Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Both Panthers and Saints without a 2009 1st Round Pick « previous next »
Page: 1

zed

Pro Bowler

« : November 17, 2008, 12:02:06 AM »

We know that Panthers have traded their 1st round pick to the Eagles.  However, did you know that the Saints may have to give up their first round pick to the Giants for Shockey?

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2009/mockdraft.shtml

GIANTS COULD GET A FIRST-ROUNDER FOR SHOCKEY
Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2008, 8:31 p.m. EDT
Several astute readers have pointed out that the Saints’ attempt to trade a second-round pick in 2009 to the Giants for tight end Jeremy Shockey could be hampered by the trade through which the Saints acquired linebacker Jonathan Vilma from the Jets.

Under the trade between the Jets and the Saints, New Orleans will be required to cough up a second-round pick if Vilma participates in 85 percent of the defensive snaps this season, and if the Saints sign Vilma to a contract extension.

So how could the Saints send a potential second-rounder to the Jets and an actual second-rounder to the Giants.

Per Tom Rock of Newsday, the Giants would get the Saints’ first-round pick if the Jets get the second-rounder.  If the Giants get the first-round pick, the Saints’ fifth-rounder falls out of the Shockey deal.

Pertaining to the Bucs, I think this is both good news and bad news.  Bad news because it will make the Giants and Eagles potentially better in the future.  Our division rivals are feeding the beast that is the NFC East.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

« #1 : November 17, 2008, 12:06:47 AM »

Its not like were known to be a team that uses draft picks well

zed

Pro Bowler

« #2 : November 17, 2008, 12:14:48 AM »

The draft is hit and miss for EVERY team.  We've hit on some and missed on some just like EVERY other team.  I think we've been doing alright the past few years, especially putting together a core that we can build around.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

« #3 : November 17, 2008, 12:23:53 AM »

The draft is hit and miss for EVERY team.  We've hit on some and missed on some just like EVERY other team.  I think we've been doing alright the past few years, especially putting together a core that we can build around.

Ill disagree. Teams like the Giants, Colts, Patriots dont hit and miss.

Teams that draft well are always the last teams standing.

Last 2 years we have used our 1st rd picks ok it appears, but its more then round 1

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
« #4 : November 17, 2008, 01:52:39 AM »

The Giants have had a miss or two in recent years. Siniorice Moss? They've missed alot less than we have, but they're still not error free. That said, I think people overblow our misses alot and overlook how well we do with undrafted FA's.

scaredbunny

Second String

« #5 : November 17, 2008, 06:38:23 AM »

What I will never understand is anyone paying an unbelievable amount of money to an unproven commodity. Take Leaf for instance. Something needs to change. Minimum to rookies and give the big bucks to the guys in the trenches who are proven playmakers.

Snake Pliskin

Hall of Famer

« #6 : November 17, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »

If New Orleans keeps tanking they'll probably sit Vilma (or he'll have a mystery injury) to keep the 1st rounder.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Both Panthers and Saints without a 2009 1st Round Pick « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools