Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Economic downturn now hurting NCAA ticket sales and fundraising « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: November 15, 2008, 02:51:51 PM

Michal Ann Strahilevitz, a professor of marketing at Golden Gate University, has done research on charitable spending and believes athletic departments will be among the first to feel the pain of a downturn.

"People are very worried about their futures and looking for places to cut spending," she said. "If you are someone that can afford to make large donations to sports teams, you probably also have a stock portfolio, and it has probably taken one of the biggest hits you have ever experienced."

If people are forced to make a choice, Strahilevitz said, athletic programs would likely go to the head of the chopping block. "If you regularly contribute to a cause that feeds hungry children, would you cut that out first, or would you first cut out the annual check you write to your college sports team?" she said. "I rest my case."

Full article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081115/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_economy_college_fundraising

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 16, 2008, 07:58:24 AM

It's Obama's fault.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#2 : November 16, 2008, 10:37:20 AM

Penn State fans, for the most part, would donate to Penn State football over feeding hungry children.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 16, 2008, 12:00:23 PM

NCAA tournament in Oregon sold out in one day, Oregon basketball is building a new stadium, so is baseball. I think it effects the smaller schools with the smaller budgets

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Economic downturn now hurting NCAA ticket sales and fundraising « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools