Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official Tampa Bay Rays Offseason Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 62 63 64

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#945 : February 25, 2009, 09:55:49 PM

We went through last year with two guys that couldn't go 5+.  It wouldn't be anymore taxing this year.  And are we really sure that Niemann or Hammel could go 5+ consistently.

Bullpen a ?  I thought we upgraded the bullpen significantly?  Rhonde?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#946 : February 25, 2009, 10:01:10 PM

We went through last year with two guys that couldn't go 5+.  It wouldn't be anymore taxing this year.  And are we really sure that Niemann or Hammel could go 5+ consistently.

Bullpen a ?  I thought we upgraded the bullpen significantly?  Rhonde?

So just because it is something that happened before, that means it is ok to happen again?

Not sure if they could, but I am positive if (sticking to the rule of thumb of 30) we want Price available in Sept., Price can't.

Not trying to fight or argue here, just discuss.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#947 : March 18, 2009, 01:09:35 PM

there is no good reason why we left him unprotected, but I have noticed that some seem to think its impossible to make a poor decision in the rule 5 draft.

We learned yesterday that the Milwaukee Brewers had seen enough of Rule 5 pick Eduardo Morlan and promply DFA'd him in favor of Wes Littleton.

"We didn't think he'd make our big-league club," said Melvin. "We like his arm but that's not our call right now," said Melvin.  --Journal Sentinel

The Brewers have already offered Morlan back to the Rays, who have a Thursday deadline to accept him back. If they choose to take him back, they would pay the Brewers $25,000 and probably assign him to a minor league camp immediately. If not the Brewers could try clear him on waivers and keep Morlan in their system. Or they could simply try and work out a trade like the Pirates did with Evan Meek in 2008.

#948 : March 19, 2009, 01:44:24 AM

whats your point?

Like I said, there was no reason to leave Morlan unprotected. We put Jae Kuk Ryu (a talentless hack with no future) on waivers only a couple weeks after the rule V draft. Why leave a talented, raw player like Mmorlan unprotected when you already know Ryu has no future on the 40 man roster

Again, olaf making no sense

I mean what were you trying to say? That since the Brewers were smart enough to take a free stab at a talented, raw, player and determined they wouldnt be able to keep him on their 25 man ML roster all season that it means it was any less of a poor decision making process to leave him unprotected in the first place? You make absolutely no sense, and you make it unclear whether you were actually addressing my post or just quoting it for no reason at all, by failing to draw a correlation between the Brewers releasing him and us leaving him unprotected. The  fact that someone took a chance on him in the first place, while we had empty 40 man spots, shows it was a poor move. Your failure to see that the brewers returning him back to us because they dont have the same privikige we had of keeping him on our 40 man roster, just shows how stupid you are

If the Reds wouldve determined that Hamilton just wasnt ready to make the jump from low A ball to MLB and hold a valuable 25 man roster spot (all of this was very likely at the time he was taken from us in the rule V draft, just as Morlan being returned was likely to happen), would it have made it any less dumb to leave Hamilton unprotected and allow for that possibility that he would never be returned again in the first place? Of course not.

The fact that you bumped a dead thread to make your "point" makes this even more funny. You actually went out of your way to keep this in your memory and "attempt to throw it back in my face" and once again you fail miserably. I wish you werent so stupid olaf, because then your sociopathic harrassment of internet strangers would be a little more worth my while
Page: 1 ... 62 63 64
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official Tampa Bay Rays Offseason Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools