Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If Not Gruden, Then Who Could Be The Bucs Head Coach? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

T

Hall of Famer

: October 12, 2006, 02:11:22 PM

With his second 0-4 start in 3 years I hear alot of grumblings about Gruden being fired if the Bucs don't show some marked improvement in their last 12 games. My question to all you loyal Buccaneer fans is who could replace a Super Bowl winning Head Coach? For the record I am a huge Gruden fan, and support the Coach who brought the Bucs their only Super Bowl title and Super Bowl appearance. I respect Dungy for helping the Bucs shake off the mystique of being a joke every year, but I don't respect his inability to put together a effective offense and his constant failure in the playoffs. If the Bucs win less than 5 games I could see Gruden being the fall guy for an aging team that failed to play up to their potential. But could Gruden be fired by Bruce Allen the very guy he helped get hired? I just don't see Gruden being fired and replaced by some mediocre coach,unless this team fails to reach at the very least 5 wins.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#1 : October 12, 2006, 02:17:06 PM

PayPal????

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 12, 2006, 02:22:53 PM

With his second 0-4 start in 3 years I hear alot of grumblings about Gruden being fired if the Bucs don't show some marked improvement in their last 12 games. My question to all you loyal Buccaneer fans is who could replace a Super Bowl winning Head Coach? For the record I am a huge Gruden fan, and support the Coach who brought the Bucs their only Super Bowl title and Super Bowl appearance. I respect Dungy for helping the Bucs shake off the mystique of being a joke every year, but I don't respect his inability to put together a effective offense and his constant failure in the playoffs. If the Bucs win less than 5 games I could see Gruden being the fall guy for an aging team that failed to play up to their potential. But could Gruden be fired by Bruce Allen the very guy he helped get hired? I just don't see Gruden being fired and replaced by some mediocre coach,unless this team fails to reach at the very least 5 wins.

I think the loss of several draft picks and the cap situation we were in has hindered Grduen and Allen the last two years.  Now we have a steady stream of draft talent and the cap is under control I expect them to start getting results in 2007 and 2008.  I can’t see the Glazers pulling the plug on Gruden for at least another two years.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 12, 2006, 02:25:57 PM

1.)  Allen will not fire Gruden.  They are one entity.  

2.)  The Best pure football coach on the team is Kiffin.  And it is not even close.  He is most logical candidate.

3.)  I would love Norm Chow if he becomes available as the OC.  If not him, Lane Kiffin would be an interesting choice. He certainly knows how to coach, and I am sure he would take the job working under Monte.  

4.)  Barry wont stay, so I would pick Jim Heac_ock (the board wont let me post his name) as the DC.  He is the DC of Ohio St and has done a great job for 11 years.  This year he had to replace 9 starters and routinely sends 4-6 guys every year into the NFL.   We have done well with coaches from Ohio schools with Lovie Smith and Tomlin.  

5.)  Of the retreads, Jeff Fisher is a heck of a coach with a bad situation.

6.)  I don't see the hot assitant du jour thing with the Bucs.  The Glazers turned down Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith when both wanted to be coach of the Bucs after Parcells left.  They want someone high profile.  

7.)  This board in particular is fiercly proud of Gruden.  I get that I will be flamed.  But if you give him credit for being 11-6 last year, you have to give him the blame for what is likely to be our worst year since 1991.  The Bucs are 0-4, and looking at one heck of a schedule.  ALL coaches lose their shelf life in this league.  Walsh lasted 10 years at SF, JJ 5, Madden 10, et al.  

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#4 : October 12, 2006, 02:26:42 PM

I think if Gruden goes, Allen goes too. The Glazers would have to be committed to a complete overhaul of the team...I don't think they'll do that just yet, they'll wait and see what happends with another full draft and a lot of $$$ to spend on FA..... but I bet they'll seriously consider it after '07 if Gru/Allen lead the team to another losing season. And if that happens I have no clue as to who would replace them.....maybe try and get Weis to leave ND?

shall555

Starter

#5 : October 12, 2006, 02:37:10 PM

I don't think Gruden should be considered for replacement until after the 2008 season. Dungy had 6 years and produced 1 division title and 1 Championship Game appearance. In 5 years, Gruden's already delivered 2 Division titles, a Championship Game appearance and a Super Bowl ring. Gruden deserves, at least 7 years, before they consider making a move. The coaching candidates out there are pretty slim pickings.

Look at Baltimore, they won it all in 2000, and Billick was considered to be on the hotseat before the season started. Now, they are 4-1. It takes time to dismantle the remnants of a Super Bowl team, with all the aging high priced vets and open a new window. We are in the middle of opening a new window. Last year's division title was a shock to many, because we were still in the middle of rebuilding. I just think it was the last hurrah for that great Super Bowl D. Now, it's time to finish our rebuilding project, next year, with a new defense for the next Super Bowl window. I think we'll be damn good next year. Good enough to create another Championship window for the next 5-7 years.

SCREW WEIS. He's overrated. Anyone can look good with Brady as your QB. Before NE, he was a nobody coach, following the Bill Parcells gravy train. Let's see if he can win a National Championship with Notre Dame, before we ride his coat tails.

T

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 12, 2006, 02:39:34 PM

It would take an act of God to get Weis to leave Notre Dame he loves that place.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 12, 2006, 03:00:38 PM

I couldnt see Weis leaving ND either. Besides loving it he's the king of his domain there.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 12, 2006, 03:01:10 PM

I just think it was the last hurrah for that great Super Bowl D. Now, it's time to finish our rebuilding project, next year, with a new defense

Perfectly stated. I think last year, no matter how good we feel from it, was the D showing it's final blast. IT's painfully obvious that our aging D is slipping and slipping big time. We've addressed the O and it will take time to get into the groove. THere are 7 starters under 3 years exp. if I remember correctly. I'm fairly certain that the D will be addressed in the upcoming draft, likely all the day 1 picks. We'll also have the $$ to bring in a high profile FA or two to help shore things up with the new blood about to be brought in.

We had a window and we pulled one ring out of it. We should have/could have had 1 or more out of it, but we just didn't get over the Philly hump. I think we are building a strong offense and are now in the process of building the defense. I think Gruden will be OK untill say the 2008 season. At that point, there will be serious questions if we finish with a losing record. 2007 looks bright, but we will need the FA's we bring in to make an immediate impact with the rooks on the defense. The O will be better (hopefully the line will resolve itself) but we will need to score some points to remain competitive still untill the defence can catch up.

Seems odd to say that our D has to play catch up with the O. This is the Buccaneers after all and we're built around defense. Who'd a'thunk it.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 12, 2006, 03:11:11 PM

This coming offseason is really the first one they will have a full slate of picks, and room under the cap for a Big FA play.  Given that the Glazers are partly responsible for trading those picks away, I think Jon will get at least another year, to see what some acquisitions will do.  I think the FO is also aware of what the coaching losses on the D side did to this D.  They are also aware that the D is Monte's not Jon's, and that there was a massive overhaul of the O required that took picks away from the D side.  While the O has been poor this year, the D hasn't shined either, so you may as well say Monte's job is in jeopardy -- it isn't.  It's not like the glazers aren't involved in the planning for the future of this franchise, they are, very much -- they don't just sign checks without oversight.

I would say he probably gets next year and the year after, to draft and develop.  If we look like crap at that point, then he's gone.
Besides, winning a SB isn't easy, and even with a great team, not all coaches can do it.  Some can consistently do well but not seal the deal.  The Glazers want someone who can get it done, they aren't going to trade him in for a question mark.  They'll take a few bad years for the big prize.

CoachEricTaylor

Starter

#10 : October 12, 2006, 03:30:37 PM

Bobby Petrino

:: CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN\'T LOSE ::

#11 : October 12, 2006, 04:20:06 PM

But could Gruden be fired by Bruce Allen the very guy he helped get hired?

There is nobody that will make me believe that Bruce Allen ranks over Gruden.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 12, 2006, 08:35:33 PM

What if Gruden Grooms this offense for years to be top fligh in the NFL. Over several years, they are consistently great on Offense, but the D doesn't hold on to the lead enough to push them over the SuperBowl edge.... We fire Gruden, and hire a Defensive coach like, let's say Marinelli(whomever)... If that following year, Marinelli/whoever tweeks the D just a lil', and we win it all.. I wonder if the Gruden lovers would eat their own words, and declare that it is Gruden's masterpiece. It would be Ironic.

Gruden is not a genious people. He is not above being fired as a loser. All of you that would stick with a loser have different reasons for cheering than I.

This discussion reminds me of an abused spouse. When thinking of freedom, they start thinking out of fear, instead of just doing what is right. -Don't be afraid!

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 12, 2006, 10:40:08 PM

Gregg Williams

Position: Asst. HC - Defense
Years With Team: 3

When Joe Gibbs signed back on as Redskins head coach, his top priority was to put together a great coaching staff. He wasted no time on the defensive side of the ball, convincing Gregg Williams to join his staff as assistant head coach, responsible for building a dominating Redskins defense.
Williams did not disappoint.

Since 2004, he has employed an aggressive, blitzing-style defense that has translated into one of the most formidable groups in the NFL.

It is a defense that prided itself on not having individual star-type players but a group that played together to form one of the most dominant units in Redskins history.

Considered one of the brightest defensive minds in professional football, Williams brings a brand of defense based on toughness and persistence. He has a proven track record for shaping NFL defensive squads into among the league's best year after year.

Williams took over the Redskins' defensive unit after three years as head coach of the Buffalo Bills. During his tenure in Buffalo, his defenses improved tremendously over each of his three seasons. In 2003 the Bills' defense finished second in the NFL, improving from 15th in 2002 and 21st in 2001.

Overall, the Bills' 2003 defensive and special teams units finished among the NFL's top-5 teams in nine categories. Buffalo finished second in the league (first in the AFC) in total defense and second in pass defense, as well as making vast improvements stopping their opponents' run game, ranking eighth in the NFL after finishing 29th overall in 2002.

During his three seasons leading the Bills, Williams' squads earned a reputation as fierce competitors who battled each week, making Ralph Wilson Stadium a destination few teams looked forward to visiting.

He took over as head coach of the Bills after 11 seasons with the Tennessee organization, including the defensive coordinator position for four seasons (1997-00). Williams proved his talent quickly within the Tennessee program, beginning his career with the team in 1990 as a defensive quality control coach.

Under his leadership in 2000, the Titans' defensive unit led the league in total defense for the first time since joining the NFL and the 191 points allowed were the third fewest in the NFL since the league adopted a 16-game schedule in 1978. The team also established the franchise's single-season records for sacks (55), fewest passing yards allowed (2,424), and fewest touchdowns allowed (17).

The Titans ranked first in the AFC and second in the NFL over the 1999-00 seasons in sacks with 109 combined. Tennessee was the only team in the NFL to place in the top seven in both run (3) and pass defense (1); and over their last 37 games under Williams, the Titans' run defense allowed only three 100-yard rushers.

Before taking over as defensive coordinator for the Titans, he spent three seasons (1994-96) as linebackers coach when the franchise was in Houston, after spending the 1993 season heading up the Oilers' special teams units. During the 1993 campaign, Williams' special teams unit had the top-rated punting game and ranked sixth in kickoff return defense.

From 1990-92, Williams served as the club's first quality control coordinator. In addition, Williams previously assisted coaching the Oilers' defensive backs, assisted the scout teams for practice sessions and helped the defensive coaching staff on game days.

Prior to joining the NFL, Williams worked with the University of Houston as a graduate assistant (1988-89) under former Oilers and Redskins head coach Jack Pardee. From 1984-87, Williams was the head coach at Belton (MO) High School after spending the 1980-83 seasons as an assistant coach at his hometown of Excelsior Springs (MO) High School.

A native of Excelsior Springs, Mo., Williams was a quarterback and also played baseball at Northeast Missouri State, where he received his Bachelor's of Science degree. He later earned his master's degree in education from Central Missouri State. Williams and his wife, Leigh Ann, have a daughter, Amy, and two sons, Blake and Chase.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#14 : October 12, 2006, 11:02:08 PM

Now why would the Glazers hire a defensive coach with a different philosphy than Kiffen to be HC. That would be the biggest slap in the face for Monte. If that ever happened, that would mean the team goes through a complete overhaul. SF and Titans-like overhaul.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If Not Gruden, Then Who Could Be The Bucs Head Coach? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools