Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Invisible Man. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

acacius

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 24, 2008, 12:46:16 AM

No way Michael Clayton gets extended...

Depends on how he wants to get paid.  He's a perfectly serviceable role-player, and if he's willing to be paid like one, I don't see why the team wouldn't extend him.  It's not as if the team has a roster packed full of hot-shot wide outs that they need to keep room for.

Benficachop

Practice Squad

#16 : November 24, 2008, 12:51:03 AM

Garcia only threw the ball 18 times, and I bet NONE of them was designed to go to Clayton...cant expect him to catch the ball if its never thrown to him.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#17 : November 24, 2008, 12:55:46 AM

Some of you guys act like Clayton is thrown to at least 5 times a game. The truth is the guy is lucky if he even gets 3 passes thrown his way a game. We barely ever throw to the guy so how can you possibly expect him to produce? Both of our starting QB's this year would rather throw the check down to a RB or a TE then take any chance of pushing the ball deep to one of our WR's. I guarantee if we had a QB who would throw it to the WR's instead of checking it down all the time then our WR's would have much better numbers.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#18 : November 24, 2008, 02:29:31 AM

Some of you guys act like Clayton is thrown to at least 5 times a game. The truth is the guy is lucky if he even gets 3 passes thrown his way a game. We barely ever throw to the guy so how can you possibly expect him to produce? Both of our starting QB's this year would rather throw the check down to a RB or a TE then take any chance of pushing the ball deep to one of our WR's. I guarantee if we had a QB who would throw it to the WR's instead of checking it down all the time then our WR's would have much better numbers.

Maybe Garcia, or much more likely Gruden, lost faith in him somewhere along the way. The fact is, Clayton is working on chance #1000 to turn it around and be a quality receiver and he's doing just "eh" is the only way I could describe it. He's looking quicker and better than he has in a while, but considering how he's been playing the past few years, thats not saying a whole lot.

I wouldn't mind re-signing him as a #4 WR if we can draft a starter and keep Bryant. But this talk of him as more than he is has got to stop. He's had more excuses made for him than any other player I have ever seen in my life. SOMETIME he's got to let his play do the talking to where everyone can agree he's a very solid part of this team. Not just those that favor him say "well, he's playing better than the terrible performances he's done in the past, and if you consider...etc etc...".

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#19 : November 24, 2008, 03:25:57 AM

I thought this was going to be about Galloway.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : November 24, 2008, 05:17:09 AM

He had the same stat line as Clayton did...but I get your point.

At least he strung together SEASONS when he was dominating.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#21 : November 24, 2008, 06:29:50 AM

I wouldn't mind re-signing him as a #4 WR if we can draft a starter and keep Bryant.

My thoughts exactly. But, if it comes down to having to sign one or the other, then Antonio Bryant without a doubt. Nevertheless, I'd like to keep Clayton because he still does possess some value to our team in certain areas. To be fair, he's been getting open this year but Garcia just hasn't got him the ball enough. As a #3/#4WR, I'm cool with that.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

#22 : November 24, 2008, 06:48:27 AM

Boid, as someone posted above, if we signed him to a #3/#4 size contract, would you be in favor of that?

fishman

Starter

#23 : November 24, 2008, 06:54:15 AM

me 2. what's the difference. our offense has underperformed since 2002. pick a reason, there are hundreds of them.

"The reality is we came in with a bad salary cap situation and we left with some $50 million under the cap, so it's not like we went out and spent a lot of money on players." JG

#24 : November 24, 2008, 07:58:42 AM

...and to those who think we are not a passing team, that is debateaable.

There have been many games when the starting QBhas thrown over 40 times. And in one game, guess what?

67!

The ball gets thrown plenty. Stop making excuses for Clayton. EVERY year, he goes in and plays average. He makes a few grabs, but he is not getting his own set of plays because he has a very limited skill set (physically). His hands are not elite, his speed is slow, his quicks are negligible, but his physical presence as a wideout is off the chain. He deserves a small raise, maybe a dollar more than vet minimum. I mean, to think Antonio Bryant is making less than Clayton is obscene. And yes I know it happens all the time, but that money should not be thrown at him...or at least a large amount of money should not be thrown to him.

Once again, I can applaud his presence, a few of his big catches. BUt his body of work, despite the naysayers, is not worth that much, IMO. He is definitely a bust, in terms of statistical production. Imean, once again, the guy has scored ZERO touchdowns.

I hope he gets one next game. IT will be what? His first in many many games...?

B-Fink, take it from someone that sits IN the stadium.... dude gets open but gets minimal opportunity.

One thing that has puzzled me for a while about our O is why does it seem to focus exclusively on one WR? Other than 2002, thats has been the trend. There are many teams that keep more than 1 guy happy but ours seems to focus on one at the expense of the others. Right now, its obvious that Bryant is the flavor of the month.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#25 : November 24, 2008, 08:13:57 AM

Bucs need to bring in a younger WR IMVHO to pair with Bryant.

As for the slot Shaun McDonald (or hopefully Dexter Jackson) would be sufficient.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#26 : November 24, 2008, 08:19:12 AM

I think Clayton is a great asset to have.  Great because he has good hands and is a tough guy.  When healthy he's one of the toughest in the league.  Haven't seen him have the opportunity to get a good crack back this year which is his staple play.  Whenever he gets one we usually score on that play or drive.  Don't seel the guy short yet.  TO went weeks in a slump for whatever reason and no one feared he was losing or had lost it...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#27 : November 24, 2008, 08:23:18 AM

After the first few games, Clayton has been catching the ball when it's thrown his way, blocking when he's supposed to. Even plays some special teams. As long as he's on his assignments, I'm fine with his play.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#28 : November 24, 2008, 08:27:05 AM

I think Clayton is a great asset to have. Great because he has good hands and is a tough guy. When healthy he's one of the toughest in the league. Haven't seen him have the opportunity to get a good crack back this year which is his staple play. Whenever he gets one we usually score on that play or drive. Don't seel the guy short yet. TO went weeks in a slump for whatever reason and no one feared he was losing or had lost it...

I agree and for all the garbage he has gone through to still lay out on the line for the team says a ton about the type of guy he has become. I have no issue with Clayton, as a few have said the guy needs some opportunity to catch the damn ball.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#29 : November 24, 2008, 08:30:02 AM

My main point is that when Clayton gets a chance to catch the ball this year he usually does. His numbers are lacking since he rarely he gets thrown to.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Invisible Man. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools