Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bama shouldn't be #1 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#30 : November 25, 2008, 05:00:36 PM

As much as it pains me, Florida pretty much has clear sailing to national title game. It'd be nice if, somehow, FSU can knock them off but not very likely...

I knew you wore Tim Tebow pajamas.

And make a point to wet the bed every time I wear them ....

LFO

Hall of Famer

#31 : November 25, 2008, 06:47:17 PM

As much as it pains me, Florida pretty much has clear sailing to national title game. It'd be nice if, somehow, FSU can knock them off but not very likely...

I don't know about clear sailing, but it looks likely IF they win the next 2.  They still do have some work to do in the computers, but that should take care of itself with the next 2 wins.  But, these computers are crazy as evidenced by UF being 7th is some of ones now.....

Really though if UF wins out I don't see why they shouldn't be in the game.  They'll have 1 loss, just like everyone else (BCS), and won their conference.  That is something USC and 2 of Texas/Oklahoma/Texas Tech likely won't be able to say.  To that end, I'd say why not have the 2 best conference champs play?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#32 : November 26, 2008, 08:31:18 AM

Weren't there Gator fans that thought UGA should have been in the BCS championship game last year over Ohio State?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : November 26, 2008, 08:41:22 AM

Weren't there Gator fans that thought UGA should have been in the BCS championship game last year over Ohio State?

probably, but they were wrong in their reasoning.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#34 : November 26, 2008, 08:44:10 AM

probably, but they were wrong in their reasoning.

Yep, but there were plenty of them and that didn't stop them from arguing the point.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#35 : November 26, 2008, 09:10:18 AM

Mainly because UGA was a far better team than OSU, not necessarily because they "deserved" it.

There were 2 or 3 other teams that should have been in that game over OSU last year.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#36 : November 26, 2008, 09:39:29 AM

here we go

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#37 : November 26, 2008, 09:41:20 AM

;)

That statement is supported by their pathetic showing in the National Championship game for the 2nd year in a row.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#38 : November 26, 2008, 09:45:47 AM

;)

That statement is supported by their pathetic showing in the National Championship game for the 2nd year in a row.

irrelevent ...  ;)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#39 : November 26, 2008, 09:57:12 AM

I don't see the irrelevance when stating that Georgia, USC, Kansas, Missouri, and probably even West Virginia were better than OSU last year.

People are finally realizing the only reason their record was what it was the last two years was because of how pathetic the Big 10 was, BCS conference or no BCS conference.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#40 : November 26, 2008, 10:08:48 AM

First off listing off those teams as being "better" than OSU is like saying the back up QB is better.  Everyone of those teams could easily have been waxed just as bad in the title game by an LSU team that was playing extremely well.

Secondly, it's irrelevent to this conversation because the argument was made by a Gator fan that the Gators should get in if they win the SEC over a team like Oklahoma or USC (presuming they do not win their conferences) because the Gators would be conference champions.

I agree with that.  If you don't win your conference you go to the back of the line (within reason of course; i.e same number of losses, reasonably overall similar performance.. We're not going to argue that Oregon State or Missouri deserve to be there).

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#41 : November 26, 2008, 10:39:52 AM

First off listing off those teams as being "better" than OSU is like saying the back up QB is better.  Everyone of those teams could easily have been waxed just as bad in the title game by an LSU team that was playing extremely well.

Agreed...but there were many who thought that OSU was supremely overrated before they got the crap kicked out of them.

Secondly, it's irrelevent to this conversation because the argument was made by a Gator fan that the Gators should get in if they win the SEC over a team like Oklahoma or USC (presuming they do not win their conferences) because the Gators would be conference champions.

I thought you were referring to irrelevance as related to my argument....my mistake.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#42 : November 26, 2008, 12:15:13 PM

I think about 6 teams should have been in over OSU. 

Really though, I don't think there were many Gator fans arguing FOR UGA to be in a MNC game....

Perhaps some thought they were a better team than OSU (along with a host of other teams) but I don't think anyone was fighting for them to be in a title game. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#43 : November 26, 2008, 01:00:34 PM

I don't know about clear sailing, but it looks likely IF they win the next 2.  They still do have some work to do in the computers, but that should take care of itself with the next 2 wins.  But, these computers are crazy as evidenced by UF being 7th is some of ones now.....

Really though if UF wins out I don't see why they shouldn't be in the game.  They'll have 1 loss, just like everyone else (BCS), and won their conference.  That is something USC and 2 of Texas/Oklahoma/Texas Tech likely won't be able to say.  To that end, I'd say why not have the 2 best conference champs play?

That's in part because by rule of the BcS computers can not consider something as meaning less as margin of victory. Srsly, notice Sagarin's vote is really simple elo chess rankings. A system he just uses but didn't create. Sagarin's real numbers are the predictor.

Also, note, the computer people will tell you their system was never made to rank teams properly till the end of the season, even then many will note that it still might not be a big enough sample group.

Also note, computers don't take into account players missing for whatever reason. And I think only some consider homefield advantage.

It's definitely a river of shiat. Plenty of turds to pick out of it.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#44 : November 26, 2008, 01:09:12 PM

OSU's showing in previous championship games is relevant. The idea is pollsters need to make judgement calls based on what they think about your schedule. In previous years they believed that OSU's schedule was enough to show they were one of the two best teams. After they watched the games, they realized their mistake, after a couple of goes now they're really worried as to if that schedule is enough of a test.

Fair or not that's how it often works.

The whole system becomes a lot more palatable if you stop trying to make the BCS title a National Championship. It's not. Let go of that concept and just accept you're winning a BCS title and then it's all good.  Yeah, you won a BCS title, It's pretty much like any bowl game title, perhaps more prestigious, perhaps not, but certainly not a national championship.  We are after all talking about the Bowl Subdivision and not the Championship subdivision.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bama shouldn't be #1 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools