Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Todays win bigger than most people know.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : November 16, 2008, 11:02:27 PM

If we defeat Carolina in a few weeks and end up tied, wouldn't head to head be the first tie-breaker?

For the Division, yes.  But for the #2 seed and PO bye, different story if Az also ends up with the same record. In a 3 way tie (TB, Car, Az) in which all 3 teams didn't play each other, first tie breaker is Conference record then Div record.

Correct

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 16, 2008, 11:04:02 PM

The win today also helps the common opponent tie-breaker (if it ever came to that) since the Vikings beat Carolina.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#17 : November 17, 2008, 12:00:30 AM

Giants might be resting their starters week 16 against the Panthers. �The MNF game is a must win. Neither Jake nor Matt Ryan
scare me. I don't think we can overlook that home game against the Saints..Bush will be back and Brees was chucking it all
over the place in the 1st matchup. �As a wildcard team I don't think the bucs can survive. #2 seed is a must.
easy now... i know its a bit of a different situation, but the giants sure as hell didnt rest their starters in the last game of the season last year, did they? I don't think the giants rest their starters... just my opinion

I wouldn't base a whole lot on what the Giants did last season vs. the Pats. That was a game in which the Giants were trying to prevent the Pats from going undefeated. Had the Pats been 12-3 at the time, I'm not sure the Giants play it the same way. Maybe they do but I wouldn't draw conclusions from that particular game.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 16, 2008, 11:43:52 PM

Giants might be resting their starters week 16 against the Panthers. �The MNF game is a must win. Neither Jake nor Matt Ryan
scare me. I don't think we can overlook that home game against the Saints..Bush will be back and Brees was chucking it all
over the place in the 1st matchup. �As a wildcard team I don't think the bucs can survive. #2 seed is a must.
easy now... i know its a bit of a different situation, but the giants sure as hell didnt rest their starters in the last game of the season last year, did they? I don't think the giants rest their starters... just my opinion

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 17, 2008, 12:33:18 AM

I wouldn't base a whole lot on what the Giants did last season vs. the Pats. That was a game in which the Giants were trying to prevent the Pats from going undefeated. Had the Pats been 12-3 at the time, I'm not sure the Giants play it the same way. Maybe they do but I wouldn't draw conclusions from that particular game.
Oh definitely. Like I said, the situations are somewhat different, but it's good to know if you were worried about the Giants resting starters, ya know? Plus it's week 16. Week 17 would make more sense. It's possible the Giants are fighting the Panthers for HFA in that game. Just throwin it out there.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#20 : November 17, 2008, 01:58:41 AM

I don't think it is Coughlin's style to rest his players for 3 consecutive weeks. I think he knows that is a recipe for disaster. The last few seasons it has come down to a team getting hot at the right time, and I think Coughlin knows that better than most.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 17, 2008, 01:59:44 AM

Fisher has said he will not rest players even if they lose at some point...

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 17, 2008, 02:30:17 AM

the Giants 3rd string rb would still be more then enough to give the Panthers fits.

#23 : November 17, 2008, 07:39:55 AM

an 11-5 Bucs team
-  first round bye
-  2nd round IN TAMPA vs Arizona/Carolina winner in RJ
-  NFC Championship IN TAMPA - IF Giants can lose to Redskins or someone else in 2nd round.  (otherwise playing in NY)
-  Super Bowl IN TAMPA

a 10-6 Bucs team 
-  first round AT Arizona or Green Bay in a very difficult game to win on the road

getting to 11-5 is so critical.   so, so critical.

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#24 : November 17, 2008, 01:37:09 PM

The two sites I checked don't support the thesis that division records are used to determine playoff seeding between non-division opponents.

The first (http://home.earthlink.net/~ob1gui/nflrules.htm) states that wild-card tie-breaker rules apply to determine playoff seeding. Those rules are as follows:

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES

Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild-Card tie breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to step one of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tie breaker, all other clubs revert to step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.
In comparing division and conference records or records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor since teams may have played an unequal number of games.
To determine home-field priority among division titlists, apply Wild-Card tie breakers.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.
Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss.

The other, wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs), supports the first.

"The rules below are applied in order until the tie is broken. If three teams are tied for one playoff spot, the rules are applied only until the first team qualifies. If multiple playoff spots are at stake, the rules are applied in order until the first team qualifies, then the process is started again for the remaining teams.[1]

Head-to-head (team with the best record in all games played between the teams tied)

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division. (This is for determining Division Champion; also, if there is a tie for a wild-card berth, this is used for breaking ties within a division.)"

It appears to me that division records only apply to breaking ties between teams within the same division.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 17, 2008, 02:10:40 PM

Exactly Deadmen, a tie between two non-divisions teams are broken by head-to-head first then Conference Record.  Then after that it's common opponents, which they will qualify for.  If they tie in-conference records, right now the common opponents edge lies with the Bucs.

Bucs 3-1
W - Carolina
W - Seattle
L - Dallas
W - Minnesota
? - Carolina

Arizona 1-2
L - Dallas
L - Carolina
W - Seattle
? - Seattle
? - Minnesota

#26 : November 17, 2008, 03:09:27 PM

the NFC record is the first tie breaker..  Bucs have 6 wins with 4 left to play...   Arizona has 5 wins with 5 left to play....   our game vs DETROIT is very important, as that 7th win will put us in the driver's seat to get the NFC record tie breaker over Arizona.  Arizona still plays the Giants, Phily and Vikings...  the tie breaker over Arizona is huge to get that #2 seed and first round bye for the playoffs! 

the Detroit game is huge.  the Carolina game is critical.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Todays win bigger than most people know.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools