Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Invisible Man. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
: November 23, 2008, 11:14:02 PM

:-

Which Tampa Bay Wideout is having a "good" year, has 27 catches for 289 yards in ten games, with no touchdowns...and had zero catches today?

Can you guess?

He may get an extension, but this guy is what he is.  He is utility, he can make a snag once in a while, can block occasionally...and wil not, and does not deserve, a big payday come the end of regular.

Sorry guys.  I want to root for him.  But he vanishes too often for my liking.

I watch him make some nice grabs this year.  BUt I have seen him play like crap, and I have seen him do nothing.  I guess you cannot measure him by his stats, but he truly does not deserve a big payday, IMO...

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 23, 2008, 11:15:56 PM

We hear the hype every year...  It just doesn't show up on the field.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 23, 2008, 11:30:03 PM

Vanishing can commence right after the end of the season insofar as I am concerned - will make space for someone who can recieve the ball, run routes and block - perhaps even in that order...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

#3 : November 23, 2008, 11:32:54 PM

I have no problem with the guy's play this year and really wish he'd get more opportunities.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 23, 2008, 11:35:39 PM

No way Michael Clayton gets extended...

donny77

Starter

#5 : November 23, 2008, 11:47:43 PM

I honestly believe we can compare this situation to another reciever that had 1 TD in two years here.  Keyshawn.  But Clayton isn't making aves like Keyshawn.  Both are good recievers.  I've had a theory for about two years.  Their was a photo posted that showed Gruden's play sheet.  You had all the normal sections, first down, third and short, third and long.  But the largest play section was labeled Joey Galloway.

I think it is a fundamental flaw to design a play for a "guy."  Plays should always give the QB 3 options.  Saying a play is designed to get the ball to a certain guy, put pressure on the QB to force it, and makes other options take on a different role.  How many times has Clayton be sent on a route solely to block downfield?  And with that in his mindset, he isn't prepared when the target is covered and the QB throws it to him.  I feel we don't spread the ball around enough.  I feel players are taken out of the play needlessly.  Clayton has played great this year.  The stat won't show it because we are not a passing team.  We only had 18 pass attempts today.  When we do pass, it is often to a TE or RB.  The WRs are getting open, we just don't throw to them.  That isn't Clayton's fault.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 23, 2008, 11:48:48 PM

I have no problem with the guy's play this year and really wish he'd get more opportunities.

Agree.  Some around here seem to be totally ignorant of what goes on on the field.  Hard to do much when you don't get any balls.  Unless your running 3-5 yard patterns, its rare to see anything right now.
He's been open on multiple occasions only to come running back to huddle to do it all over again.  It won't surprise me at all, after a tough loss when Bryant and Clayton run open all day with no balls throw their way, that Bryant doesn't throw a bit of a tantrum, he seems pretty close right now.
Just a hunch here, but i'd bet my paycheck these receivers can't wait to see another QB.

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#7 : November 23, 2008, 11:52:19 PM

Agree.  Some around here seem to be totally ignorant of what goes on on the field.  Hard to do much when you don't get any balls.  Unless your running 3-5 yard patterns, its rare to see anything right now.
He's been open on multiple occasions only to come running back to huddle to do it all over again.  It won't surprise me at all, after a tough loss when Bryant and Clayton run open all day with no balls throw their way, that Bryant doesn't throw a bit of a tantrum, he seems pretty close right now.
Just a hunch here, but i'd bet my paycheck these receivers can't wait to see another QB.

Exactly...I myself get close to throwing a tantrum just watching them get open downfield and not get the ball thrown..I can't imagine how they feel

Can't wait untill luke gets his shot

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 23, 2008, 11:52:31 PM

Looking forward to more from Clayton this year and beyond.

How many passes did Garcia throw to Clayton today? How many did he throw all together today?

13/18.

I think anybody who isn't biased against Clayton can see that he's coming on and is a valuable asset
to this team.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 23, 2008, 11:58:09 PM

Looking forward to more from Clayton this year and beyond.

How many passes did Garcia throw to Clayton today? How many did he throw all together today?

13/18.

I think anybody who isn't biased against Clayton can see that he's coming on and is a valuable asset
to this team.

Nah don't get me wrong, Clayton is valuable compared to his others year in this league.  I would say this is his 2nd best season, sadly.  Anyway, I dont think he has done enough to warrant getting an extentsion from us.  We get his production from somebody else and turn the page on that first round blunder.

We will see, either way, he doesn't deserve a big deal.  He deserves vet minimum.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#10 : November 24, 2008, 12:01:34 AM

Randy Moss could not do any better than Clayton in this offense as it is.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 23, 2008, 11:59:55 PM

I give all our recievers credit for keeping on the charade that is our downfield passing game.  It truly must get discouraging to run these deep patterns time after time knowing your chance of getting a shot is very, very small.  Unless a defender falls or there is a complete blown coverage, it ain't happening.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 24, 2008, 12:16:56 AM

Randy Moss could not do any better than Clayton in this offense as it is.
That is laughable.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 24, 2008, 12:24:51 AM

...and to those who think we are not a passing team, that is debateaable.

There have been many games when the starting QBhas thrown over 40 times.  And in one game, guess what?

67!

The ball gets thrown plenty.  Stop making excuses for Clayton.  EVERY year, he goes in and plays average.  He makes a few grabs, but he is not getting his own set of plays because he has a very limited skill set (physically).  His hands are not elite, his speed is slow, his quicks are negligible, but his physical presence as a wideout is off the chain.  He deserves a small raise, maybe a dollar more than vet minimum.  I mean, to think Antonio Bryant is making less than Clayton is obscene.  And yes I know it happens all the time, but that money should not be thrown at him...or at least a large amount of money should not be thrown to him. 

Once again, I can applaud his presence, a few of his big catches.  BUt his body of work, despite the naysayers, is not worth that much, IMO.  He is definitely a bust, in terms of statistical production.  Imean, once again, the guy has scored ZERO touchdowns.

I hope he gets one next game.  IT will be what?  His first in many many games...?

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#14 : November 24, 2008, 12:40:32 AM

I honestly believe we can compare this situation to another reciever that had 1 TD in two years here.  Keyshawn.  But Clayton isn't making aves like Keyshawn.  Both are good recievers.

That is just not true at all. I was never one to like Key, but you CANNOT compare his two year stretch to Clayton's disappearing act for the past 4 seasons. Key was a very good receiver, some even believe he will garner some attention for the HOF. Not get in, but possibly make a ballot. Clayton so far is a 1 year wonder at WR, and a very good blocker. But Key was a very good blocker too, and he still found time to make catches. Key had 106 receptions and 1266 yards in 15 games in one of those years. Clayton has had 114 catches and 1318 yards SINCE 2004! I don't think you can compare their situations. Key made waves, but he also made plays. Clayton doesn't make waves or plays, he just makes blocks. And that makes him completely replaceable at WR.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Invisible Man. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools