Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Numbers Support, QB's not getting the job done « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: November 07, 2008, 08:35:54 PM

Boid - Not crossing over to the dark side, just figured I would stir the pot a little bit with everyone accusing the offensive line, quarterback, passing game, running game, play calling, redzone scoring or head coach for the problems on offense. While projected stats are a nice thing to speculate on they mean about as much right now as fantasy player projections.

Maybe I just read to many football books in my down time, maybe I should quit reading and just throw stuff against the wall to see if others have the same idea....LOL

But in all seriousness, the offense is missing and not firing on all cylinders and until it does going far in the playoffs is just a pipe dream right now.

Boid, on a side note I did not mention Gruden at all in the starting of this thread, see you can teach old dogs new tricks

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 07, 2008, 09:27:23 PM

Will dig around and see if I have some that are safe for posting for OPSEC reasons

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 07, 2008, 09:26:01 PM

Boid - Not crossing over to the dark side, just figured I would stir the pot a little bit with everyone accusing the offensive line, quarterback, passing game, running game, play calling, redzone scoring or head coach for the problems on offense. While projected stats are a nice thing to speculate on they mean about as much right now as fantasy player projections.

Maybe I just read to many football books in my down time, maybe I should quit reading and just throw stuff against the wall to see if others have the same idea....LOL

But in all seriousness, the offense is missing and not firing on all cylinders and until it does going far in the playoffs is just a pipe dream right now.

Boid, on a side note I did not mention Gruden at all in the starting of this thread, see you can teach old dogs new tricks

LOL!!!

I did actually laugh at this!

KUDOS!

BTW, stay safe over there man.  Post some pics dude!!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 07, 2008, 06:33:59 PM

The two quarterbacks who have started for the Bucs this season have 221 completions for 2,167 yards. I wanted to know exactly how much YAC was gained after each catch after doing some digging the receivers, tight ends and backs have gotten 1,026 yards of YAC on the season. Leaving the quarterbacks with 1,141 yards through the air or an average of 5.14 yards on average that the football has traveled before being caught. While I understand this is a West Coast Scheme. Given the design of each play with it attacking each level of the defense. It is on the quarterback to pull the trigger and stretch the defense, there have been several times where the quarterback for what ever reason is not doing so.

While some will argue that if the running game was working the passing game would be working. But it goes both ways as if the passing game was working the running game would be working. It takes both to have an effective offense in this day and age.

For those who think it is the receivers not doing there part in getting open it would appear they have been getting open and doing their part by gaining YAC as they represent 47% of the total yards after the football is caught.

The Quarterbacks have a combined 347 pass attempts by both Garcia & Griese they have combined for 47 poor throws, 9 batted balls and 9 interceptions for a total of 65 quarterback driven mistakes which amounts to 18%, The receivers have a total of 18 dropped passes or .05%

I would tend to lean towards the quarterbacks are not getting the job done, even though it wont make 4Bucs happy the numbers sure do support it

Oliver Goldsmith

#4 : November 07, 2008, 06:50:46 PM

Wow dude, kudos for doing a lotta digging.

kmitchell

Starter

#5 : November 07, 2008, 06:54:01 PM

The west coast offense is based on YAC. Garcia throws the short dump off or quick slants and the WR's are meant to take it for a 1st down. I respect your research that you did, but I just believe our system is built on YAC.

I also believe if we had a true deep threat, that number would be much different. Garcia works with what he has, and the most effective scheme for our WR's is definitely short passes with YAC.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 07, 2008, 07:01:44 PM

Mitchell - It is based on YAC, But you still have to attack the different levels of a defense to keep them honest to allow for greater YAC. If they know going in everything is going to be underneath then they will cheat the back end defenders up some which causes more congestion and less room for the receivers to be able to gain the YAC this offense is designed to get

Oliver Goldsmith

kmitchell

Starter

#7 : November 07, 2008, 07:03:45 PM

That is exactly why we need to draft a deep threat WR. Berrian would have been a great FA pickup this offseason.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 07, 2008, 07:09:45 PM

You dont necessarily need a true deep threat to be able to stretch a defense down the field to be able to keep a defense from cheating a few extra steps towards the LOS, what you need is some 15-25 yard pass plays(That is the football travel through the air 15-25 yards). Which is the intermediate zone of every defense, which by cause and effect would not allow defense to routinely bring the extra defenders into the box to help defend the run and would allow more room for the receivers to be able to work underneath and be able to turn up field after catching the football to gain even more YAC.

Oliver Goldsmith

john.matincheck

Starter

#9 : November 07, 2008, 07:12:44 PM

6-3 the only stat that matters. The QBs have gotten the job done 6 times this year and they have failed to get it done 3 times. Everything else is fluff.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#10 : November 07, 2008, 07:13:43 PM

You dont necessarily need a true deep threat to be able to stretch a defense down the field to be able to keep a defense from cheating a few extra steps towards the LOS, what you need is some 15-25 yard pass plays(That is the football travel through the air 15-25 yards). Which is the intermediate zone of every defense, which by cause and effect would not allow defense to routinely bring the extra defenders into the box to help defend the run and would allow more room for the receivers to be able to work underneath and be able to turn up field after catching the football to gain even more YAC.

IMO this is EXACTLY right!  I have been trying to say just this for a while, but Yucc put it clearly!

!

.....just my opinion

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 07, 2008, 07:14:58 PM

While it is true that the only real stat is 6-3, no harm in trying to figure out where the problem is centered around when it comes to the offense either

Oliver Goldsmith

john.matincheck

Starter

#12 : November 07, 2008, 07:38:28 PM

Biggest problem with the O is injuries. Davin missed 4 games, Garcia was hurt week one played poorly and missed 4 weeks, Dunn hurt the past two weeks, Galloway nonfactor all season thus far and low and behold the team is still ranked high in yards per game and is winning 2/3 of their games. If I recall half way through the superbowl year the O wasn't clicking and then in the second half they started to get it together and peaked at the right time. If they are lucky maybe they can catch lightning in a bottle and get on a roll in the second half.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 07, 2008, 07:58:23 PM

While it is true that the only real stat is 6-3, no harm in trying to figure out where the problem is centered around when it comes to the offense either
The offense is as good as it ever has been.

Under Grudens coaching...

I really don't have a major beef with the team right now.  I wish Garcia would pull the trigger on more downfield passes, but he doesn't have the accuracy at this point.  IT basically null and voids Galloways deep threat ability.  Which is crucial, IMO, to making this a truly effective offense.  And to be really honest, the run scheme has been mediocre lately...

And if it gets going, things might look better.  Graham and company are getting beaten up out there. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 07, 2008, 08:24:42 PM

Per TBBBB:

Category Projection Potential Rank* Record (Season)
Points Scored 355 2nd 388 (2000)
Total Net Yards 5,605 1st 5,453 (2003)
First Downs 312 2nd 344 (1984)
Passing First Downs 208 2nd 209 (1984)
Third Down Pct. 41.7 2nd 42.9 (1984)
Yards Per Rush 4.21 2nd 4.22 (2000)
Pass Attempts 619 1st 592 (2003)
Completions 395 1st 369 (2003)
Net Passing Yards 3,751 2nd 3,805 (200

The BUcs are on pace to shatter prior records...so...what is the real beef here?  I mean I understand there is ALWAYS room for improvement, but given the current record, and the offense with a struggling run game, do you think there is any real reason to be frustrated as you are Yucs?

I mean, I get it bro.  I get it.  But don't cross over to the other side just yet.  You might be selling yourself out.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Numbers Support, QB's not getting the job done « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools