Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How would you fix the Lightning? « previous next »
Page: 1

Yakuza Rich

Rookie

: November 14, 2008, 07:30:39 PM

Myself:

-  The team will go into total rebuilding mode.  Vinny and Marty will be traded for first-round draft picks and "hot" prospects in the junior leagues that will be ready to join the NHL next year and immediately contribute.

-  A young coach will be hired, he will be allowed to "grow" with the team ala how Eric Wedge "grew" with the Cleveland Indians.

-  Ticket prices will be drastically reduced to reflect the fact that it will be 4-5 years before this team sees the playoffs again.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 14, 2008, 07:42:37 PM

No trade of Vinny.

The Indians pretty much suck

LOL

Yakuza Rich

Rookie

#2 : November 14, 2008, 08:16:52 PM

No trade of Vinny.

LOL, yeah, I'm sure Vinny wants to stay on a crappy team with too many aging stars and no real shot at the playoffs in the next two years.

This isn't like the NFL where you can turnover your roster and get back into winning form in one year like the Falcons and Dolphins have done.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 14, 2008, 09:42:37 PM

No trade of Vinny.

LOL, yeah, I'm sure Vinny wants to stay on a crappy team with too many aging stars and no real shot at the playoffs in the next two years.

This isn't like the NFL where you can turnover your roster and get back into winning form in one year like the Falcons and Dolphins have done.

Who cares what Vinny wants?  This team has some good young talent already inlcuding Vinny.  Melrose is a joke for one thing and this ownership group is in way over its head.  The team will be sold within the next couple of years.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 14, 2008, 09:58:51 PM

First off, the problem with the Lightning is not the lack of offensive talent. It is the defense and goalies.

I loved Kolzig when he played for the Capitals but now he is washed up. Mike Smith is 'meh' at best. Next year the Lightning should focus on Defense and Goalie replacement.

They should also consider renovating the St.Pete Times Forum. Fix it up real nice and increase possible incentives to have people goto games.

Bring in a good coach who the players obviously do not disrespect and have no lack of consideration for. Melrose was a name and thats all he was. 

The talent is there, they just need to be used properly. My issue is not Vinny or Marty, it is the Defense plain and simple.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 14, 2008, 10:28:12 PM

Trade marty for some good young defensive help (if that's possible).  Melrose is a joke, plain and simple

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 14, 2008, 10:31:15 PM

im not much of a hockey man, but what of what i understand...

- Better coaching.  We need a coach that has worked under great coaches and understand how this game works.  right after torts left, he was preaching for his assistant to get hired, said he was a great coach, we need someone like that.

- Stop trading off people, unless it is a no brainer.  Why cant we build a team like everyone else?  a mix of free agents and draft picks.

- conform to the league, why did this new ownership go after PR moves before anything else?  what we heard was that the mullet would bring the same thing as the spread offense to the NHL... why cant we just be coached reguraly, use things that have worked for years, and beat people straight up with our own players.  dont go scheme crazy.  get on the ice and play.  just like every other team.

- dont trade off key guys that get you tickets.  tickets are important, but dont make dumb descions based on PR.  build a legit team just like every Stanley cup winner.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#7 : November 15, 2008, 02:47:46 AM

too bad we can't trade an NHL franchise for an NBA one. 

luke99

Starter

#8 : November 15, 2008, 09:35:07 AM

First off TORTS dragged this team down last year and lost the players. 16 Games to turn around a last place team is a joke. dont forget people they came in last,  last year!  Trading Brad was a huge mistake. Not getting a great goalie also was a huge mistake.

What should the Lightning do...... PUNT!!!
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How would you fix the Lightning? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools