Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official Tampa Bay Rays Offseason Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 64

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#30 : November 01, 2008, 10:35:08 PM

How many will bash me for wanting Aki out, and Reid in? :)

1 ;)         

I like what Aki has done at second base, he's just not an ideal lead-off hitter.
Not really to hate on what he has done at 2nd base, but I think Reid could very well end up being a fixture at 2nd for a long time, and could really add some offense.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#31 : November 01, 2008, 10:37:05 PM

I'm not convinced Brignac is going to be able to hit at the major league level.  Anther reason I was pissed we weren't willing to unload him and Niemann for Bay, allegedly.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#32 : November 01, 2008, 10:41:13 PM

I'm not convinced Brignac is going to be able to hit at the major league level. Anther reason I was pissed we weren't willing to unload him and Niemann for Bay, allegedly.
I'm confident even with his recent struggles, that he will become a good ML hitter. I'm not saying he will be a Pedroia type hitter, but a pretty good hitter none the less from 2nd base.

Also, some food for thought, who would you rather have playing everyday in RF? Willy Aybar or Perez?

I think it would be very good for Willy to learn RF and start out there, last year when he got consistant at bats he was a very valuable bat in our lineup. If we can't add a good bat in RF, then I would definitely want either Willy or Perez out there everyday.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#33 : November 01, 2008, 10:45:29 PM

I would definitely rather have Perez's speed in the OF.  I think he will be fine at the plate...bunting, slap hitting, and he showed some power this year.  He is a big-time weapon on the bases.

I agree that Willy should learn to play the OF to help his utility status.

Defensively, Zobrist looked great in the OF, too.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#34 : November 01, 2008, 10:53:55 PM

I believe if Perez ends up starting in RF, we have our lead off man atleast. Kid could be a big wild card. Definitely wouldn't mind signing Milton Bradley and DHing him full time with Perez + BJ + Crawford patroling the outfield.

Perez
Crawford
BJ
Pena
Longoria
Bradley
Navvy
Aki / Brignac ;)
Barlett

Thats a scary lineup... all that speed and all that power.

#35 : November 02, 2008, 01:28:22 AM

Brignac, as much as I like him, posted a .299 OBP and .250 AVG in AAA this year. In a full year at AA he hit .260 with a sub .330 OBP. Hopefully he is just in a funk and will once again produce like he did in high A when he had 20+ 2B, 20+ HR, and a .900+ OPS. Fact is, Brignac will be 23 at the start of next season and hasnt put up good minor league #s since he was 19. I stll hold out hope that this guy will be a very good middle infielder, even as soon as this year, but why on earth would you want to get rid of a guy like Aki? He is a vacuum at 2B, is like a magician around the bag, is one of our smartest players, has good speed and since hes got here has been one of our leading OBP guys. Whats not to like? Also, he comes at a bargain at his salary.

Again, Im pulling for Brignac to rebound the way BJ did when he went into his 2 year funk in the  minors, but I wouldnt understand why you would want to see Aki not playing 162 games at 2B next year. In a perfect world, Aki would stabilize the position for 3-4 more years and Brignac would take over for many years to come after that all the while stealing time from both Bartlett and Aki when they are hurt, need rest, etc.

Also, it is hard to project Fernando Perez as anything more than a guy who will have a .330 OBP or somewhere in that area, at best, as a rookie. I dont think you could expect a player as raw offensively as Fernando to take over as a leadoff man out of Spring Training. It would be nice if he puts his game together, he is a smart guy so anything is possible I  guess. Aki isnt the best leadoff hitter, but he sees a lot of pitches and always has a good, consistent approach every AB. He is a tough out, and gets on base more than most guys on our team, and has decent speed as well. Not the worst guy to have at leadoff, but I agree not the prototype either

#36 : November 02, 2008, 02:27:58 AM

Shields signed a longterm contract 6 months ago that he was thrilled to sign and will give him plenty of financial security no matter what happens in his baseball career from here on out. Next year he makes around 3 mil I believe, and after thhat he goes up to 6-7 mil.

Pena was in his ARB years and both sides benefited form him signing a 3 year 20 mil contract. We got the opportunity to lock him up at atime when he would come relatively cheap, and he was able to secure a nice sized contract with no risk if he reverts back to his old form and it also allows him to become a FA again in 2010. Win WIN for both caamps

This is how baseball works. Navarro is only 23. Pena is almost 30. Navarro is still playing on a  rookie contract. The collective bargaining agreement is doing its job, and the players know that in the longrun MLB salaries are the best in any pro sport in the world. So their is nothing for them to be mad at thier union about.

It is likely that Navarro gets rewarded within short time. He is very young still and going through the same process Pena went thorough as well as Crawford and Baldelli and Upton and every young star player has gone through. You play out your rookie contract, go into arbitration, and eventually get a longterm deal when your close to FA.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#37 : November 02, 2008, 10:44:16 AM

How many will bash me for wanting Aki out, and Reid in? :)

1 ;)         

I like what Aki has done at second base, he's just not an ideal lead-off hitter.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#38 : November 02, 2008, 11:06:50 AM

Defensively, Zobrist looked great in the OF, too.

I think "great" is stretching it some, but he more than did the job.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#39 : November 02, 2008, 11:10:17 AM

I don't know...

He took great angles to the ball, cut-off balls in the corners, made good throws.  He's got some learning to do, but he looked much more comfortable when he was in the OF than he ever did at SS.

I'm not saying he's a gold-glover or anything, but he did pretty freakin' well out there.

benir0

Hall of Famer

#40 : November 02, 2008, 11:29:29 AM

I think we mainly need to get another big lefthanded bat/RF and a true closer.  The team is pretty complete, with a lot of youngster who should only improve.

#41 : November 03, 2008, 04:59:24 PM

I hear that Arizona is not going to resign Orlando Hudson, so theyir first priority will be trading for a 2B this offseason

In the rumor I heard, they will probably look to deal someone like Conor Jackson or Eryc Byrnes Byrnes plays great defense, and has the heart of someone like Jonny Gomes. Beforer some of you tell me that we dont need another speedy OF, dont forget Byrnes had over 20 HR in 2007 and most people didnt see that as anything he wouldnt be able to repeat. He has some power, more than Crawford and less than Upton. What do you guys think of Reid Brignac for Byrnes or Jackson?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#42 : November 03, 2008, 05:10:22 PM

What do you guys think of Reid Brignac for Byrnes or Jackson?

I wouldn't mind it.

Byrnes could definitely play RF.  Jackson would need a little work.  He just started playing LF last year.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#43 : November 03, 2008, 05:17:53 PM

IWhat do you guys think of Reid Brignac for Byrnes or Jackson?

Sounds like a pretty good deal for us.  I don't think Brignac has much of a future here (could change I suppose) and really wasn't overly impressed in his brief stint.   I'm not sure that the D'Backs would go for that, but maybe toss in a pitcher (Talbot?). 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#44 : November 03, 2008, 05:19:35 PM

Cameron staying in Milwaukee:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3680365
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 64
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official Tampa Bay Rays Offseason Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools