: October 31, 2008, 07:31:03 PM

All offseason Ray's discussion here. Links, rumors, discussion, all is welcome just no senseless bashing! (dont expect any this offseason ;))

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 31, 2008, 07:31:52 PM

Well if the 2009 season is half as entertaining as the 2008 season it should be an enjoyable ride.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#2 : October 31, 2008, 09:57:27 PM

Should be interesting to see the moves of the FO now.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#3 : October 31, 2008, 10:31:43 PM

My Favorite FA options (non pitching):
Also, mostly bigger names.
Not in any order really.

Milton Bradley - While he may have had attitude problems frequently in his career last year he was a dynamic player for the Rangers and would be just the big time bat we could use in RF. Last year an injury kept him out of the field for the majority of the season, but even as a DH he would be a great addition. Oh yeah and he destroys LHP, which we definitely need some of.
.321 22 HR 77RBI

Adam Dunn - 5 straight season's of 40+ HRs........ Let it sink in a little bit.... I know his average sucks, but he still has a Career OBP of .381, even with his career AVG of .247. The guy is a scary prescence in the middle of a lineup, and demands respect on every pitch, because every time his bat touches the ball it has a great chance of heading out of the stadium. I would definitely like the idea of having Dunn here as a DH and adding a Bat in RF.

Manny - hahahaha. Oh how sweet would that be.

Mark Teixeira - That would be one helluva bat to add to this lineup at DH. I don't however see him being a possibility at all. I see him ending up in NY, or staying put in LAA.

Casey Blake - I would love to have Blake here as a bit of a utility guy, maybe a RF, or even possibly a DH every now and then. I really like what he brings to the table with his versatility.

Mike Cameron - Always liked the guy, quality player IMO.

Ofcourse those are just some of the names that jumped off the list and caught my attention. Haven't really taken the time to look into anything or even consider some other guys. Right now though, I would say my two favorite possible signings would be Milton Bradley and Adam Dunn.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 01, 2008, 01:00:06 AM

They need to keep the winning attitude going into next year. Otherwise all the gains they made in the fan base will disappear real quick. Look what happened to the Marlins.

#5 : November 01, 2008, 05:53:03 AM

Milton Bradley in RF/DH?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ben_reiter/10/30/reiter.top.freeagents/index.html?eref=T1

Emotional and injury-prone, and most likely mainly a DH at age 30, but when he plays, he hits (.999 OPS in '08). Rays not inclined to sign or retain players who might become distractions (Barry Bonds, Delmon Young), but Bradley could be worth the risk, especially considering their lack of production from rightfield.

Baldelli back? I hope so...

Admirably dealt with his mitochondrial disease in the post-season, but the energy-sapping disorder makes him necessarily a part-time player. Even so, was the best of the Rays' rightfield options down the stretch, and would be a fine reserve going forward.

It was on the paper today Baldelli saying he wants to come back

#6 : November 01, 2008, 05:57:10 AM

ts Im with you on Milton Bradley. Ive always loved the guy. I think he is so much different than an Elijah Dukes, but thats who the comparisons would be drawn towards. Fact is, Milton Bradley is not a sociopath (Dukes is), and Bradley has been loved in every locker room hes ever played in. Plus he's a helluva player and EXACTLY what we need, when healthy

If we ONLY added Bradley on offense this offseason, we would be set for our lineup. It would be one of the best in the league as well. Bradley is also a) relatively cheap and b) not going to garner a long term investment. It makes sense on many levels to sign him

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 01, 2008, 11:15:38 AM

Just off the top of my head with very little (almost none actually) research:

MB - like him myself, but injuries and attitude are a concern.  He'll also be pursued by the high rollers I'd think.  not happening

Dunn - big HRs, big K's.  An ideal DH candidate in my book.  Probably won't happen, but not out of the question

Manny - no chance

Texeira - no chance.  I'd be surpirsed if he doesn't reup with the Angels.  He's too good a 1B to be a DH also

Blake -- I've been banging for him since before last year's trade deadline.  Good bat, versatile, seems like a decent clubhouse guy, and not overly costly.  He'll be pursued by many for these reasons though

Cameron - not happening.  I'm thinking he'll be playing in the Bronx next year.

I think we'll be more inclined to take the next tier type guys.  If we get a bigger name, I'd expect him to come via trade.  Here's to a Kazmir for Holliday deal (or some package of youngsters). 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 01, 2008, 11:16:51 AM

All offseason Ray's discussion here.

I heard a rumor we may trade Upton for Kelly Shoppach.   ;D ;)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 24, 2009, 10:24:39 AM

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3930008&name=olney_buster&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3930008%26name%3dolney_buster

Watched the very end of Jason Isringhausen's bullpen session on Monday, and he looked good, demonstrating some pop, putting the ball on the corners. The Rays have a lot of different bullpen options, a lot of guys who can close games, and Izzy appears to be one of the options.

Another article on Izzy:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article978570.ece

Also says Howell will be on Team USA and Longoria will not.

Article on Beckham:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article978588.ece

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#10 : November 01, 2008, 08:20:06 PM

Hinkse joins Rocco in free agency.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081101&content_id=3660157&vkey=news_tb&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#11 : November 01, 2008, 08:35:31 PM

Do we possibly add a veteran starting pitcher in the offseason?
If so these are some of the names catching my eye.

Ryan Dempster - He had a pretty good year as a starter and was often the Cubs best pitcher. He could also be used in the bull pen too if needed. Like him, but don't love him.

Jon Garland - Pretty good pitcher, higher ERA than I would like, but would be a pretty good 5th pitcher for us. I see him re upping though or ending up in the bronx as they try to redo that rotation.

Derek Lowe - I love Derek Lowe, if we added a vet, he could be an ideal fit. He is a very good pitcher to add to a young staff and is a great pitcher to have in October. If we added a vet pitcher, I would like it to be him probably.

AJ Burnett - I wish... IMO he heads to the yanks, I don't see it any other way.

Brad Penny - Dunno if LAD will excercise their option, but if they don't I wouldn't mind adding Penny. He had a very down year, but what was it, the year before he was starting in the all star game? Wouldn't be a bad pick up at all, and may not break the bank with his bad season.

I don't see us adding a starting pitcher, but I also won't rule it out if we can get the right vet for the right price.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 01, 2008, 08:40:03 PM

Hinkse joins Rocco in free agency.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081101&content_id=3660157&vkey=news_tb&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

I wish Hinske the best.

He had a great year for a Spring Training player.   I hope gets paid somewhere that he can play more.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 01, 2008, 08:44:08 PM

Do we possibly add a veteran starting pitcher in the offseason?
If so these are some of the names catching my eye.

Ryan Dempster - He had a pretty good year as a starter and was often the Cubs best pitcher. He could also be used in the bull pen too if needed. Like him, but don't love him.

Jon Garland - Pretty good pitcher, higher ERA than I would like, but would be a pretty good 5th pitcher for us. I see him re upping though or ending up in the bronx as they try to redo that rotation.

Derek Lowe - I love Derek Lowe, if we added a vet, he could be an ideal fit. He is a very good pitcher to add to a young staff and is a great pitcher to have in October. If we added a vet pitcher, I would like it to be him probably.

AJ Burnett - I wish... IMO he heads to the yanks, I don't see it any other way.

Brad Penny - Dunno if LAD will excercise their option, but if they don't I wouldn't mind adding Penny. He had a very down year, but what was it, the year before he was starting in the all star game? Wouldn't be a bad pick up at all, and may not break the bank with his bad season.

I don't see us adding a starting pitcher, but I also won't rule it out if we can get the right vet for the right price.

No Chance

No Chance

No Chance

No Chance

No Chance

Seriously, I highly doubt it.  We are loaded with young SP that now has a great year of experience under their belt.  We have other priorities if we are going to spend money in FA.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#14 : November 01, 2008, 09:02:46 PM

Hence why I said the last part....

Either way, I'm bored and cannot stop thinking about the offseason, so I figured what the hell.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 64
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official Tampa Bay Rays Offseason Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools