Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Time to hold Kiffin to the fire. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#30 : November 02, 2008, 10:34:24 PM

I disagree Uncle.  BUT, you are right to hold him accountable when his defense fails.  But are we saying this as a comparison to how many times we should hold Gruden accountable for the offense?  Because the majority of the time it is plain offensive. 

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#31 : November 02, 2008, 10:52:44 PM

Gruden is always held to blame regardless of which part of the team struggles.

The defense got torched today by Tyler Thigpen.

Borderline embarassing

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#32 : November 02, 2008, 10:58:31 PM

Time to cancel your membership

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#33 : November 02, 2008, 11:52:58 PM

The Bucs defense was definitely a no show today and deserves the criticism it gets, but lets be real here - the defense is the reason we are 6-3 right now. They may have seen the film and came in a little overconfident, they obviously didn't have the same fire and concentration we've seen from this defense the past 8 ballgames. Still, they adjusted and only allowed 3 points the entire 2nd half, giving the offense a chance to get back into it.

General Alstott

Rookie

#34 : November 03, 2008, 01:55:38 AM

Monte Kiffin can coach here for as long as he likes. He holds the defense together through the years and continues to put together dominating squads. And as for all the wildcat talk and how he couldn't stop it, well he is in a long line of coaches who couldn't stop it starting with billichick.

firefall

Second String

#35 : November 03, 2008, 02:27:10 AM

Unc, must they be perfect EVERY week?

Not everyweek, but against the Chiefs? Yeah it was not the best of showings

You'll get no argument from me on that but in the grand scheme of things, the D has MORE than held up its end of the bargain.
That's what made it look so bad, tho, we are used to them being so good this year.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#36 : November 03, 2008, 02:32:47 AM

So bad game by D and it's on Gru and good game by D and it's on Monte? Yeah, that's fair.
How about bad game and it's on Gru, but good game it's on Gru? Or maybe we can find a happy medium and say bad game it's Gru and some others, while good game it's on Gru and some others?
Or would that be a tad too reasonable?

In Verner We Trust

Warthog

Pro Bowler

#37 : November 03, 2008, 03:22:08 AM

Gruden and Kiffin were both on the coaching staff of the team that won the game.

I leave at first light, headed North. Well do I recognize that I did not cover myself in glory. But never did I dream that for my failures I would be exiled. - the diary of Gen. L. P. McCown

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#38 : November 03, 2008, 04:37:23 AM

That was the worst I've seen the D play in a while but we just have to feel thankful that we were able to pull out a win. Whilst the trick play to Thigpen was humiliating, I thought the way our D played on the opening drive was so disappointing, coming out completely flat and allowing KC to go 80 yards virtually unchallenged for the score.

There were two main factors which contributed to the worst outing by the Defense so far this season: 1. The Chiefs O-Line played awesome, they really did. They were totally bossing the LOS for the whole game 2. Flip's absence made a huge difference in the running game, in which Sabby just wasn't quite there like Flip usually is to stuff the RB. Sabby's gonna need to step it up, and I hope that Kiffin can iron out these mistakes by the D over the next 2 weeks.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#39 : November 03, 2008, 10:22:43 AM

I would agree the defense is the only dependable parts of the 3 units-offense , defense and ST.

But it appears to me, that if one were to read this board since 2003, Gruden is the one to blame for everything bad and none of the good.

One also needs to realize that Gruden, even tho he is the HC, lets Kiffin run the defense and is responsible for developing the defense and the defensive staff,

This is not the first time that the defense has let us down. But yesterday's game was just horrible. With all the ranting being done about the offense, I felt there was a need to point out that Kiffin was more the culprit than Gruden in this one.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#40 : November 03, 2008, 10:26:54 AM

Whats funny to me is how Kiffen is throw on the fire after one week when his defense was bad, even after having a dominant defense for mostly every other week. Then the same people will back Gruden when he hasn't had a dominant offensive performance in six years, and he has had MANY MANY bad games.

So why the difference? I agree Monte had a bad game and got flat out destroyed out there, but Gruden has been getting beat just about every week. Why the difference there?

Stop having a legitimate opinion and take a sip:

I love it.  One bad game vs 6yrs worth

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#41 : November 03, 2008, 10:28:46 AM

Why do we continually denegrate the other team to make us look even worst?  That mindset alone baffles me to now end.  Those boys get paid to play just like the Bucs.  I'm sure they put in a good week of practice, had a game plan, and it worked largely in the first half.  Can we say, Kudos to KC or is that not allowed?  For those who want to bust Monte's chops I'd say he deserves some critisism this week.  But can we give him credit for making the in-game/half-time adjustments?  Don't think KC scored in the second half and if they did they didn't make it stand.  

By no means am I implying the Bucs played well yesterday.  But they continue to play hard and as a team.  A three unit team that used all three phases effectively to mount the biggest comeback in team history.  

A little balance here please...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#42 : November 03, 2008, 10:34:44 AM

I think the PR guys were right on with the extrmely poor play of our DT's.  This was the first game they were really exposed but they've not been tha good all year.  Hovan gets a pass for some reason, although he's slightly above avg against the run he's well below avg. against the pass. Haye, i don't know where he is. I agree Wilkerson and Sims need more reps, and the biggest need for this team is DT, along with QB.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#43 : November 03, 2008, 10:37:02 AM

Onest again, we're all looking for the next #99, honestly if we don't get Hainesworth in FA our defense doesn't get better.  He's the best DT out there right now and I wouldn't put him even in Warren's category...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#44 : November 03, 2008, 10:40:31 AM

Hey Chev,

"some criticism"?

The whole first half, IMO, was on Kiffin.

As I said elsewhere. Felt the point need to be made that it wasn't all on Gruden.

Actually, I am very supportive of Kiffin and have been over the time since he came here.

But he is human and makes mistakes-he made some bad ones yesterday.

Balance is what I was trying to offer.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Time to hold Kiffin to the fire. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools