Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Florida and USC, huh??? « previous next »
Page: 1

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
: November 23, 2008, 10:19:29 PM

So on a Thursday night, USC gets upset by unranked Oregon State resulting in BCS bedlam. Then 2 days later, UF loses to equally unranked Ole Miss.  But Oregon St. goes on a winning streak and is on the verge (barring a miracle by a very young Oregon team) of winning their conference. Ole Miss meanwhile goes on to mediocrity.

Fast foward to late November...

Florida controls its destiny in its National Title hopes. Just win the last 2, granted they aren't gimmes, and they're in. USC on the other hand has to hope that either FSU or Auburn win upsets this week or Mizzou wins in 2 weeks in the Big 12 CG.

(disclosure note: I am a UF alum so I'm not hating this but, that objective side of my brain is tugging on my Tebow cape asking WTH?)

So my question is why is UF better off losing to a team that ended up 4th in their Conference than USC who lost to a team that is at worst 2nd in their conference and has a better overall record and is higher ranked?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 23, 2008, 10:56:55 PM

never thought if it. SEC is better then the pac-10 but it isnt the same SEC.

Florida plays in the SEC thats why they get the love, no matter if the SEC is down this year people still think well its the SEC. Not to mention people get to see Florida every week not so much USC.

Anyone who thinks USC isnt a BCS team is foolish.

How it goes.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 24, 2008, 01:58:26 PM

i think the strength of schedule is a real issue.  also, while its odd the way it works, being able to win your conference is a necessity.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 24, 2008, 02:07:12 PM

Well the Pac 10, this year is pretty much USC, 7 middle of the road teams and Wash, Wash St. But that doesn't make USC any less good.

And the SEC, this year is UF, Bama, and 10 middle of the road teams. It is better than the Pac because it doesn't have 2 dreadful embarassments at the bottom. But the SEC this year is certainly not as good as the '06 or '07 SEC.

I am hoping that Mizzou beats whoever wins the South in the Big 12. That'll throw everything on it ear.

I think a UF v USC game would be a better game than any of the one dimensional O/no D, Big 12 teams.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 24, 2008, 02:15:06 PM

I think a UF v USC game would be a better game than any of the one dimensional O/no D, Big 12 teams.

I agree.

I don't think there is any doubt that those are the 2 most talented teams on both sides of the ball.  I believe UF or USC would dominate any Big 12 team on a neutral field.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 24, 2008, 06:34:33 PM

I am hoping that Mizzou beats whoever wins the South in the Big 12. That'll throw everything on it ear.

only way that happens is if oregon st loses at oregon.  although who would an undefeated SEC champ play if mizzou did win?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 24, 2008, 10:29:25 PM

only way that happens is if oregon st loses at oregon.  although who would an undefeated SEC champ play if mizzou did win?

no Oregon State loses at home. Oregon hasnt won their since like 98. I hope its this year, cant stand these farweather beaver fans. The last 2 weeks are the only 2 weeks Their toilet bowl has been sold out. USC nope...

LFO

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 25, 2008, 12:45:00 AM

So on a Thursday night, USC gets upset by unranked Oregon State resulting in BCS bedlam. Then 2 days later, UF loses to equally unranked Ole Miss.  But Oregon St. goes on a winning streak and is on the verge (barring a miracle by a very young Oregon team) of winning their conference. Ole Miss meanwhile goes on to mediocrity.

Fast foward to late November...

Florida controls its destiny in its National Title hopes. Just win the last 2, granted they aren't gimmes, and they're in. USC on the other hand has to hope that either FSU or Auburn win upsets this week or Mizzou wins in 2 weeks in the Big 12 CG.

(disclosure note: I am a UF alum so I'm not hating this but, that objective side of my brain is tugging on my Tebow cape asking WTH?)

So my question is why is UF better off losing to a team that ended up 4th in their Conference than USC who lost to a team that is at worst 2nd in their conference and has a better overall record and is higher ranked?

I think more than who UF lost to, it is who they have beaten or will beat.  You stack USC's "quality wins" and UF's, and what do you get?

USC:  Ohio State, and we all know they tend to be a bit overrated.  Who else did USC beat of relevance?

UF:  Georgia, ok, a little disappointing, but still a top 15 team and Alabama who is #1 and undefeated.  Tack on LSU, FSU (yes, ranked now)

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 25, 2008, 10:39:59 AM

never thought if it. SEC is better then the pac-10 but it isnt the same SEC.

Florida plays in the SEC thats why they get the love, no matter if the SEC is down this year people still think well its the SEC. Not to mention people get to see Florida every week not so much USC.

Anyone who thinks USC isnt a BCS team is foolish.

How it goes.

Define BCS team.

If USC had a game coming up vs the top ranked team, they'd be right near the top of the discussion as well.  They're still in the discussion, just not by much.  There are a lot of people who beleive, and I think they have a decent point, that in this system if you don't win your conference you shouldn't have a shot at the BcS title.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Florida and USC, huh??? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools