Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bennett is in the dog house big time « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#45 : November 02, 2008, 10:39:04 PM

Bennett called out his frustration to the press back in September and has been in the doghouse ever since

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#46 : November 02, 2008, 10:46:56 PM

Bennett called out his frustration to the press back in September and has been in the doghouse ever since

Probably true...makes it that much more important to look like you had some basis for that frustration out on the field...

LA BUC

Starter

#47 : November 02, 2008, 11:11:13 PM

Smith and Bennett have the speed we need.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#48 : November 02, 2008, 11:28:36 PM

I would keep Bennett as a KR/PR though...dude has some wings...

Based on what? He's never returned a kick or punt and that's for three teams.
based on my opinion and dude has some wings (speed)...not every kick is returned for a TD, but MB29 and CS22 look like a scary duo...

BTW - GalloWilaytooOld and PBuc never returned a kick for us, but they still got us some great positions with speed... DJax has gotten us some great positions too, only knock is this is the NFL and not a beauty pageant...

You think there just might be a reason that Bennett's never returned a kick in the NFL? Three teams have come to that conclusion. I'll take that as better evidence than "dude has wings".

3 teams didn't release him due to ST play or lack there of... Vikings released him (injuries and ball handling) 4yrs after being selected 27th overall in '01, NOLA and KC found him to be expendable and TRADED him... (NOLA traded him after selecting Bush, KC had a crowded talented backfield as well)

The dude ran a 4.39 40 (with a bad hamstring) and set a record at Pro Day when he re-ran the 40 in 4.13...  

Your argument is weak, especially when your stuck on "not returning kicks for a TD"...

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#49 : November 02, 2008, 11:35:37 PM

Your argument is weak, especially when your stuck on "not returning kicks for a TD"...

Bennett has done nothing here in games that count, but those that point that out have a weak or poor argument...

Meanwhile, the guy who I guess is "taking his spot" is returning kickoffs for TDs and making key plays in the 4th qtr. and OT...

It's like some kind of Bizarro-world going on...

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#50 : November 02, 2008, 11:55:46 PM

Bennett has done nothing here in games that count, but those that point that out have a weak or poor argument...

Meanwhile, the guy who I guess is "taking his spot" is returning kickoffs for TDs and making key plays in the 4th qtr. and OT...

It's like some kind of Bizarro-world going on...
CS22 is taking DJax spot, NOT MB29...

meanwhile, whens the last time MB29 has been in the backfield (prior to today)... when's the last time he KR'd/PR'd for us?

How long was EG34 overlooked prior to JG's dad saying to put him in?

You all gripe about not utilizing speed when we have it (my post is about using him and CS22 as KR's and PR's)

BTW - MB29 has played in games that count, and has come away with damn good yards before...

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#51 : November 03, 2008, 12:50:17 AM

apparently so.  but what the hell happened to this guy?  he is in his late twenties and he has a 1,000 yard season and pro bowl on his resume, not to mention world class speed.  he looked good in limited oppotunties last year and the team spin was the only thing holding back was playbook knowledge.  we re-signed him and he spent a full offseason in our system, which should've taken care of any playbook issues. he played well in the preseason too.  Now the guy is buried on the depth chart. 

He has A thousand yard season, which is his only 700+ yard rushing year to date. And the guy's career isn't looking too bright right now. Maybe that says something. People on this board seem to be ok with writing off what Caddy and Clayton did their rookie seasons (and with reason), but they cannot accept that the guy with A good year back when Caddy and Clayton were sophomores in college might not be worthy of playing time? Doesn't really make sense.

The fact of the matter is, I honestly think people bought way too much of what PR or the Bucs were selling. Most fans probably weren't sure if Bennett was still in the league at the beginning of last season, but now they're griping about his lack of PT because he's supposedly a play maker or has "game-changing speed" or something. Hell, we could go out on the street every off-season and sign some Jerome Mathis, Bethel Johnson, Ashley Lelie, Justin Fargas, etc etc with big number speed. That doesn't mean they will have an impact.

apparently so.  but what the hell happened to this guy?  he is in his late twenties and he has a 1,000 yard season and pro bowl on his resume, not to mention world class speed.  he looked good in limited oppotunties last year and the team spin was the only thing holding back was playbook knowledge.  we re-signed him and he spent a full offseason in our system, which should've taken care of any playbook issues. he played well in the preseason too.  Now the guy is buried on the depth chart.

Buying into pre-season, also not such a good idea.

Your definition of the word "great" must differ from mine because that is in no way or shape a "great" decision.

MB has a history playing on the pro level not just on "paper".

Try again.

Same argument was used against Thomas Jones once upon a time.  The difference is MB has actually been productive prior coming to Tampa.

Good to see you on here again ADW, but your definition of "a pro level" and "productive" differs greatly from mine. People can't paint whatever pretty, 6 year dated picture of Bennett they want to, but the fact is that he was a 3rd stringer from a terrible team when we picked him up, and there didn't seem to be much potential there for great improvements. THAT IS, until the off-season. Seems to be a hype-related letdown on our hands here....

3 teams didn't release him due to ST play or lack there of... Vikings released him (injuries and ball handling) 4yrs after being selected 27th overall in '01, NOLA and KC found him to be expendable and TRADED him... (NOLA traded him after selecting Bush, KC had a crowded talented backfield as well)

The dude ran a 4.39 40 (with a bad hamstring) and set a record at Pro Day when he re-ran the 40 in 4.13... 

Ha, Pro Day times. Those are about as reliable as that PFT rumor that had Dungy retiring this off-season.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#52 : November 03, 2008, 12:53:34 AM

^^Oh, yeah, good to have dbtb on the same side of an argument... ;)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#53 : November 03, 2008, 12:58:17 AM

^^Oh, yeah, good to have dbtb on the same side of an argument... ;)
Yeah, because he can clarify his arguments, and you fail miserably at doing so.

I am sure DBTB does not need you to be his cheerleader.  He has ICIT for that  (lol).

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#54 : November 03, 2008, 01:05:58 AM

I am sure DBTB does not need you to be his cheerleader.  He has ICIT for that  (lol).

Yeah, there's only room on payroll for 2, and I'm saving Rachel Watson's spot even if she won't return my phone calls. :D

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#55 : November 03, 2008, 01:09:35 AM

I am sure DBTB does not need you to be his cheerleader. He has ICIT for that (lol).

Yeah, there's only room on payroll for 2, and I'm saving Rachel Watson's spot even if she won't return my phone calls. :D

Settle down now...a couple of compliments and suddenly his head can't fit through the door...

Boid helpful as always...

Warthog

Pro Bowler

#56 : November 03, 2008, 03:54:17 AM

Bennett is on the squad for depth.  He's a back-up.  He gets paid to be a back-up.  Dunn gets hurt so he gets a few carries.  And what does he do? He performs like someone who is a back-up. 

I don't see what the big deal is really, he wasn't seriously about to come in and notch up a 100-yard game.  You'd think we'd just traded for LaDanian Tomlinson and he'd stank it up by the reaction some are having!! 

Have realistic expectations! He had two TDs last year (one rushing, one receiving) in eight games (one start) but that's the limit of what he's done for the Bucs so far.  He has killer speed but not much craftiness*.  So if we see him break a massive play, it'll be down to a great block, a missed tackle and his speed.  He's not going to go out and create plays from nothing like the leagues top RBs do.  Just consider him a weapon that will be effective if used in the right circumstance and y'all won't be so disappointed with him.  A few carries a game as long as Dunn is out sounds about right to me.  Dunn does far more for the team though, in terms of catching, running, blocking and general veteran savvy.

And the reality is, if Clifton Smith can get his fumbles under control by the end of the year, Bennett will be gone.  Smith is starting to look nice and flexible, being able to fill the teams need as a returner AND back-up the starters at RB.  This goes double since Gruden shows every sign of being keen to get Cadillac back on the active roster at some point. 

To sum up, Bennett is what he is. And he can be useful, in the right time and place.   That's why he's on the team.

* Word is that the coaches think Bennett lacks "football intelligence".  Well, according to ESPN anyway, not that they are a guaranteed source of information --> http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-5-1/Bennett-looking-for-bigger-role-with-Bucs.html.

I leave at first light, headed North. Well do I recognize that I did not cover myself in glory. But never did I dream that for my failures I would be exiled. - the diary of Gen. L. P. McCown

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#57 : November 03, 2008, 10:16:03 AM

I would keep Bennett as a KR/PR though...dude has some wings...

Based on what? He's never returned a kick or punt and that's for three teams.
based on my opinion and dude has some wings (speed)...not every kick is returned for a TD, but MB29 and CS22 look like a scary duo...

BTW - GalloWilaytooOld and PBuc never returned a kick for us, but they still got us some great positions with speed... DJax has gotten us some great positions too, only knock is this is the NFL and not a beauty pageant...

You think there just might be a reason that Bennett's never returned a kick in the NFL? Three teams have come to that conclusion. I'll take that as better evidence than "dude has wings".

You're demonstrating a complete inability to follow a debate and at least a small inability to read.

I never said that the guy never returned a kick for a TD. What I said was that he's never returned a kick or punt...period. This is for a guy who's got a lot of speed and has been a 2nd or 3rd the vast majority of his career. You'd think that one of the Vikes, Chiefs or Bucs would have considered putting him back at the goal line at the start of a game and see what happened however, since none did, it's safe to assume that there's something holding him back in that regard.

As to his playing time as a RB....the guy has been a backup almost his entire career....very likely for a reason.  He seems to have produced at Minny but KC didn't use him at all and his touches in Minny were limited at times also. As a Buc, other than preseason games(and Aaron Stecker always looked good in preseason so it means little), he hasn't done too much. He's also looked tentative this season. Part of that might be from underuse this season however the Bucs really don't have time to wait for him to get comfortable in the backfield. The same factor hasn't afflicted Clifton Smith, who's looked pretty aggressive out there...although the ball being put on the ground is a bit concerning on his part.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#58 : November 03, 2008, 10:21:51 AM

As to his playing time as a RB....the guy has been a backup almost his entire career....very likely for a reason.  He seems to have produced at Minny but KC didn't use him at all and his touches in Minny were limited at times also. As a Buc, other than preseason games(and Aaron Stecker always looked good in preseason so it means little), he hasn't done too much. He's also looked tentative this season. Part of that might be from underuse this season however the Bucs really don't have time to wait for him to get comfortable in the backfield. The same factor hasn't afflicted Clifton Smith, who's looked pretty aggressive out there...although the ball being put on the ground is a bit concerning on his part.

Very misleading post. 

Let me address some of these points:

*He was productive as a Viking until he was injury plagued which forced the Vikes to look for other options.  Changes in ownership, coaching staff turmoil was also a reason why he was lost in the shuffle (see Chris Hovan).

*When he went to the Chiefs he wasn't asked to be a primary ball carrier and they had talent in front of him.

*Bennett produced in regular season games last year with limited play book knowledge.

*The reason why Bennett/Graham did so well last year was because of Valero who is no longer with the team.

*Bennett has proven he can produce in limited carries, but he has not been given a fair shake this year.

*Bennett is one of the smartest players on offense and understands the pass protections schemes better than a rookie like Smith.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#59 : November 03, 2008, 10:32:20 AM

A lot of arguing for no reason. 

Bennett will be inactive when Dunn is healthy. 

Even when he has been active, he hasn't seen the field much.  When he has, he hasn't done anything with the opportunity.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bennett is in the dog house big time « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools