Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official Tampa Bay Rays Offseason Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 64

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 01, 2008, 09:19:40 PM

Why would you guys even want to take a chance on Manny "girlhair" Ramirez?

A team as young as the rays, the last thing they need is a selfish jerk like Manny to screw things up...  Way too much drama if you ask me.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#16 : November 01, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

One thing I think we will add is a closer, and maybe even another middle reliever.

Chad Cordero - Dunno anything about what happened up in D.C., dunno if it was injuries or what, but in 07 the guy was a solid closer, and he is only 27.

Brian Fuentes - Many wanted to trade for him, and signing him could definitely be an option. Not sure how much I would be willing to give, but the guy could definitely be a solid arm for us late in games.

Eric Gagne - Not sure if I would want him or not... He at this time is unfortunately, not even a shadow of what he once was.

Salomon Torres - Not sure about Torres, but should he be let out on the market he could be a decent cheaper option for a year or so.

Brandon Lyon - Don't know a thing about him, outside of his stats.

Trevor Hoffman - Great all time pitcher, but at this stage I question whether or not he could do it in the AL.

K-Rod - Say that wouldn't be sick... too bad it has about as much chance of happening as the Bucs trading for Peyton Manning.

Kerry Wood - I have always loved Wood, and I love him as a closer... I see him heading back to Chicago, but if he didn't I wouldn't mind atleast looking at him closely.

I'll look at the middle relievers later.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#17 : November 01, 2008, 09:22:03 PM

Why would you guys even want to take a chance on Manny "girlhair" Ramirez?

A team as young as the rays, the last thing they need is a selfish jerk like Manny to screw things up... Way too much drama if you ask me.

It would never happen, period, so really it doesn't even matter.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 01, 2008, 09:24:37 PM

Torres faded in the last month of the season, the guy was a circus act every time he took the mound...

I don't want him back as a brewer, and believe me, you shouldn't want him either.

Gagne on the other hand finished the season strong.  He won't be back in a brewer uniform, but at a decent price, I'd like to have him back.  I'm curious to see how much money he gets next season, my guess would be 3 million, maybe a 2 year contract for 5-6 million will get him.  You are right though, he is nothing like he was in his glory days.  Average at best.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#19 : November 01, 2008, 09:27:08 PM

I wouldn't mind giving Brandon Lyon a look...

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#20 : November 01, 2008, 09:29:26 PM

Torres faded in the last month of the season, the guy was a circus act every time he took the mound...

I don't want him back as a brewer, and believe me, you shouldn't want him either.

Gagne on the other hand finished the season strong.  He won't be back in a brewer uniform, but at a decent price, I'd like to have him back.  I'm curious to see how much money he gets next season, my guess would be 3 million, maybe a 2 year contract for 5-6 million will get him.  You are right though, he is nothing like he was in his glory days.  Average at best.
Didn't know that about Torres, thanks for the info.

Yeah it's sad to see what has happened to Gagne, it's amazing how fast and how far people fall. BTW, good luck on working on your starting rotation....

#21 : November 01, 2008, 09:32:53 PM

AJ Burnett - I wish... IMO he heads to the yanks, I don't see it any other way.

That would be the worst free agent signing imaginable. That has DANGER written all ove rit. He is going to get over 10 mil a year, easily. He is going to get atleast a 4 year deal because of his age and performance last year. And he is probably going to be hurt/inconsistent for atleast half of that contract.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#22 : November 01, 2008, 09:34:24 PM

What do you know about Lyon? I know absolutely nothing outside of what the stats tell.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#23 : November 01, 2008, 09:41:01 PM

What do you know about Lyon? I know absolutely nothing outside of what the stats tell.

Low to mid-nineties fastball, big curve, decent slider and change-up.  Lyon started as Arizona's closer this year, but lost the job after struggling somewhat.

I also know he was one of the players involved in the Curt Schilling trade to Boston.

I think he might be worth a shot.

#24 : November 01, 2008, 09:45:27 PM

I really cant see us adding a SP...

Price

Kazmir

Shields

Garza

barring a freak offseason injury these are our top 4 starters, and relaly hwo can you ask for more out of a 1-4?

If we sign a veteran pitcher, or even a young starting pitcher, I dont see where it is beneficial looking at our current roster. You have 2 guys who each threw 180+ of quality bottom of the rotation innings last year who could be fighting it out fo rthe #5 spot in Jackson and Sonny. I could argue that both of them have enough experience and innings under their belt to be considered reliable for 150-180 solid innings as #5s. Thats all yo ureally wnat out of a #5 is someone who will give you 150+ innings. If they give you 180-200 then that is a luxury and I think both SOnny and Jackson can do it

Other options that I see as real possibilities is trading Jackson and moving Sonnanstine to the bullpen. SOme will argue that SOnny shouldnt go to the bullpen as that is a place for FAILED SPs. I dont disagree with that, but I look at it like SOnny is good as a starter and will be great as a Howell type righty reliever who can come in almos tany situation and pitch mulitple great innings in a game.

So if we move both Jackson and SOnny out of our rotation, I would personally rather hand the spot to Jeff Niemann, Wade Davis, or Mitch Talbot. IMO, Niemann could be better than bboth Jackson and Sonny next year. Davis it may be a little premature for, he may take his spot in the rotation sometime around midseason but I dont think winning a spot out of ST is out of the question. Talbot also has a great chance to make the team if not starting than as a reliever.

The only way I see us signing a SP is if Jackson is traded, Sonny move sto the bullpen, and we determine Niemann and Talbot arent destined for our rotation. Even then, I dont think Dempster, Burnett, Penny or Lowe fit the bill as an affordable 5th starter. Garland is a possibility but I dont know what his pricetag will be, he may ask for too much

#25 : November 01, 2008, 09:53:26 PM

Chad Cordero- one of the better options for us. sign him to an incentive laden contract it would work finanically

Brian Fuentes- I like him a lot, but we would have ot lose next years 1st round pick if we sign him. Im not against it one bit

Eric Gagne- He would be worth a low $$ looksy

Salomon Torres- meh, no thanks. He was very hit or miss in Pitt, and same way in brew town. He is no better than Al Reyes IMO, but wouldnt be a terrible guy to give a look at in spring training if he came cheap

Brandon Lyon- probably like him more than almost any of these guys.

Trevor Hoffman- nah, Im not sure how much bette rhe is than Percival anymore and we're already stucl on the hook for another 4-5 mil we have to pay Percy next year

K-ROd- his stuff isnt what it once was, his numbers are down despite the save record. No matter, Detroit or NY will sign him for 15 mil per year

Kerry WOod- That would be awesome

We definitely are in the market for 1 good RP

#26 : November 01, 2008, 10:03:06 PM

my realistic ideal offseason, version 1.0-

Sign Milton Bradley for 3 years 28 mil.

Sign Chad Cordero 3 year 7-8 mil

Sign Rocco Baldelli for cheap

Cut Gabe Gross (between Gross, Perez and Baldelli we have to let 1 go, I choose Gross)

Let Hinske walk

Trade Edwin Jackson for a young DH or OF with power

Move Sonnanstine to bullpen

Move Niemann to rotation

1- Aki 2B
2- CC LF
3- Upton CF
4- Pena 1B
5- Longo 3B
6- Bradley RF/DH
7- Navi C
8- Perez/Baldelli RF/DH
9- Bartlett SS

Bench- Riggans C, Aybar 1B/2B/3B, Zobrist super utility, Perez OF

1- Shields RH
2- Kazmir LH
3- Garza RH
4- Price LH
5- Niemann RH

bullpen-

long relief- Talbot
mid relief- Sonnanstine
mid relief- Howell
mid relief- Cordero
mid relief- Miller
setup- Wheeler
Closer- Balfour

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#27 : November 01, 2008, 10:09:28 PM

I agree that signing a SP is very very slim, and we are definitely better off just staying put with Kaz - Shields - Garza - Price - Sonny. I just felt like looking at them anyway.

I see Sonny ending up starting, but should he have a down start to next year, I see us moving Davis up. I would love to see Davis win a spot right out of ST, but like you said, it may be a little premature for him. If he did however win the spot, I think Sonny and Jackson could both add quite a bit to our pen.

I hope we sign a closer, even if it is just for a year or two type guy, that will atleast give Jake McGee time to heal up a little better and hopefully get back into the flow. I see him being a great fit at the end of the BP.

Right now... I don't see a closer on this team. I like Balfour, but I'm not sure about him being a consistent pitcher for another year, I just think if we do go with him, we better have another option ready and waiting.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#28 : November 01, 2008, 10:21:24 PM

I wouldn't mind Reid Brignac maybe getting the nod at 2nd base this year :)

I still have faith in Reid, I think he can be a very good second baseman, and I don't think we will lose anything defensively.

My only question with the swap out of Aki and in with Reid would be who becomes the full time leadoff man?

I would guess Crawford, though he has struggled in that roll. BJ could also be a good fit at leadoff, however you waste some good power and RBI potential. It could work out like Soriano hitting leadoff. If you added another big bat in RF it would help a lot more though.

How many will bash me for wanting Aki out, and Reid in? :)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#29 : November 01, 2008, 10:25:25 PM

How many will bash me for wanting Aki out, and Reid in? :)

1    ;)          

I like what Aki has done at second base, he's just not an ideal lead-off hitter.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 64
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official Tampa Bay Rays Offseason Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools