Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bama shouldn't be #1 « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#120 : December 02, 2008, 09:52:11 AM

ACC has a lot of average teams, no great teams and a couple poor teams.

SEC is 2 great teams, a few average teams, a few just below average, and a few poor

Big 12 has 2 great teams, 1 very good team, a few average, a few below average, a few poor

PAC 10 has 1 great team, a couple average, a couple below, rest poor

BIG 11 has 1 good team, a couple above average, couple decent, some poor

I'm not sure I'm with that through and through, but that's a good start for sure.

I haven't looked into what all the computers use to figure out conference rankings. The only one I've really researched is Sagarins. I can tell you I don't think much of his. He weights the middle teams the most.  This makes no sense to me. He also publishes an unweighted number which I like better, but honestly I want the top with the most weight.  Maybe as much as 4 or five times the bottom. Currenlty I think in a 12 team conference the middle teams are weighted 6 times what the extreme teams are weighted.

Sure those are not the elite teams of the b12 but those aren't the best teams in the ACC either. 

In the end I'm still giving b12 and sec the nod, and that has everything to do with, great teams make a great conference, I like weighing the top teams the most.  After that I'd have to go with the ACC.  I'm awfully su**CENSORED**ious that the PAC10 and B10 might be frauds.

Pac 10 still sporting that 1-5/6? record vs midmajor conference? 

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#121 : January 02, 2009, 06:01:45 PM

But if they are the 3rd best team in the SEC its a down year. Its not a slant against anyone or anything. Im sure you agree as well. This isnt a "typical" SEC year

No doubt, the SEC wasn't as advertised this year - too many young QB's.� The teams with experienced QB's did well, Alabama, Florida, Georgia (offense was great.)

Technically, Ole Miss is 4th in the SEC, Georgia is 3rd.� I would say what you said is a slant because it is based on their past teams, and not the current one.� Their 4 losses are by a combined 19 points.� They are a pretty good team.

I would bet on them in a game against any other conferences 3rd or 4th team.� Their defense would give Texas Tech's or Missouri's offense problems.

Id love to see them vs TT or Mizzou.

What did you think?

Down 14-0 to Texas Tech and come back to win 47-34.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#122 : January 02, 2009, 06:06:40 PM

But if they are the 3rd best team in the SEC its a down year. Its not a slant against anyone or anything. Im sure you agree as well. This isnt a "typical" SEC year

No doubt, the SEC wasn't as advertised this year - too many young QB's.� The teams with experienced QB's did well, Alabama, Florida, Georgia (offense was great.)

Technically, Ole Miss is 4th in the SEC, Georgia is 3rd.� I would say what you said is a slant because it is based on their past teams, and not the current one.� Their 4 losses are by a combined 19 points.� They are a pretty good team.

I would bet on them in a game against any other conferences 3rd or 4th team.� Their defense would give Texas Tech's or Missouri's offense problems.

Id love to see them vs TT or Mizzou.

What did you think?

Down 14-0 to Texas Tech and come back to win 47-34.

Ole Miss pretty much dominated TT.  It wasn't even as close as the final score.    TT scored 27 on offense, with 7 coming in garbage time when the game was over.  Great effort by Ole Miss and a helluva job by Nutt there his first year. 

Harrell didn't look so great with pressure in his face. 
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bama shouldn't be #1 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools