Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the NFL spies on its players « previous next »
Page: 1

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

: November 07, 2008, 01:12:41 PM

The National Football League's unprecedented new effort to protect its image by cracking down on loutish behavior is making some of the league's 1,952 players a little nervous.

This sweeping new personal-conduct policy, which was announced before the 2007 season, allows the NFL to quickly and summarily fine and suspend players; not just for committing crimes, but for any act that's deemed harmful to the NFL's "integrity and reputation." To guard against these unpredictable suspensions (there have been 10 so far), NFL teams are hiring former police officers and FBI agents as security chiefs, ordering up extensive background checks, installing video-surveillance systems in locker rooms, chasing down rumors and sometimes forbidding players from talking to the press.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122601853947707055.html

simmstheanswer

Starter

#1 : November 07, 2008, 03:07:25 PM

sorry, not buying it... "ordering up extensive background checks, installing video-surveillance systems in locker rooms, chasing down rumors and sometimes forbidding players from talking to the press"

background checks? of course. investigating rumors? i'm sure they do. but installing video-surveillance in TEAM OWNED locker rooms? i highly doubt the owners would approve of that. the league also has very little control over a player talking to the media or not; the only exception i can see is if a player is in some sort of trouble the league may play a heavy hand and "warn" a player that talking to the media about their case could harm their cause, or something police like...

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 07, 2008, 03:12:16 PM

if idiots would stop acting like idiots this wouldn't be necessary

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 07, 2008, 03:26:39 PM

sorry, not buying it... "ordering up extensive background checks, installing video-surveillance systems in locker rooms, chasing down rumors and sometimes forbidding players from talking to the press"

background checks? of course. investigating rumors? i'm sure they do. but installing video-surveillance in TEAM OWNED locker rooms? i highly doubt the owners would approve of that. the league also has very little control over a player talking to the media or not; the only exception i can see is if a player is in some sort of trouble the league may play a heavy hand and "warn" a player that talking to the media about their case could harm their cause, or something police like...

Some have it in their contract that "they cannot do/say anything unbecoming to anyone about the team." They could just say it in private and get away with it, of course. I just don't think many teams actually apply that part of the contract, only because they don't want to "rock the boat" so-to-speak. I've thought this was going on years ago anyway.

#4 : November 07, 2008, 06:39:34 PM

background checks? of course. investigating rumors? i'm sure they do. but installing video-surveillance in TEAM OWNED locker rooms? i highly doubt the owners would approve of that.

The owners are the ones doing it. Better read the quote again:

To guard against these unpredictable suspensions (there have been 10 so far), NFL teams are hiring former police officers and FBI agents as security chiefs, ordering up extensive background checks, installing video-surveillance systems in locker rooms, chasing down rumors and sometimes forbidding players from talking to the press.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the NFL spies on its players « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools