Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs have 10th lowest payroll in 2008 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#15 : November 06, 2008, 02:45:44 PM

Stan - There are only 20 something teams that are under the hard cap, but becuase so much money can be shifted from year to year now using the loophole it makes it hard to track 100%, the Vikings were one of the first if not the first to find and use the loophole several years ago

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#16 : November 06, 2008, 02:48:08 PM

Rowdie, you are correct he was taken 3rd overall which considering the price of top five picks and add in his was a quarterback and for him only to be making3.9 million is not a bad deal for the Titans, where as Carnell Williams was a top five pick and make 4.1 million for the same kind of production this season nada, zero nothing so in they end every team will have a player making more then his production would indicate he should be paid

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 06, 2008, 02:51:17 PM

Rowdie, you are correct he was taken 3rd overall which considering the price of top five picks and add in his was a quarterback and for him only to be making3.9 million is not a bad deal for the Titans, where as Carnell Williams was a top five pick and make 4.1 million for the same kind of production this season nada, zero nothing so in they end every team will have a player making more then his production would indicate he should be paid

Eff'n Eh man.

For the position he plays and where he was picked you might think they got a great deal.

I took a beating after saying he was my top bust prospect that year. People tracked me down the whole next year... no so much since then though.  Kind of keeps me from tracking down all the Matt Ryan haters.  In it for the long haul baby.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#18 : November 06, 2008, 02:52:32 PM

Here is a list of the top 25 paid players no matter what position, as you can see some guys are not living up to their pay status

1. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - $18,700,000
2. Tom Brady, New England Patriots - $14,626,720
3. Julius Peppers, Carolina Panthers - $14,137,500
4. Carson Palmer, Cincinnati Bengals - $13,980,000
5. Eli Manning, New York Giants - $12,916,666
6. Brett Favre, New York Jets - $12,800,000
7. Champ Bailey, Denver Broncos - $12,690,050
8. Marvin Harrison, Indianapolis Colts - $12,000,000
9. Dewayne Robertson, Denver Broncos - $11,191,369
10. Jake Delhomme, Carolina Panthers - $10,956,666
11. Chris McAlister, Baltimore Ravens - $10,907,082
12. Jason Taylor, Washington Redskins - $10,025,385
13. Matt Hasselbeck, Seattle Seahawks - $9,950,000
14. Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers - $9,916,262
15. Bernard Berrian, Minnesota Vikings - $9,538,333
16. David Garrard, Jacksonville Jaguars - $9,500,000
17. Joe Thomas, Cleveland Browns - $9,460,000
18. Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens - $9,428,574
19. Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles - $9,360,632
20. Eric Steinbach, Cleveland Browns - $9,266,666
21. Torry Holt, St. Louis Rams - $9,204,714
22. Asante Samuel, Philadelphia Eagles - $9,145,000
23. Marc Bulger, St. Louis Rams - $9,005,760
24. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints - $9,000,000
25. Bob Sanders, Indianapolis Colts - $8,743,332

Oliver Goldsmith

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#19 : November 06, 2008, 02:54:15 PM

Rowdie - Compared to Russells contract a few year later or even even some of the defensive players chosen after Young in the following years the Titans deal for Young is ideal

Oliver Goldsmith

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#20 : November 06, 2008, 02:57:30 PM

Shoot I had to look up #9.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#21 : November 06, 2008, 03:01:19 PM

Any incentive added to a contract after the start of the regular season is considered "Likely To Be Earned" and immediately counts against the cap.

So teams with leftover cap room near the end of the season can give a player an unreachable incentive, and the amount of the incentive counts against the cap (thereby using up the leftover cap room).

At the end of the year, that incentive obviously was never earned. By rule, because it counted against the cap and was never paid, it gets credited to the team's cap the next season. So if a team used a $20 million incentive to exploit the loophole, its cap in 2009 could be $140 million instead of $120 million. In essence, it allows you to push your unused cap room forward to the next season.

The Bucs are scheduled to have around 50 million in cap space to use to acquire players this off-season

Oliver Goldsmith

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 06, 2008, 03:02:21 PM

Rowdie - Compared to Russells contract a few year later or even even some of the defensive players chosen after Young in the following years the Titans deal for Young is ideal

Well, except he's physically healthy and riding the pine.  Of course the other side is, he could be hurting them a lot more money wise.  

I don't really pay much attention to the flaming thumbtacks but I liked that they kept Jeff Fisher all these years, with the move from houston and all that, and seeing as they spend money on the linemen I'm all over that, and they seem to build defense first, which I also like. The only thing I didn't agree with that I took note of was drafting Young.

Remember that ESPN commercial about talking out your arse 'cause you don't listen to ESPN?   Talk about Irony!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#23 : November 06, 2008, 03:05:35 PM

Think that had  alot to do with the New offensive coordinator Chow, and the decision to release McNair

Oliver Goldsmith

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#24 : November 06, 2008, 03:06:51 PM

Think that had  alot to do with the New offensive coordinator Chow, and the decision to release McNair
It was reported Chow really wanted Matt Leinart with that pick, but former GM Floyd Reese wanted to stick it to the division rival Texans by picking Houston native Vince Young.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 06, 2008, 03:12:14 PM

Think that had  alot to do with the New offensive coordinator Chow, and the decision to release McNair

And getting Chow I liked, but he's gone. Looks like he's going to be "a college guy."  And just an ocord as well.  

Man, you think Chow wanted Young?  hmmm...  Well maybe that's the college guy coming out of him again.

VY just got all this major luv from the masses for his performance vs USC on the big stage.  I think it goes to show you shouldn't get to excited over one game.  Plus look at ole Colt kicking arse with texas.  I didn't even know Colt could run till this year.  Maybe it has something to do with college != NFL and the b12 getting a lil slack on D lately.

I love spread and option in college but that stuff doesn't play in the nfl. Not full on all the time like in college anyway.  Makes guys like Tebow hard to project into the nfl. I think it puts them a year behind no matter what. A year behind QBs that played in a more pro style offense.

Especially these spreads where they line up then look to the side line for the call.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#26 : November 06, 2008, 03:13:56 PM

It was reported Chow really wanted Matt Leinart with that pick, but former GM Floyd Reese wanted to stick it to the division rival Texans by picking Houston native Vince Young.

I would be inclined to believe such a thing.  At least believe it possible. Well the Chow anting Leinart part or more to the point even VY not being a Chow pick.  Sticking with that, maybe that's why he's gone already.    Hmmmm....

#27 : November 06, 2008, 04:13:18 PM

Jake Delhome is a RIP OFF at $11 million a year, and Drew Brees is getting ripped off at $9 million.    McNab is gettig ripped off too.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#28 : November 06, 2008, 04:27:22 PM

Where do you get that Jake Delhomme is making almost $11 million? Rotoworld says he's getting $3.69 million for this season and $5.325 million for 2009.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2398

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#29 : November 06, 2008, 04:35:14 PM

And if they want to be a true contender theyre going to have to spend some money this offseason
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs have 10th lowest payroll in 2008 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools