Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Phillips is the Booger of the backfield « previous next »
Page: 1

shall555

Starter

: October 12, 2006, 11:47:37 AM

In light of the Bengals article about D-Jax. We've had to give up the Super Bowl MVP and John Lynch for an underachieving non-tackling turd.  Whose also been overpaid for his lack of ability. Another player paid for potential, instead of production. 2 INTs in 5 years and countless mis-tackles because he's flying through the air like Superman, trying to make the big hit. Isn't one of the cardinal rules of defending, not to leave your feet? It's the only way he tackles! I can't wait for this POS to be sh!tcanned with Booger this offseason. I've never believed the Phillips hype. He's the safety version of Tim Wansley. What a coincidence they were Georgia teammates! [banghead]

It's no wonder why our defense has been garbage this year. Two of the integral pieces of the Cover 2, the UT and SS are being manned by the talentless, overpaid Wonder twins. Neither could fill a shoe, for the guys they replaced. Phillips' cap hit probably prevented us from re-signing D-Jax.  [banghead]  [banghead]  [banghead]

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 12, 2006, 12:07:23 PM

Phillips has been solid at times and showed signs that he was ready to step up and take over for Lynch.  Phillips is not the reason why Dex is not here this year Allen is.  Phillips is not playing well right now but who on D is?  Rice has how many sacks, I know its less then White and White isn't even a starter.  Brooks has less tackles then Barber and Q isn't exactly playing strong this year.  It takes a team effort to be good and it also takes a team effort to be bad!

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#2 : October 12, 2006, 12:12:16 PM

I'm not sure where all this hate for Phillips is coming from. I guess it is because he is not John Lynch. I don't recall any plays that Phillips just whiffed on in the Saints game. Will Allen on the other hand looked very bad on both of McCallister's long runs. IMO Phillips play has been, for the most part, average, much like the play of the rest of the defense.

For the record, D-Jax played FS. He was replaced this year by Will Allen, not Phillips.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 12, 2006, 12:24:08 PM

Shalla your crazy man, hey kelly was dogged his firs few years in the league! Geez, Phillips is awful, the dude flat out sux.

Baghead #2

shall555

Starter

#4 : October 12, 2006, 12:31:53 PM

D-Jax played both SS and FS, because the safety position in Cover 2 is interchangeable. Phillips is garbage, plain and simple. Not average. The only play he's made all year was the big hit for a fumble in the Falcons game but made up for it, by getting roasted for big runs and biting on the play action for TD. If he was so great in the Saints game why was he yanked for nearly 2 quarters? Why is Pearson taking a more prominent role in the SS in practice and the upcoming game? It was Phillips who mistackled Deuce on one of his big runs and speared Rice in the abdomen, which forced him to the locker room in the first. He's our own worst enemy. You Phillips apologists sound just like Booger apologists. You'll be in denial, until his awful play can't be ignored...just like Booger. He doesn't have to be Lynch. He doesn't have to be D-Jax. He just has to be above average. Which he'll never be. He doesn't have the range, the tackling ability, or the instincts. The biggest weakness in the Cover 2 for the past 3 years has been the corner zone between Kelly and Phillips. It's been exploited again and again.  [banghead]

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 12, 2006, 12:33:12 PM

Dexter was let go becuase he was oft injured and Allen out played him and took his starting spot last year.  It looks like with every loss the IQ of Bucs fans drops several notches it seems.

shall555

Starter

#6 : October 12, 2006, 12:40:57 PM

How the hell could Allen outplay him when he was out for 8 games last year? Allen is even more injury prone. In fact, he's injured this year, as well, with a thumb fracture. D-Jax was one of the main reasons our defense dominated in 2002 and finished #1 last year. When you have stable play @ FS, the Cover 2 can really dominate in passing defense. Just look at when we had Damien Robinson manning the spot? We were burned repeatedly in 2000-2001, until D-Jax took over and provided a steady hand.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 12, 2006, 12:45:46 PM

How the hell could Allen outplay him when he was out for 8 games last year? Allen is even more injury prone. In fact, he's injured this year, as well, with his thumb fracture. D-Jax was one of the main reasons our defense dominated in 2002 and finished #1 last year. When you have stable play @ FS, the Cover 2 can really dominate in passing defense. Just look at when we had Damien Robinson manning the spot? We were burned repeatedly, until D-Jax became pretty good.

Did you watch any of the games last year?  8 games is half the season.   D - Jax was not a factor in the Bucs finishing #1 last year.  If you have not noticed the Bengals defense is not so good either with Dexter Jackson.  The Bucs still had a top ranked defense after Dexter left the Super Bowl year.

How about we stop blaming the safties for a change?  Simply put when the D-line fails to produce the pressure and stop the run the secondary and linebackers will look bad. 

Phillips was not the only one who had a bad game last week as Allen did too.  Both Allen and Phillips made good tackles near the goalline towards the end of the game if you want to hang your hat on something.  Maybe the benching was walk up call for both of these young safties???

shall555

Starter

#8 : October 12, 2006, 01:23:34 PM

What are you talking about?! Allen was the one out for 8 games last year! LOL. YOU weren't watching the games last year! LOL. When D-Jax left in 2004, our defense dropped to 5th.

D-Jax played 11 games last year and had 45 tackles, 4 passes defensed, a sack, and 1 int. Allen had 22 tackles and 2 ints. How did he outplay D-Jax? He didn't.

The Bengals defense dominated the first 2 games this year when D-Jax was in there. It was night and day without him. I was actually surprised by his fiery presence and leadership. They had a swagger when he was in there.

The safeties this year have been atrocious. Period. 8 men in the box on both Deuce runs and they both whiff.  Our safeties cannot run support. 8 men in the box does not give up 160+ yards a game rushing, unless the 8th man isn't doing his job. Phillips. I'm ripping into those guys, because they're the last line of defense. They have to be held to a higher standard, because they are the last line of defense.

I hope this is a wake up call. If Allen and Phillips could tackle and cover, I probably wouldn't be so livid, but they're garbage. Phillips still needs to see the door at the end of the year. He is overpaid for what he produces. He is mediocre and doesn't know how to break down tackle. He flies through the air every time. That is how he tackles. It may be good for a highlight video, once in a while, but that type of tackling is very ineffective, because he will face backs like Deuce and bounce off every time. Big hits don't make a player great and that's all he seems to be looking for.

Stop blaming the safeties for a change? Why? They don't get a free pass. The DL pressure is garbage, but that's no excuse for not producing when you're the 8th man in the box. The 8th man against the run is supposed to be a mismatch.
He's not getting blocked by OL. Neither Phillps or Allen are making the play when they're in the box, which is what they're paid to do.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 12, 2006, 03:03:33 PM

the main guy hurting our defense is Booger,if he puts pressure up the middle  every body does better.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 12, 2006, 03:11:52 PM

the main guy hurting our defense is Booger,if he puts pressure up the middle  every body does better.

BINGO.......you can pick any prize off the first two shelves.   ;)

gone

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 12, 2006, 03:14:47 PM

Dexter was let go becuase he was oft injured and Allen out played him and took his starting spot last year.  It looks like with every loss the IQ of Bucs fans drops several notches it seems.
Duh, wat dat meen?

#12 : October 12, 2006, 03:44:38 PM

Listening to Duemig...he's an ass...but...

He said that Jermaine Phillips has missed 21 tackles thus far this season...is that even POSSIBLE?  Jesus...if that's the case, get Pearson in there NOW.

shall555

Starter

#13 : October 12, 2006, 04:18:54 PM

'He said that Jermaine Phillips has missed 21 tackles thus far this season...is that even POSSIBLE?  Jesus...if that's the case, get Pearson in there NOW.'

HE'S MISSED 21 TACKLES?!?!? I REST MY CASE... ;D ;D ;D
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Phillips is the Booger of the backfield « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools